↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > is it like this??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
ronp

Scotland 
is it like this??
Anyone got any idea of the new 2012 Defender?

Last edited by ronp on 26th Jan 2018 10:40am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #228 9th Jul 2007 10:35pm
outlaw

Australia 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi DCPU Alpine White
i hope not.... it's going to be a cold day in hell when LR finally abandon their heritage and move to the new one Crying or Very sad
Post #323 14th Aug 2007 1:51pm
solmanic

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Surely with the SUV market as saturated as it is there is still a healthy niche for a "utility" 4WD. 25,000 vehicles a year is nothing to sneeze at so I would hope Land Rover see fit to continue with the current truck-type platform.

Last edited by solmanic on 2nd Sep 2008 12:01am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #377 17th Aug 2007 1:22am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'd like to think you're right - but the problems with the US market for the current Defender is always going to put the case for a major re-design.

I'm with the school of keeping a utility type model though.
Post #421 20th Aug 2007 9:04am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
solmanic

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
What I don't understand is why Land Rover haven't managed to retro-fit some sort of airbag into the Defender. Without knowing the first thing about the mechanics of it, I just find it hard to believe that in a truck the size of a Defender this has been impossible to date.

How do other, larger, rigid-chassis trucks get by? 2007 Defender 110
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV
Post #422 20th Aug 2007 10:02am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I think its mainly because of the amount of re-engineering that would be needed to the bulkhead, just not possible IIRC.
Post #430 20th Aug 2007 11:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

England 
Apart from the deceleration forces on the chassis, distance from steering wheel to A-Pillar and to the driver is part of the problem. In the likes of the L200 and other utility pick-up (I refer to the old model, not the heap of curves and toothpaste they are now selling) you sit a reasonable distance from the wheel. Not possible in a single-cab (although less of a problem in a utility, SW or doublecab). Ditto the distance from the wheel to the a-pillar and side window. You'd end up with a broken wrist and burns when the airbag went off and in a single-cab would have your face pushed through the back of your head. Neither of these are conducive to passing federal crash tests. 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #431 20th Aug 2007 11:12am
pmcg

Have you seen the report on the Autocar website. See the following link:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/227752/
Post #546 12th Sep 2007 6:37pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Well

I think one of the biggest problems that the Defender faces is the new EU requirements refered to the pedestrians friendliness that should be pass in the 2010-2012 if I remember well. As far as I know the Defender doesnt pass it.

Others main points are the Air bags at least for the US market and the safety related to rolling that is an issue not solved yet.

On the other hand the cost of manufacturing a "hand made" car leaves not too much room for profits like in the modern computarized system were a lot of vehicles can be build with almost 0 error and with a fraction of the labour cost that the Defender represents. They are making money with it, but not enough to completely redesign the model keeping the rough style of the Defender.

So, LR have limited resources and the new LRX concept almost drain all the R&D budget and I think that they do not have the capacity to make an all-new Defender in special if they sell only 25,000 per year.

In a tight SUV market the new defender must reach a better share market, if not a new development will not paid. That means several modification to make the model more "friendly" with an obvious compromise of the versality and the off-road capacity.

Its a pitty, but its the market.

regards Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #3471 30th Aug 2008 12:41am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Eduardo wrote:
So, LR have limited resources and the new LRX concept almost drain all the R&D budget and I think that they do not have the capacity to make an all-new Defender in special if they sell only 25,000 per year.

In a tight SUV market the new defender must reach a better share market, if not a new development will not paid. That means several modification to make the model more "friendly" with an obvious compromise of the versality and the off-road capacity.

regards

Im sorry mate thats just rubbish.

1st (having been round the R&D centre) and know people involved there funding etc is not an issue.

2nd the defender volumes are good - profit is always tight but not a worry in terms of development

3rd they have been since the close of the last working on it

4th the defender proves the other models, holds the brands and sells (a lot)

so dont worry Mike
Post #3476 30th Aug 2008 12:20pm
Eduardo

mse wrote:
Eduardo wrote:

regards

Im sorry mate thats just rubbish.

1st (having been round the R&D centre) and know people involved there funding etc is not an issue.

2nd the defender volumes are good - profit is always tight but not a worry in terms of development

3rd they have been since the close of the last working on it

4th the defender proves the other models, holds the brands and sells (a lot)

so dont worry

Hi mse,

Its nice to hear somebody that have other vision of the things! Smile

I have been working for several years in R&D and I know that the funds to develop a car from the beginning to the end implies a LOT of money. Maybe LR R&D have the funds to sketch a new defender in the first stages but all the money involved to make the basic engineering, detail engineering, testing not only for the car, also for the production line I think they don't have. Those funds are already assigned to the LRX concept. Develop 2 cars at the time for a company of the size of LR will be complicated at least.

