Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Spare wheel lock
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
@Peter - Nakatenga

Thank you for your reply Bow down , but sorry, I'm confused Confused

In this statement you say that the original wheel carrier is 'too weak' and that you have had 'a couple' (two ?) break and that they 'always' break in one of two different places

Do you mean that you have had 'one' break at the wheelstuds and only 'one' break at the door ? - Which perhaps suggests isolated experiences that could have been bought on by overloading with huge rim/tyre combinations rather than an 'across the board' 'write off' of OE wheel carriers ?

nakatanenga wrote:
Its too weak anyways. Have had a couple of broken ones already. Always arounf the 3 wheelstuds or around the bolts which fix the carrier on the door. If additionally weakened by holes it will break even faster.

Then in the statement below you suggest that there are several broken mounts, in which case your condemnation of the OE carrier is fully justified and should be drawn to everyones attention - perhaps a front page statement on your website as a start ?

However, on another point, you now seem not so sure now as to whether your original statement regarding the additional holes weakening the plate is actually true ?

nakatanenga wrote:
Haven't got any pictures here. Will check the pile of demountet OE carriers later, but the broken ones are usually binned in the big blue container...

From the engeneering point of view the material will be weakened. There is enough material available on the web about these facts. Maybee it won't be weakened enough to have an effect.

Could you please decide and clarify which version is actually true because I'd like to drive my 90 this afternoon and I'm not sure if I should leave the spare wheel behind for safety's sake ?

If you are not so sure about the effect of three holes being drilled in a piece of material how can you be so sure that a single pivot wheel carrier is safe ?

I await your undoubted expertise in this matter - don't worry about English being your second language (I refer to an email you sent me "I might have misunderstood your request because I am not a native English speaker"), as I'm sure it won't have that much effect on the validity of your answers Thumbs Up
Post #411065 26th Mar 2015 11:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RED-DOT

Scotland 
I will stick my head out of the trench and say the fitting of that Ebay fortX lock will NOT weaken a Defender bracket. Have you seen the tin that holds on the Jap 4X4's? 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #411087 26th Mar 2015 1:12pm
munch90

England 
^^^^ I would tend to agree certainly with a standard-ish size and weight of wheel and tyre
Post #411093 26th Mar 2015 1:35pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
TDCi Guy wrote:
Just bought the lock on ebay. Looks like a great bit of kit!

Click image to enlarge

Have you fitted it yet?

Do you know why are there so many washers fitted behind the circular plate? If it needs spacing out that far shouldn't the hole for the lock just have been drilled further along the shaft? What am I missing?
Post #411102 26th Mar 2015 1:56pm
munch90

England 
maybe for different styles of wheel with different centre hole

just gives a bit of adjustment in or out
Post #411104 26th Mar 2015 1:58pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Maybe - put it is actually sold as "Boost Wheel Locking Kit for Land Rover Defender" so thought it would fit neatly for that and maybe ned adjusting for other wheel/tyre combos?
Post #411115 26th Mar 2015 2:33pm
gklau

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Auto Montalcino Red
I have asked the seller. Stated that it will only fit the Boost wheel, but not sure if it has been tried with other styles of wheels.

Last edited by gklau on 26th Mar 2015 3:21pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #411122 26th Mar 2015 2:44pm
nakatanenga

Germany 
Dear Matt,

i don't know what you are trying here especially when you are requoting text from private conversation which are not intended for public. Maybe you are just Censored that i decided not to start a business relation with you neither selling a single wheel carrier to you.

Fact: "a couple" is more than one but less than many. I had about 5-6 broken ones, standard tyres and larger ones were used with these. I have no pictures just my honest and hopefully trustworthy word.

Fact: Our single pivot wheelcarrier is designed and calculated with modern CAD software and also stress tested to carry approx the double max weight offroad. Hundreds sold, no complaints....

Drilling holes: my personal opinion: it will weaken the carrier. The proof in a CAD system is too time consuming so i will not provide this.

And to say it with John Lennon: Let it be and peace on earth.... WANTED:

SII or SIII in max 1.5k
Post #411126 26th Mar 2015 2:56pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
My factory wheel carrier (which had only carried a standard wheel) had split in the bottom corners and showed signs of going around one of the studs. I welded it a couple of times but it kept splitting further out so not just isolated insidences I'm guessing Razz I replaced it with a nakatanenga single pivot wheel carrier and not had a problem since : Thumbs Up

Ray
Post #411136 26th Mar 2015 3:55pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Dear Peter,

I'm not starting anything.

It was you who made sweeping statements that you cannot substantiate in order to sell your own goods.

I categorically did not try to start a business relationship with you (I wouldn't for one minute want to) I could quote the entire private conversation if you want to go down that route - do you want to or would you rather 'Let it be' ...... ?
Post #411138 26th Mar 2015 3:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TDCi Guy

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Keswick Green
Supacat wrote:
TDCi Guy wrote:
Just bought the lock on ebay. Looks like a great bit of kit!

Have you fitted it yet?

Do you know why are there so many washers fitted behind the circular plate? If it needs spacing out that far shouldn't the hole for the lock just have been drilled further along the shaft? What am I missing?

I've only just placed the order last night, estimated delivery is Monday.
Reading the instructions on on of the photos it says "fit shimming washers to achieve a snug fit of all parts when locked"
Yes they do seem to have used a lot of washers. The tyre size determines how far the locating bolts are wound onto the studs on the wheel carrier to stop the tyre hitting the wiper arm. Maybe they have big tyres on the pictured vehicle? I will post up some info and a few more pics if anyone is interested when it arrives. I have 285/75/16s fitted but only have a little piddly spare (need to order one to match!) so it'll be a good comparison for spacing. Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #411143 26th Mar 2015 4:36pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
I apologise to the other forum users for the 'spat' that appears to have developed between myself and Peter of Nakatenga.

I have personally ordered one of these locks myself as I hope it to be a clever and cost effective way to try and prevent spare wheel theft, however I can't and won't comment on its effectiveness until it arrives as I believe that would be unfair and in all honesty how can you comment until you've seen it in the flesh.

I think that small businesses and innovative ideas should be encouraged and nurtured not rubbished and belittled, or worse still, copied or bullied.

I for one run a small business and as a Land Rover Defender enthusiast I wholeheartedly believe that competition in the market place is healthy, it encourages fair pricing and it pushes innovation and design forwards - good luck to 'chimps_teaparty' Thumbs Up
Post #411144 26th Mar 2015 4:51pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I think it was more of a gentlemans disagreement than a spat and not one of those fracases we keep reading about and as there was no mention of 'cold food' in any of the posts I fail to see how it could have upset anyone. Rolling with laughter For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #411153 26th Mar 2015 5:19pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Mr. Green Thumbs Up Bow down
Post #411165 26th Mar 2015 6:03pm
I.AM_a driver

Scotland 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
I'd be interested in the Nakatanenga lock, look forward to hearing more about it & ordering through Brendan or another stockist. Mark S
CONVOY for HEROES
www.facebook.com/convoy4heroes
www.lothian4x4response.org
------
Td5 90
Thread in 'My Defender' Forum
Post #411186 26th Mar 2015 7:06pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>