↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Double-Cardon propshafts for a 2" lift
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Double-Cardon propshafts for a 2" lift
Hello team Defender, I wonder if I could pick your brains on a infrequently discussed topic please.

I need to do a 2" lift on my 90 so that I can (hopefully) get full articulation of the wheels offroad with the wider MaxTrax alloys and tyres fitted.

My plan for this is to phone Devon4x4 up and get them to build one of their suspension packages, I was thinking something along the lines of:

OME shocks
Eibach or OME springs (+2" lift, medium strength)
Caster correction front radius arms
Turrets, relocation cones, rear radius arms
Extended stainless brake hoses

similar to one of their existing kits (http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page=sho...;Itemid=14) but less competition focused.

However on the top of prop-shafts, my research has led me to believe that a 2" lift is on the marginal side of if you should get wide angle props. Bearing in mind that I want to maximum my chances of reliability by buying quality components - what is the low down on double cardon propshafts?

Is there any downside to the double-cardon type other than price? Gwyn-Lewis seem to be highly recommended, so I was thinking about:

http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/product/300t...a-ext-605/

combined with one of their wide angle rears. One concern I have is that these use larger non-standard UJs which might be difficult to source when they need replacing, but I guess I could just order a couple of spares up front if I order the propshafts.

I'm often accused (with some justifiation Razz ) of buying stuff which is way beyond what I actually need - but breaking down while a long way from home is something which I am prepared to pay extra up front to reduce the possibility of - and I think this comes into that category.

A second question which I'm sure Devon4x4 could answer anyway, what happens to your anti-roll bars when you raise a truck? Do they just rotate down the extra couple of inches, or do you have to modify/remove them?

Thanks in advance ladies and gentlemen!
Chris A.
Post #444861 10th Aug 2015 1:28pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
If your going to as much trouble of changing all of that perhaps considered looking at the King suspension package from D44.

ARB's would probably need to be removed as they impair articulation anyway.
Post #444870 10th Aug 2015 1:56pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
IIRC the D44 DC props are marginally cheaper than the GL ones. Either manufacturer will use standard UJs which should be available easily off-the-shelf for the foreseeable future.

On a TD5 you may get away with a WA prop rather than a DC for a 2" lift, but if it was a TDCi (with the driveline pitched up at the front) you'ld need a DC.
Post #444883 10th Aug 2015 2:52pm
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Thanks for the replies.

While that King setup looks fantastic Steve, I also think its probably a bit extreme for my purposes Smile

I think you're saying that a a DC setup would only be advantageous blackwolf, which was my primary question, so I'll get that ordered (well at least chat to the Gwyn Lewis team), cheers!
Post #445167 11th Aug 2015 12:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1