↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > is it like this??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
discocuzzy

England 
Well dont be a walter mitty and talk in riddles..you clearly like to have an opinion and thats great, just dont ram your views down others throats if your not prepared to state what you really do in gaydon, solihull etc Thumbs Up

We all have an interest in whats going to happen so share the love, if you cant because your on some sort of "top secret" mission, dont fire torpedoes in the harbour Thumbs Up

Rant over You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #18917 27th Nov 2009 2:26am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
If developing cost is an issue, why not make a very basic D3 as a replacement for the defender?
Coil springs, Dirty boot friendly interior, do away with as much as possible electronics and don't forget do away with sound isolation.
Cheap and easy and I think it will sell. Rolling with laughter
If LR wants to spent more money they can give the A pillar the body color and maybe changing the front a liitle and you have another look too. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #18918 27th Nov 2009 8:00am
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Well this has certainly got every ones attention now !

Just to add insult to injury.................. i went on an Aston Martin factory tour a few weeks ago as a friend of mine has just bought a V8 Vantage and ordered a V12 Vantage for next year.

Anyway, the top and bottom of this resulted in a friendly chat to an anorak who upon learning that i had said green 90 XS Station wagen and my mate had couty spec Van, both 08 plates blah blah b.......... resulted in us speaking at length to another anorak about the DEFENDER !

From what i gathered upon speaking to the anorak !

They dont seem particularly bothered how many units they sell, admitedly said Anorak "the second one" was more interested in WHY ? the two of us had DEFENDERS.
What we thought the inherrent faults were, why we bought such a vehicle knowing the inherrant problems and why on earth did i buy this one having owned 6 others before this one, oh and where or what the future held !
SO ! Brand loyalty questionaire ?

He did admitt that DEFENDER identified LAND ROVER, and many elderly customers who have only ever had RANGE ROVERS refered to them as "LAND ROVERS" NOT RR's etc.....
The DEFENDER has a status in the market and this is strong, and is an advertising tool in its own branding.

I started to talk SHOP ! and mentioned Loss Leaders, which came up against stern critisism, i was told and quite rightly so that there is no such thing as a loss leader as some one has to pay somewhere,

So maybe this is where the IKON branding has come from ? Maybe ?
He didnt mention Iconic brands or icon "not even with a K in it.

But he did tell the two of us that they were true to their Heritage.
Which can only be good news. DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #18930 27th Nov 2009 11:13am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
discocuzzy, MSE - you're both great contributors to the forum. Let's not have a fight (outside, 5 minutes - if I'm not there, start without me).

I think there's been some misinterpretation of sentiment. Re-reading the thread I don't think there's anything in MSE's comments designed to offend or criticise. He clearly does have some 'inside' knowledge and it is perfectly understandable that he doesn't reveal what or how. You're also both agreeing - maybe there's just too many exclamation marks !!!!!

Why can't we all just get along?! Big Cry Big Cry

Yours
Very sensitive
alantd One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #18932 27th Nov 2009 12:51pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Yea behave Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
Post #18933 27th Nov 2009 12:54pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
discocuzzy wrote:
Well dont be a walter mitty and talk in riddles..you clearly like to have an opinion and thats great, just dont ram your views down others throats if your not prepared to state what you really do in gaydon, solihull etc Thumbs Up

We all have an interest in whats going to happen so share the love, if you cant because your on some sort of "top secret" mission, dont fire torpedoes in the harbour Thumbs Up

Rant over

I do have opinions, im not scared to say it/express it and apply it - i do take a little offence (but not much) over your comments (no harm done either Thumbs Up ) as maybe there was infered vennom on both accounts - but it wasnt as you had read . Sometimes Im wrong - thats life, i admit that: if i am lifes too short.

Im on no top secret mission either, I just hear so much rubbish and conjecture (i dont know it all btw), I try and guide: some info is publically avaliable (like the ali/steel comment - LRJ are on record about that), but people fail to hear, some isnt. Some ill happily say (like the tyre comment), some im not going to put my privledged position (i dont work for them, but do a lot close with them) and my family (who do work for them and with them) at any sort of risk or ruin LR's chance to be the best they can be. I dont know what the end product will be, its not decided yet - but when i took the D3 out 9 months before it was lauched to the press, i didnt share anything then: my actual job involves proper secrets so im used to walking that line.

On the other hand - some decisions arent made until close to the last point they can be...last minute

If you ever go to gaydon, you know what level of division and secrecy there is people on one project design seldom know what the details of the other are. They change things and develop things and there is an ultimate balance of the cost etc. very soon they will start the manufacture planning processing.

Remembering there is a lot more to car production - as you will be aware - than concept, test and go. Research, Capability, supply and parts chains, logistics, processes, lauch, refinement, cost, suppliers, approvals etc.

The best indication will come about 18months before the launch.

All i can say is I love LR (and J) as a brand and their entire product range - i hope they remain british - i hope they have the best successes in all markets - they deserve more good press and less bad press...they are a company and as such they need to make £ and im sure they will.

Their designers are tallented, the teams that make that design reality are skilled and it all must be kept in the UK and developing - the brand is strong, the following is strong.

If only the Bl**dy dealers could represent them as well as the manufacturing division. Big Cry Mike
Post #18938 27th Nov 2009 1:52pm
chalky

[/If only the Bl**dy dealers could represent them as well as the manufacturing division. quote]

So am i right in thinking you are part of the manufacturing division Thumbs Up DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #18949 27th Nov 2009 3:41pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
chalky wrote:
[/If only the Bl**dy dealers could represent them as well as the manufacturing division. quote]

So am i right in thinking you are part of the manufacturing division Thumbs Up

Nope - nothing to do with them, only a friend works for that part Mike
Post #18950 27th Nov 2009 3:54pm
chalky

To be totaly honest i,m really looking forward to seeing the thing, any snippets of information will i,m sure make their way onto this forum,

How many of us will hop across to the next forum as the orders start to stack up !

I,ll have a Bali Blue one one i reckon ! DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #18952 27th Nov 2009 4:42pm
discocuzzy

England 
Bum smacked and now firmly back in my box, Thumbs Up

Mike...i have a present for you..a welsh leisure center........... Sheep You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #18967 27th Nov 2009 7:48pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
chalky wrote:
I,ll have a Bali Blue one one i reckon !

I'm trying to get my 130 in Bali, if only they would release the 10my prices so I could get it ordered Big Cry
Post #18969 27th Nov 2009 7:53pm
discocuzzy

England 
Nice, keeping the faith then Andrew?, i wobbled a bit last week and nearly did a deal on a G4 D3, but now im in love with the 110 again! You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #18972 27th Nov 2009 8:05pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Have both Whistle
Post #18983 27th Nov 2009 9:45pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
me too Whistle Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #19002 28th Nov 2009 7:22am
chalky

discocuzzy

Thats bizzare, i wobbled a bit too last week and yearned for D3 but there is no way i,m paying that much for a D3, i was after a XS from exeter 23K.............

Now i,m firmly back in love with my DEFENDER Embarassed DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #19005 28th Nov 2009 8:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>