Home > Puma (Tdci) > Reversing light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
konabikes11 wrote:
That's brilliant Blackwolf Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up thank-you

You're welcome, glad to be of service! Let us know how you get on.
Post #44163 2nd Nov 2010 3:36pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Well still haven't bothered to get it sorted just yet Whistle But for some random reason the reversing light decided to spring into life today well for a day then stopped again Rolling with laughter i'm thinking either something is loose or the switch is getting stuck or something Confused Either way got to go dealers soon anyway so probably get it sorted at the same time (hand brake re-call) Either way when it is working is there any brighter bulbs or LED's anyone can recommend? Thumbs Up
Post #67878 18th Apr 2011 8:35pm
bartsimp

1987 Defender 90 2.5 TD ST Keswick Green
Hi,

It looks like I have the same issue, i'll be swapping with fog light tomorrow but fuse (n14) and bulb are both ok.
Post #116619 18th Jan 2012 10:18pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
bartsimp wrote:
Hi,

It looks like I have the same issue, i'll be swapping with fog light tomorrow but fuse (n14) and bulb are both ok.

I could never work it out myself so went to main dealer and they fixed it for free Thumbs Up
Post #116624 18th Jan 2012 10:33pm
bartsimp

Ok, and you don't know what they did at all?
Post #116629 18th Jan 2012 10:40pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I'm afraid that I forgot to ask at the time. By my own conclusion I think it was the switch on the gearbox either stuck loose or faulty. I checked and tested everything else out that I could. either way they took no time fixing it so doubt it's much wrong. Good luck Thumbs Up
Post #116633 18th Jan 2012 10:54pm
bartsimp

Ok, interesting it was a fast fix on their side. Thanks
Post #116645 18th Jan 2012 11:17pm
bartsimp

I tried all combinations of lights swapping during lunch and no luck... I'll try to look under the car but looks like the contactor is at fault.
Post #116763 19th Jan 2012 3:27pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Had a similar problem with mine when the switch didn't work one day. Checked the bulb resistance, did the bulb swap - bulb OK. Checked the voltage present on the connector pins - occasionally got 8V rather than 12V - and appeared to be high source resistance - ie not enough grunt to light the bulb.

Looked at where the switch is and the difficulty of getting to it .......put it down for a job for another day. In the meantime noticed that the light lit sometimes but not others - so thought intermittent connection. Put my hand up and wiggled the connector a bit. Not sure this actually worked but after going in and out of gear about 20 or 30 times....the fault cleared. Strangely there was never the flicker you expect with an intermittent - it was either on or off and wasn't affected by wiggling the gearstick or engine load/movement.

So summary - I put my problem down to the fact that the switch contacts just got stuck or did not work properly.

Having not seen the switch does anyone know if it is mechanically actuated - ie the gearbox pushes a button/closes contacts or whether it is a reed switch/magnetically operated?

At the last warranty service had LR look at it - no fault found, but they did change the bulb as a precaution
Post #116858 19th Jan 2012 8:24pm
bartsimp

Here's what it looks like on the outside

From workshop manual, pages 957 to 960
Post #116862 19th Jan 2012 8:34pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
bartsimp wrote:
Here's what it looks like on the outside

From workshop manual, pages 957 to 960

Doesn't help solve my question thanks
Post #117111 20th Jan 2012 7:41pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
SteveS wrote:
Having not seen the switch does anyone know if it is mechanically actuated - ie the gearbox pushes a button/closes contacts or whether it is a reed switch/magnetically operated?

Mechanical.
Post #117198 21st Jan 2012 12:22am
custom90

United Kingdom 
I found since having an LED bulb it was working great all bar I'm not happy with the brightness. I then changed back to the 21w filament bulb and it stopped working again. Today I took my rear step off to check it all out with the multimeter also and found everything present and correct power to all terminals nothing loose ect. I tried not one but two filament bulbs 21w ones both in working order and nothing at all yet I put in the LED and it works. Am I using the wrong wattage bulbs or something?
Post #147068 25th May 2012 5:15pm
mermoto

blackwolf wrote:
Sorry, no photos. The switch is very well hidden!

The workshop manual for the Puma says that to get to the switch you ned to remove the gear levers and then the floor panel that forms the transmission tunnel, but this looks to me to be a real PITA, especially with carpets in the way.

The - much easier - way I got at mine was to remove the cubby box between the seats, peel back the carpet on the seat box (there are two pieces of carpet on the box, one on the right and one the left, so there is a longitudinal join at the cetnre - very handy) then remove the access panel in the box itself (five screws, then 'break' the sealant to lift the panel out).

The reverse light switch can then be seen (if you stick your head in the hole between the seats) and accessed with a 22mm open-ended spanner. It is located on the top left hand side of the gearbox, perhaps two or three inches forward from the front of the seat box. The switch is clearly visible, and it is the only switch in the vicinty so you can't really mistake it. It still isn't easy to get at, but it is at least possible.

The connector on the switch has one of those press-to-release-a-catch type clips, so squeeze the flat sides together with your fingers before pulling.

Hope this helps.

Following on from Blackwolfs really great info I set about checking why my reversing light was working intermittantly. Here are some pictures of the job which was straight forward although my hands and arms got pretty scratched trying to remove and reinsert the reverse switch. Evil or Very Mad I tested the switch and found it ok so I pushed the ball bearing in and out a good few time to make sure it was free moving. I believe the fault is caused by the switch needing to be tightened fully to ensure the ball is pushed far enough into the switch for it to work. One big tip to do this job is to make sure you have a very short 22 open ended spanner as the access is real tight.

Access to the switch is below the cubby box, the yellow mark indicates where to find the switch underneath the panel.

Click image to enlarge

The cubby removed and the panel beneath is held in by four screws when this is taken out you can see the top of the gearbox. Worth noting a little bit of rust forming at the back of the inspection hatch caused by the metal to metal contact with the hatch lid. This was duely cleaned and prepped prior to closing everything up after doing the switch

Click image to enlarge

Looking towards the front left of the gearbox you can just see the switch.

Click image to enlarge

Removing and inserting the switch was easier sitting in the drivers seat using my left hand to turn it.

Click image to enlarge

Switch removed

Click image to enlarge

The switch removed was clean and just needed pushing in and out a few times to ensure full movement. Make sure the switch is a firm spanner fit when reinserted so the ball actuator is pushed in fully to operate the switch when reverse is sellected.

Click image to enlarge

I spent a good three hours doing this job, no hurry. At first I found it almost impossible to get my hand in to the space but after a few minutes contorting myself I eventually made progress.

Another job jobed, hope this helps anyone with a dead reversing light find the fault. Smile

Mermoto
Post #175215 12th Oct 2012 8:50pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That's excellent Mermoto. Thumbs Up I think the main reason why so many have such difficulty (including myself) was the area in which it is positioned. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #175239 12th Oct 2012 10:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>