↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Reversing light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
mse wrote:
If the reversing light connector and bulb work on the fog side (does the fog work on reversing side?)

Has to be a fualt from connector back. First think to check is that you are getting 12v at the connector - wire the multimeter up to the connector (probe in each side) set the right voltage reading and turn on.

Next if you get 0 there recheck the fuse but if your multimeter tests for continuity fast way is set it to it - exposed contacts one either side and test.

If the fuse is ok (check all just in case) and the connector is still 0 have a quick look for faults at the socket and then the loom 30 seconds before driving to the dealer with a gift (your car) for them!

Nope both light bulbs and holders ONLY work on fog side. I have checked ALL fuses now and there still is nothicg and it hasn't been used heavy off road ect so i highly doubt any cable damage. The reversing light was working when i first had it but only recently found out it wasn't anymore. All i can think of is the reverse switch has gone or is faulty of which is a warrenty item. i.e. engages power when R is selected. As far as i'm aware theres no legal requirement but i would like to get it sorted. Biggest problem my "local" LR dealer is 22 miles away and i don't really relish the idea of wasting a day just for that. It is under warrenty can they pick up and deliver?
Post #37249 28th Jul 2010 5:46pm
jlerra

Gibraltar 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Sounds like the gearbox reversing switch
Sounds as though the switch on the gearbox that governs the reversing light may be faulty or the connections on it damaged/disconnected - have a look underneath!!
El pepe flamenco JLS
'El Pepe Flamenco'
Post #37260 28th Jul 2010 6:17pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Re: Sounds like the gearbox reversing switch
jlerra wrote:
Sounds as though the switch on the gearbox that governs the reversing light may be faulty or the connections on it damaged/disconnected - have a look underneath!!
El pepe flamenco

Do you have a picture or some guidelines as to where, how and what to be looking for? I am thinking this also
Post #37261 28th Jul 2010 6:21pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
If my Disco was anything to go by the reverse switch is at arms length on top of the bell crank gearbox housing. Best way to see it is with a bright torch and a mirror. They can become clogged with Censored and are notoriously temperamental if you have had any waxoyling underbody protection carried out and it may have been sprayed. The linkages may also have worked loose that precludes it from working. Basically get underneath with bright torch and a mirror and look see as a starting point! Hope this helps.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #37266 28th Jul 2010 6:44pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
is this simular to the part? looks wise? http://www.britishparts.co.uk/.sc/ms/bdd/ee/3696/SWITCH-REVERSE And also i think i've identified where it is. Is under basically the drivers seat but ontop of the g box and has two wires from it with a sort of green sheath? Sorry to be like this but i really don't have a clue what i'm looking for or what to do Embarassed not too far from the RH chassis rail.
Post #37267 28th Jul 2010 7:04pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I'd like to add...

I would start at the light end, pull the speaker trim off and check the connectors behind the panel, this is where my license plate lights had a bad connection.. then

The rear harness (that runs the lights etc to the rear), at the back is behind the plastic panel in the wheel arch, tricky to get to, 2 phillips screws, check the tow electrics socket, maybe that has gotten cruddy.

the front end of the rear harness is on the UK drivers side of the engine bay, a round connector block with about 10-12 wires, it's a bit tricky to pull apart but do and check for crud in there, whilst you are there it would be possible to check both sides of the plug to see if there is electricity there ...

from there, the loom dissappears behind the dashboard.. not been in there yet on mine yet.

There are some good manuals "here and there" on the internet (esp Defender2.net) where you can find a wiring diagram for the whole car and better still a manual with details of all the connectors, locations etc that matches upto the wiring manual.

Probably what I have learned from land rover electrics is look for the simple stuff first, because that's probably where the problem is ...

good luck
Post #37268 28th Jul 2010 7:10pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Thats exactly what i was getting at

Test the bulb, then connectors with a known good

We have ID'd its somewhere between the fuse box and connector.

But after something obvious - i think STOP LOOKING an use the warranty! Mike
Post #37282 29th Jul 2010 12:07am
jlerra

Gibraltar 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
reversing switch on gearbox
Yep, that's the switch you have on the Britpart picture.
You can access this under the vehicle on the side of the gearbox which is in front of the the transfer box - you cannot miss it as there is a a plastic connector with two wires. Clean the connector/wires with a fine grade sand paper and reconnect - see if it works - if it doesn't you have a duff switch.
Good luck.

El pepe flamenco JLS
'El Pepe Flamenco'
Post #37289 29th Jul 2010 9:41am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The reversing lights on my '07 DC flicker when I am reversing, which is a really wierd effect! After carrying out initial checks, I suspect that the switch needs adjusting on the gearbox (I haven't look into this yet, but on the TD5 box I belive there was an issue if the switch was screwed in the right amount). Maybe something similar is happening on the Puma box. Alternatively the switch may simply be faulty.
Post #37290 29th Jul 2010 11:08am
custom90

United Kingdom 
My problem is with not haveing any LR experience at all is locating it and how to repair it
Post #37293 29th Jul 2010 12:47pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I changes the disco one - i think the instructions are on my site somewhere.

certainly on 200tdi's you could and i though (certainly on 300's) on 300's and TD5 there was no adjustment.

Save messing around - remove the floor (very quick job) and you can see everything. Mike
Post #37299 29th Jul 2010 5:11pm
blackwolf

Well, I seem to have found the cause of my flickering reversing lights - the switch wasn't screwed fully home into the gearbox! I found I could turn it by hand, and it screwed in about 1-1/2 turns with a spanner. Afterwards lights work fine.
Post #44068 1st Nov 2010 12:52am
custom90

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Well, I seem to have found the cause of my flickering reversing lights - the switch wasn't screwed fully home into the gearbox! I found I could turn it by hand, and it screwed in about 1-1/2 turns with a spanner. Afterwards lights work fine.

Do you have a picture of the exact position of the switch so i could check mine. Please Thumbs Up
Post #44088 1st Nov 2010 1:13pm
blackwolf

Sorry, no photos. The switch is very well hidden!

The workshop manual for the Puma says that to get to the switch you ned to remove the gear levers and then the floor panel that forms the transmission tunnel, but this looks to me to be a real PITA, especially with carpets in the way.

The - much easier - way I got at mine was to remove the cubby box between the seats, peel back the carpet on the seat box (there are two pieces of carpet on the box, one on the right and one the left, so there is a longitudinal join at the cetnre - very handy) then remove the access panel in the box itself (five screws, then 'break' the sealant to lift the panel out).

The reverse light switch can then be seen (if you stick your head in the hole between the seats) and accessed with a 22mm open-ended spanner. It is located on the top left hand side of the gearbox, perhaps two or three inches forward from the front of the seat box. The switch is clearly visible, and it is the only switch in the vicinty so you can't really mistake it. It still isn't easy to get at, but it is at least possible.

The connector on the switch has one of those press-to-release-a-catch type clips, so squeeze the flat sides together with your fingers before pulling.

Hope this helps.
Post #44149 2nd Nov 2010 12:45pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That's brilliant Blackwolf Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up thank-you
Post #44158 2nd Nov 2010 1:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>