↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > is it like this??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Alex e

England 2006 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Zambezi Silver
you don't have to keep quoting guys, you're chatting to each other Thumbs Up
Post #3596 1st Sep 2008 3:30pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Alex e wrote:

Its true Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #3598 1st Sep 2008 4:48pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Eduardo wrote:
Both of us are egree that Defender have a limited lifespan. The point is what LR will do: Leave the Defender for undevelopment countries (not our regretably Crying or Very sad ), modify the Defender to a new stage to provide a rough car for Europe and USA at a bigger price, or maybe both.

The problem anyway will be the money required to do the 2nd and 3rd alternatives, if a big part of the budget is allocated now in the LRX.

Regards

Both

Grrr - trust me they have enough money for development of it and its being developed Exclamation

The current shape defender will go and a Defender 2 will be launched for the world - by that i mean there will be a new car for Europe, USA and ROW markets Thumbs Up (its being designed NOW) it takes 2-5 years to design a car bottom up

Along with a new RR and Disco etc.

LR have enought R&D budget to develop their brand models (and a new model for that). Dotn worry about the LRX its just a car in the ocean of works. To explain LRJ have more R&D budget money than alot of companies even TATA! Mike
Post #3599 1st Sep 2008 5:09pm
mse

Alex e wrote:

quoting points is allowed Whistle Mike
Post #3600 1st Sep 2008 5:10pm
Eduardo

OK MSE,

I think you and I have different oppinions and that's good. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Only time will said who will be right (and I hope you will)

Cheers! Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #3603 1st Sep 2008 7:19pm
mse

Eduardo wrote:
OK MSE,

I think you and I have different oppinions and that's good. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Only time will said who will be right (and I hope you will)

Cheers!

Like ive been telling you without telling you - ive seen it Rolling Eyes Mike
Post #3607 1st Sep 2008 8:41pm
solmanic

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Eduardo wrote:
The point is what LR will do: Leave the Defender for undevelopment countries (not our regretably Crying or Very sad ), modify the Defender to a new stage to provide a rough car for Europe and USA at a bigger price, or maybe both.

Regardless of the available funds for development, the Defender is still waaaayy cheaper than it's closest rival (in Australia at least), the 76 series Landcruiser. Surely LR have a lot of room to move in their end pricing based on the limited alternatives. If they can ultimately produce a "modern" Defender with 21st century build quality then I reckon they would be justified in hiking the price more than just a little.

At the moment Defender is marketed as the "best" 4x4 - but people often overlook that for what you get, it is also one of the cheapest! In Australia it is priced at between $50K - $55K. I honestly believe that even if it jumped up by $10K most of us would still buy one. 2007 Defender 110
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV
Post #3613 2nd Sep 2008 12:17am
Eduardo

Solmanic,

Thats true but prices can vary from market to market.

The problem is if an increment of US$10K in the general price plus the volume of the USA market considering a vehicle that fulfills EU/USA normatives but keeping the same style will paid the whole operation.

In the past when USA banned all the new vehicles without airbags LR finally drop this market taking in account that the sales volume for this "heavy work" car will not paid the investment to be done.

Regards Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #3616 2nd Sep 2008 6:04am
Alex e

England 2006 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Zambezi Silver
mse wrote:
Alex e wrote:

quoting points is allowed Whistle

I know Rolling Eyes Whistle Laughing
Post #3617 2nd Sep 2008 8:10am
Baz

1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Atlantis Blue
Anyone heard any more on this? I've heard that the new laws on safety for pedestrians is actually coming in next year! Is that true? So the Defender would be obsolete by this time next year. Does anyone know if these laws are indeed coming that quick? I know LR have plans and designs because I've spoken to a girl in the office there, but I wonder if it's progressed in the past few months given the downturn. I heard last week that even the LRX is on hold. Sooner or later we will HAVE to do something about on-street parking.
Post #7766 25th Feb 2009 10:22pm
Eduardo

No idea really.

Last informations (2008) said that the new model Defender II will came in 2013 - 2014 but this is quite old.

Currently automotive car makers (LR included) are struggling to have decent red numbers to get some help from the government to sort the crisis and dont fall and that means reduce operations to the minimum (including R&D).

My tought is that the plans will be delayed at least 2 or 3 years, but as you said if the new pedestrian law is passed the Defender will become obsolete as it is. So, LR should be in a quite complex scenario.

Cheers Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #7782 26th Feb 2009 3:42pm
Baz

1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Atlantis Blue
Cheers Eduardo. I'll do some digging when I get time and post here if there's anything of interest. Sooner or later we will HAVE to do something about on-street parking.
Post #7812 27th Feb 2009 12:55pm
RgrBox

United States 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Hell.. I wish they'd stay with the look they have, and do what's needed to get it to the US market.. I may be having to move back to the States soon, and selling mine before I move is making be feel crappy.. I want to keep it.. but can't bring it over.. I'd be forced to buy something else.. Confused 2008 110 2.4 tdci csw
Landrovers of Switzerland Club member
Post #18883 26th Nov 2009 1:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discocuzzy

England 
MSE...im in Gaydon every month as i supply the majority of their computer equipment (CAD stations/Storage etc) you are so far wrong its untrue!

Next defender will be on a D3 platform, body style to be discussed but they need to sell more units FACT, they need to sell in the states FACT, and they need to compete with the volume offerings from Nissan, Toyota etc.

No automotive company will re tool a new line to produce a vehicle that sells 25k units world wide, it just doent make sense.

The only dilema they have is keeping all of the thousands of Landrover fans happy that the new model will still retain some heritage, however the guys driving the business dont give a toss about sentiment, they just want products that deliver profit margins....funny enough, just like any other business.

I suggest you do a bit more research before slating eduardo my friend Thumbs Up You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #18890 26th Nov 2009 3:48pm
mse

discocuzzy wrote:
MSE...im in Gaydon every month as i supply the majority of their computer equipment (CAD stations/Storage etc) you are so far wrong its untrue!

Next defender will be on a D3 platform, body style to be discussed but they need to sell more units FACT, they need to sell in the states FACT, and they need to compete with the volume offerings from Nissan, Toyota etc.

No automotive company will re tool a new line to produce a vehicle that sells 25k units world wide, it just doent make sense.

The only dilema they have is keeping all of the thousands of Landrover fans happy that the new model will still retain some heritage, however the guys driving the business dont give a toss about sentiment, they just want products that deliver profit margins....funny enough, just like any other business.

I suggest you do a bit more research before slating eduardo my friend Thumbs Up

Im not sure how ive slated him...especially on a post thats soo old Rolling with laughter but ok

You may go into Gaydon every month - Im a lot closer to this than i care to let on (i did but ive just removed it in this post)

Ive not disagreed with you in pleasing the fans...fact
Ive not disagreed with the fact that they will be using similar platforms...fact (i mean come on its common bl**dy sense!)
They do re-tool lines often, have you seen the automated range rover line at solihull?
I agree they want to increase volume and sell in the US markets (and extend other - which they are already doing)
Oh and they do have a larger R&D budget than some other companies...fact

So please oh mighty one enlighten me where we are disagreeing and ill see if i can highlight where you are wrong or where we agree.

contractors funny things Mike
Post #18914 27th Nov 2009 1:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>