↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Classic Keswick in Oz!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
YOLO110

Australia 
Unless of course it is 'Limestone' white... Cool YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #446972 18th Aug 2015 2:26am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Congratulations Cool
Post #446987 18th Aug 2015 8:11am
nidge n

A thing of bueaty Pete. Thumbs Up
Post #447101 18th Aug 2015 2:55pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Cheers guys!

Fitting my 'traditional' fold up side steps atm! They look great, but the bloody M8 'rivnuts' are too hefty to use the 'homemade rivnut tool' system Mad YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #447158 18th Aug 2015 6:38pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Update 7 weeks and 1800km into ownership!

It's been a bit of a 'journey' deciding what to 'do'! Having modded YOLO110 to the 'nth' degree with all the external 'bling', I decided that I wanted to keep my 'classic' 90 in Keswick Green simply 'classic'... AND OEM as far as possible!

So, whilst modifications are almost a 'must', I have tried to stick to this mantra and today I have my truck looking pretty much how she will stay! Perhaps my biggest challenge has been whether to go 'Limestone' white with the wheels and the roof! But given the 90 was not produced OEM with a Limestone wheel/roof combo, I have decided (for the moment!) to keep the factory OEM colours of Keswick Green with Fuji White wheels and roof!

So, externally the mods are!

1: 'Traditional' Defender badging and location front and rear
2: Australian OEM genuine Defender Bullbar (SO SO lucky to have found one of these in matching 'Brunel Silver') Smile)
3: OEM Defender steering guard
4: Wolf HD wheels with OEM Continental Cross Contact tyres to replace the narrow 'steelies' with the Michelin Latitude
5: OEM towbar
6: OEM traditional 'sidesteps'
7: OEM orange front indicator lenses
8: Non OEM 100W driving lights
9: Licence plate acknowledging the first year of Defender production in 'YR 1948' :>)

Internal, I have also added some FCX leather dash trims in a matching 'Keswick' green and a MOMO 'Nero' steering wheel!
Further internal mods will be some soundproofing, a custom made rear drawer system and electrics for a fridge and dual battery install (I am removing the rear seats). I have some trips planned with a 'camper trailer'!

So, overall, VERY happy with the 90... Very Happy Compared with my amazing Indus silver and black pack 110 the main differences are;

1: Much 'nippier'!
2: FAR better turning circle
3: Less storage!
4: More 'ME'!

The last point is perhaps the most important... I feel like I am driving in the Defender I first sat in when I was a wee lad and later learnt how to drive! (still learning!)

Anyway, enough rambling! Here are some photos taken today on a HOT 37C Sydney 'Spring' day!!!

[/url]
[/url][/img]

[url=http://postimage.org/][/url][/img]

Cheers,

Pete Very Happy YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #460931 6th Oct 2015 11:49am
Vintagepaul

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
That's looking really good Pete. Thumbs Up

Any pictures of the dash upgrade? Was it a straightforward job to install?

Thanks. 2015 Defender 90XS HT
Post #460934 6th Oct 2015 12:44pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Looking good, Pete.
Funnily enough, I was just thinking yesterday that I hadn't heard anything about (Mr. or Mrs.?) "keswick" for a while so it was really good to have your update.
Couldn't see the front crash plate, but you went for the LR ribbed aluminium item?...and yes, some good detailed interior shots of the modified items would be a MUST!!
Well done, Pickles.
NB: Have you named "He or She" yet?
Post #461148 6th Oct 2015 11:05pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Paul,

The dash 'upgrade' was simply the FCX '3 Piece Dash Kit'. I had my made in a 'Green' recommended by Mitch. It works well!

http://www.fcx.co.uk/#!product/prd1/259227...-(3-piece)

Easy fit... takes about 15 minutes tops. Just a total of 6 'torx' bolts to remove and refit.

Very impressed with the quality... not only the leather but also the stitching.

Martin, many thanks!

Indeed I did end up fitting the 'ribbed' steering guard version... keep in 'OEM' as you say! My hand was 'forced' on this a bit as the OEM Bullbar makes the re-fitting of the standard OZ 'Wombat' steering protector impossible.