A production of 25,000 cars per year in an old fashion manner is quite limited (Toyota Cruiser as an example make this amount in one month!, take Jeep, Mitsubishi, or Nissan etc. and you will find that the production lines are far more productive than the Defender) The only way that a new Defender can arrive is that the market share will increase to an interesting volume to LR.

Its not a problem of only R&D. I can assure that a production of 25,000 cars doesn't paid a new production line and R&D involved in all the process included detailed engineering, test and the production line.

But the future is not writen and I hope that TATA will inject some money to save the Defender ao make something similar.

Regards. Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #3480 30th Aug 2008 4:28pm
mse

Im sorry your really wrong on this.

It would be wrong for me to reviel that much.

Track wise is not an issue. R&D budgets and facilities is not an issue (if you havent seen what they have at gaydon then you will be surprise...hence it is widely recognised as the best R&D facilities)

All the money doesnt and never is on 1 line - they have many redesigns running.
Range Rover, LRX, Defender, next Discovery new product and have been running the new defender for a while.

I actually think your wrong on production of defender figures - i seem to recall it is a lot higher than this and that they won a contract for the new defender for that figure. I can easliy find this out.

LRJ are not a toy company. Mike
Post #3481 30th Aug 2008 4:59pm
Eduardo

mse wrote:
Im sorry your really wrong on this.

It would be wrong for me to reviel that much.

Track wise is not an issue. R&D budgets and facilities is not an issue (if you havent seen what they have at gaydon then you will be surprise...hence it is widely recognised as the best R&D facilities)

All the money doesnt and never is on 1 line - they have many redesigns running.
Range Rover, LRX, Defender, next Discovery new product and have been running the new defender for a while.

I actually think your wrong on production of defender figures - i seem to recall it is a lot higher than this and that they won a contract for the new defender for that figure. I can easliy find this out.

LRJ are not a toy company.

Hi mse,

I hope I will be wrong and we can have defenders for a lot of time.

I thiks you and me are seeing a differnt side of the same coin.

I just based my comments in the figures that LR has released and in the price paid by TATA for LR.

To be honest, LR is a medium/small size car company, nothing compare with the biggest ones were the money for R&D are much more than LR could spend I cannot deny that Gaydon have a very good R&D facilities and they are impressed the world with several developments trough the years. But on the other side the market is tighest than in the past given not so much room for profits.

Rise the money to build a new car is other thing and requires to be based in the future profits that cannot be sustained with the current defender sells. If they like to design a replacement for the Defender should be based in a profit that can paid the investment on it and that means more cars and that must be a major change that should include civilizing the Defender with the ovbious compromise with the all terrain possibilities.

By the way, remember that some toys companies like Mattel worth more than LR!.

Regards Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #3482 30th Aug 2008 10:01pm
mse

I am right - not only because ive seen it - but because its no secret - there was even an article in LRO a few months back.

There is huge amounts that go into R&D and if you look back in history you will see R&D spending when LR were part of Rover Group and Leyland werent great and still they produced.

Remember LR is not a company on its own its part of LRJ now which is a division of Tata - before it was part of the PAG group of ford.

One thing i have already said is the future defender will not be like this one - it has already been given 3 yrs life only. Mike
Post #3493 31st Aug 2008 10:54am
Eduardo

mse wrote:
I am right - not only because ive seen it - but because its no secret - there was even an article in LRO a few months back.

There is huge amounts that go into R&D and if you look back in history you will see R&D spending when LR were part of Rover Group and Leyland werent great and still they produced.

Remember LR is not a company on its own its part of LRJ now which is a division of Tata - before it was part of the PAG group of ford.

One thing i have already said is the future defender will not be like this one - it has already been given 3 yrs life only.

mse,

You are right that maybe LRJ spent proportionally more money than others in R&D but stlll is less than other carmakers put in the same area. That can be seen in the models that each company put in the market every year. My tought is that LR have not the capacity to develop several models at the productive level at the same time and that can be seen in an article about the development of new models. R&D budget is allways limited and more in bad times like now were the production is reduced due the market conditions.

In fact LRJ are part of a bigger group but is handle like a isolate productive unit (The same happened were belongin to Ford or BMW or Leyland), may be LR can lend some money from TATA but its just that: a liability that, at the end, will affect the end results.

Both of us are egree that Defender have a limited lifespan. The point is what LR will do: Leave the Defender for undevelopment countries (not our regretably Crying or Very sad ), modify the Defender to a new stage to provide a rough car for Europe and USA at a bigger price, or maybe both.

The problem anyway will be the money required to do the 2nd and 3rd alternatives, if a big part of the budget is allocated now in the LRX.

Regards

Both Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #3593 1st Sep 2008 2:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>