↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > CDN 038's Niagara Grey 110 Td5... ongoing upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 13 <123 ... 789 ... 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
awesome thread CDN. Must say feel like I have "under-complicated" things as far as fitting the second row Tdci seats go! So much more to what is really needed. Going to need to give this way more thought before taking the plunge. Also very worried about all the other nasties that I'll find along the way. My truck is 16 years old and in need of some TLC in places.

Do you get the sloping wheel arch panels made by someone to a set of measurements or make them yourself?

Keep up the good work.
Post #523210 11th Apr 2016 9:29pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
WOW... has it really been this long? Have I really been this busy since I have updated this? I suppose yes is the answer.

So... where were we? Oh, Dinitrol, I guess that's up next. Ok, well let's get this thing in the air and get started.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Complete wrap of plastic and mask off all the bits that I don't want coated. I recently replaced all the bushings with the YRM stainless Polybush kit, they won't ever rust, so why cover them with Dinitrol? Carefully masked over the bushes and hardware. I must admit, removing the fuel tank, makes this job so much easier. After masking most of the underside, I removed the exhaust too. It gives more room to move around underneath, and I know when spraying the underside, there will be more room to manouver the spray gun to access some of the usually difficult areas to reach.

Click image to enlarge

Being able to treat the entire underside of the rear floor is so worth it. Accessing that area with the tank in just isn't possible to the extent that I was able to, as well the inward facing areas of the frame and cross member.

Started mid day, and by the wee hours of the morning, it was done. All clean and beautiful!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Still a long way to the finish line though. Doors, trim, fuel tank... the list continues....not to mention the engine hasn't been turned over since December. (stay tuned for that one!!)

Click image to enlarge
 it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #535700 29th May 2016 7:39pm
CDN38

Lancerdoc999 wrote:

Do you get the sloping wheel arch panels made by someone to a set of measurements or make them yourself?

Keep up the good work.

Fabricated the wheel arch panels with a buddy of mine that owns the shop I am doing the work at ( Rovalution Automotive ) Made from scratch from sheet aluminum using a large brake, a small vice brake, and hand tools.

We made a cardboard mock-up first, then transferred that to the aluminum sheet. Make a fold, then test fit, make another fold then test fit. Lots of minor adjustments and tweaking... and patience! it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
Post #535703 29th May 2016 7:47pm
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
Did you remove the fuel tank to do the treatment? I'm going to start the rear seat upgrade soon, would it help to remove the fuel tank and rear tub floor to do the seat upgrade, assuming this is even possible? Thanks
Post #536646 1st Jun 2016 9:01pm
CDN38

I wanted to be completely thorough on the treatment, and had the time and space to remove the tank. Made the whole treatment process not only easier, but allowed me to galvanize and powder-coat the tank cradle and tank retaining strap (the cradle was quite rusty, but still in good shape) and access the underside of the tub where I would not have had the tank been there.

As far as access for the seat upgrade, it's not really any different with the tank in or out.

Click image to enlarge
 it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
Post #536656 1st Jun 2016 9:11pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
CDN,..Very special thread, thanks for taking the time to explain a VERY thorough resto.
By the way, where did you gain your skills, which are obviously, "comprehensive"?
Well done, I think this Defender will live forever. Pickles.
Post #536722 1st Jun 2016 11:30pm
FunkyMunky

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Wow..... First of all let me say what an excellent thread this is but wish that I had found it earlier!

I may have bitten off more than I can chew here. I today received some Tdci second row seats to replace those god awful CSW seats, but hadn't realised what was involved until now! Shocked

I have already removed the old seat mounts and found corrosion holes but was intending on patching those up. Now after reading this thread I have realised that this is now going to be a much bigger project than intended and I can feel the OCD kicking in! Rolling Eyes

Fortunately, with these seats I also got all of the brackets, mounting components, etc so the parts I will need are few and fairly inexpensive. Looks like I will need some new grinding/slitting discs and fixings!!

Anyway, thanks again for a very comprehensive guide. Thumbs Up
Post #539193 10th Jun 2016 6:57pm
FunkyMunky

db950 wrote:
Nice work indeed, enjoyed reading through.

Heres my solution to the rear seat cut-out,

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hi, am about to embark on this second row modification myself. Don't suppose you kept the measurements for these did you? Please say yes! :|

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #539203 10th Jun 2016 7:48pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Post #539799 13th Jun 2016 10:57am
FunkyMunky

Great! Cheers! Thumbs Up
Post #539845 13th Jun 2016 2:01pm
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
Tiger wrote:
See here http://www.defender2.net/forum/post317507.html#317507

Hi Tiger,

would you do the panel like you did or if you did it again change the whole section to a different slope angle?

Don't the seats have some sort of bracket that they rest on which attaches to the sloping panel?

Thanks
Post #539905 13th Jun 2016 7:14pm
FunkyMunky

Just had a look at the seats that I am putting in. They're from a 2010 TDCi and like you say, have a bracket they sit on. I was planning on seeing where this corner of the seat will sit before doing any cutting, but the pad on the corner is supposed to sit horizontally. Shocked

Hmmmm.. Rolling Eyes
Post #539912 13th Jun 2016 7:41pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Lancerdoc999 wrote:
Tiger wrote:
See here http://www.defender2.net/forum/post317507.html#317507

Hi Tiger,

would you do the panel like you did or if you did it again change the whole section to a different slope angle?

Don't the seats have some sort of bracket that they rest on which attaches to the sloping panel?

Thanks

The load bearing fixing points are at the front and the rear floor.

There is a 'rest' that can only be a guide / stop flexing where your talking about but it doesn't seem totally nesascary and certainly isn't a fixing.
Post #539922 13th Jun 2016 8:31pm
db950

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
FunkyMunky wrote:

Hi, am about to embark on this second row modification myself. Don't suppose you kept the measurements for these did you? Please say yes! Neutral

Hi, I do have the measurements or at least could measure them but think Tiger has you sorted!!

FunkyMunky wrote:
Just had a look at the seats that I am putting in. They're from a 2010 TDCi and like you say, have a bracket they sit on. I was planning on seeing where this corner of the seat will sit before doing any cutting, but the pad on the corner is supposed to sit horizontally. Shocked

Hmmmm.. Rolling Eyes

I used the tdci corners pads, cut them in half, sat the bottom bit on the sloped front and held the top bit in position horizontal against the seat buffer then clamped together removed and welded back together. Don't have a photo handy but could take one later if it would help!
Post #540058 14th Jun 2016 2:30pm
FunkyMunky

A photo would be great! Cheers! Thumbs Up
Post #540061 14th Jun 2016 2:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 13 <123 ... 789 ... 111213>