All the 'mods' are easily reversible so I can get back to a totally standard 90 very easily! Very Happy

Very pleased! Very Happy YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #461184 7th Oct 2015 8:14am
Vintagepaul

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Thank's for the link Pete, They are only about half an hour from me so I shall go down and get some ordered! Thumbs Up 2015 Defender 90XS HT
Post #461200 7th Oct 2015 8:48am
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Really nice defender, yours is now one of my favourites on here Thumbs Up

I love my 110 but 90's do look the best
Post #461218 7th Oct 2015 9:39am
YOLO110

Australia 
Cheers mate! Very Happy YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #461220 7th Oct 2015 9:43am
YOLO110

Australia 
Vintagepaul wrote:
Thank's for the link Pete, They are only about half an hour from me so I shall go down and get some ordered! Thumbs Up

Good stuff.

I was very impressed with their customer service too. (thanks again Mitch!) Thumbs Up YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #461225 7th Oct 2015 9:56am
Venomator

United Kingdom 
YOLO110 wrote:
Update 7 weeks and 1800km into ownership!

It's been a bit of a 'journey' deciding what to 'do'! Having modded YOLO110 to the 'nth' degree with all the external 'bling', I decided that I wanted to keep my 'classic' 90 in Keswick Green simply 'classic'... AND OEM as far as possible!

So, whilst modifications are almost a 'must', I have tried to stick to this mantra and today I have my truck looking pretty much how she will stay! Perhaps my biggest challenge has been whether to go 'Limestone' white with the wheels and the roof! But given the 90 was not produced OEM with a Limestone wheel/roof combo, I have decided (for the moment!) to keep the factory OEM colours of Keswick Green with Fuji White wheels and roof!

So, externally the mods are!

1: 'Traditional' Defender badging and location front and rear
2: Australian OEM genuine Defender Bullbar (SO SO lucky to have found one of these in matching 'Brunel Silver') Smile)
3: OEM Defender steering guard
4: Wolf HD wheels with OEM Continental Cross Contact tyres to replace the narrow 'steelies' with the Michelin Latitude
5: OEM towbar
6: OEM traditional 'sidesteps'
7: OEM orange front indicator lenses
8: Non OEM 100W driving lights
9: Licence plate acknowledging the first year of Defender production in 'YR 1948' :>)

Cheers,

Pete Very Happy

Item 4. > So what happened... Whistle

YOLO110 wrote:
Interesting about the HD 'Wolf' wheels. I thought I would definitely get these to replace the simple solid white 5.5 inch steels with the 'old fashioned' 7.5 c X 16 R tyres... but having the truck now, I do believe I have changed my mind about this!

HD's look great and yes, give a better range of tyre options. But having seen and now living with this combo, it actually REALLY suits the classic look... I love it! Not to mention the obvious that keeping is standard will save me some good wedge!

Great looking truck Pete, and some excellent mod work being undertaken... Thumbs Up

I say being, because I am sure it won't stop there, so keep us posted matey... Mr. Green
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #461256 7th Oct 2015 12:03pm
jk84

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Pete, it looks great, one can tell there is a lot of thought and love going into this one Thumbs Up A very tasteful 90. I would be tempted to suggest a less dominating bull bar, but that's a purely personal preference. Very nice job overall! MY15 Aintree 110 SW - for sale - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82781.html
MY16 Santorini 90 HT - sold
Post #461272 7th Oct 2015 12:42pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Rog.

Wolf HD wheels!! LOL! Laughing

Well, they arrived and they stayed! And as 3 were paint chipped, Paddock agreed to a 'deal' with me and the matter was finally put to bed!

Tyres. I decided on the OEM Continental tyres as the option of the Wranglers went pear shaped... and in any event I was very pleased with the Continentals on my 110... quiet on the highway but pretty damn good off road too!

I love the look of the HD's! They really suit the Defender imho. Cool

JK.

It looks 'bigger' in the photos than it does in 'real life' mate!

I looked at all the options, including the most important one here in OZ... being 'fit for purpose'! I am planning some big trips and the chances of a 'Roo' strike are quite high... so the BullBar had to provide the best protection rather than just 'look good' as well!

I like the tubular bars from a 'looks' point of view... indeed I was going to fit a 'First Four' type. But they all leave a lot of the front end very vulnerable to damage if the worse happens! That is a 'no no' if you are out in the bush with a stiffed radiator etc! The Australian 'TJM' and 'ARB' bars are VERY heavy, both in looks, weight and cost! but I was pretty close to getting the ARB version. But then a bit of persistent detective work found a GENUINE Landrover Bullbar (no longer made!). It is OEM, offers complete front end protection, is not too heavy, and actually suits the Defender look 'in the flesh' very well. I also got a GREAT deal from LR on it too! Very Happy

My plan will be to remove it when I have finished my travels anyway and refit the bumper! Only 6 bolts and it's off! YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #461375 7th Oct 2015 7:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>