↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > K&N air filter TD5 TEST RESULTS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Butters

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Zambezi Silver
K&N air filter TD5 TEST RESULTS
Following a failed MAF and a performance air filter being used I decided to fit both new again and did twelve months ago......

I fitted a new Vdo Siemens LR genuine MAF mass airflow sensor April last year and at the same time a new K&N air filter to the standard air box. Don't believe the rubbish on the k&n website the filter oil could clearly be seen as a thin film oily coating the inside of the tube to the MAF and sure enough it's finally killed the second MAF in less than 12 months.

My advice is, unless you want to buy a new MAF every twelve months or 6000 miles if your lucky do not fit a K&N or any other oil based filter to your Defender.

I have not noticed ANY difference in performance or boost from changing back to a standard genuine filter. The test now is will this MAF last longer than twelve months with a std defender filter. My guess is it will do over 30k and last a number of years. A friends is the same for over 60k and his td5 is main dealer history and std parts....

Following cleaning the oil out of the air box lid and feeling the light film of oil on the inside of the MAF there is absolutely no doubt that the oil from the new k&n filter has in twelve months killed the MAF. shame on k&n and other companies claiming that there filters don't kill MAF sensors, they clearly do! (No other oily film wAs found in any other area of the tube just from the filter to the MAF which are very close together. Even after 12 months you can see the oil on the filter.) Defender TD5 110 DC (Silver)
Range Rover Vogue TD6 L322 2006> (Black)
Post #222495 27th Mar 2013 12:02am
achuakh

Singapore 2002 Defender 90 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
agreed.

i've been down that road before. but i still have the k&n in the landy. it's not dusty where i am at, so i just clean out the filter every service interval without oiling.

i did notice a very slight performance gain when i first dropped in the k&n though.

but ya, all that said, maybe it was my imagination. ha ha.

so it's about time to get back to the paper filter again after a new maf replacement soon. it's getting a lil cranky. From the land of the most expensive land rover defenders on planet earth. At �125k for a XS 110 csw and you get to own it only for 10yrs! Please find me a good reason to stay on this island.
Post #222507 27th Mar 2013 1:31am
Butters

Totally, mines got the allusport intercooler and boost box from bas with turbo turned up to 18 psi boost, with the k&n I still can't notice the difference in pull, speed or other (except noise) with paper, k&n or no filter at all feels the same.

Ive done:- Mid silencer out, cat gone, egr gone, inter cooler, remap, turbo boost to 18 psi, quick ratio steering box and red booster. All made a noticeable difference, the oiled air filters of any make are not worth the MAF replacement cost, better spending that on a bas boost box and boost gauge and adjusting the turbo to 18psi, the difference is immediate and can be seen also on the boost gauge.

See bell auto services on the web, they have all specs and instructions, but yes I would defo bin the k&n. pretty sure the guy from bas also says keep to paper filter from memory, but I ignored and regret it to the tune of £140 for two genuine sensors. Defender TD5 110 DC (Silver)
Post #222509 27th Mar 2013 1:46am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Can the MAF not be cleaned with carb/brake cleaner or similar de-greaser spray?
Post #222517 27th Mar 2013 8:31am
tazmarkuk

England 2000 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
Killer K&N
Hi guys, I agree with original thread, the K&N allows to much moisture through which causes the element in the MAF to burn out, I've been running ITG filters now for 3 years in both Defender & Disco and touch wood not had to replace a MAF since.
Post #222520 27th Mar 2013 8:56am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Re: K&N air filter TD5 TEST RESULTS
Butters wrote:
My advice is, unless you want to buy a new MAF every twelve months or 6000 miles if your lucky do not fit a K&N or any other oil based filter to your Defender.

There is on here somewhere official results for oil based filters. Your's is obviously opinion/experience based. I have had an oil based ITG filter fitted to my Land Rover for over four years and whilst contamination of the MAF with oil from certain filters is also well documented I myself have had no issues whatsoever during that time.
I would buy one again like a shot. Going by the last two posts you just bought the wrong one perhaps?

More info here:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic10760.html?highlight=itg If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #222529 27th Mar 2013 9:38am
Butters

Had an itg to start with and then the k&n so I don't recon.

I'm aware of cleaning the MAF though wouldn't recommend anything other than Isopropyl alcohol, contact cleaner available in halfords and from Partco etc...

Glad you have had more luck with the ITG, but I bet if you changed your MAF tomorrow you would notice a marked improvement, the oil from the filter will find its way to the MAF if you are an off road user due to the wet moist air passing through the filter and if you have a modified high performance set up such as mine the amount of air going through the air box is increased and thus the MAF dies quicker.

I would love to see dyno results of paper vs performance filter I recon you would struggle to see the difference.

Maybe ITG are better now, when I have the money spare for a new MAF I may give the ITG a go, though I'm still convinced that the MAF lifespan will be shorter. P.s. my first MAF was on the car from new and its a 2005 as soon as I used oil covered filters it died within 6 months and then using the k&n a brand new genune part died within 12 months.

Just was trying to stress to people that for the increase in power (un noticeable) they aren't worth the bother and money can be better spent on an actual boost in power that I have seen on dyno with my own eyes Smile

Will research ITG has anybody else had one for a long time with no MAF issues? Defender TD5 110 DC (Silver)
Post #222536 27th Mar 2013 10:25am
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
will be worth watching this space Pete at BAS will be looking to prove all of this on there new dyno ?

steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #222539 27th Mar 2013 10:51am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Butters wrote:
but I bet if you changed your MAF tomorrow you would notice a marked improvement,

Don't think so....Pete from BAS some considerable time ago was after MAF sensors to carry checks out on from different set-ups of vehicles offering a brand new replacement for yours.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic5611.html?highlight=maf

I took up on the offer after two years of running with the ITG/remap setup on mine and noticed on removal mine looked clean and there was absolutely no noticable difference with the replacement when fitted. Roll on another two years and still no issues.

Butters wrote:
Just was trying to stress to people that for the increase in power (un noticeable) they aren't worth the bother and money can be better spent on an actual boost in power that I have seen on dyno with my own eyes Smile

They don't profess to give you any 'increase in power' just 'more power for longer' and slight improvement on economy. It's the way the sales pitch is interpreted in my view.

I must be really lucky I guess.... Thumbs Up

Sales blurb here:

http://extreme4x4.co.uk/acatalog/DEFENDER_...LTERS.html If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #222555 27th Mar 2013 12:29pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I had an ITG filter on a TD5 Disco and the MAF died about 9 months or so later. The replacement MAF then lasted the remaining several years of ownership. I put this down to the amount of oil that was on the filter from new which, in hindsight, was excessive.

The ITG was fitted shortly after the TD5 was re-mapped, but there was no noticable performance improvement as a result. In practice therefore, unless you're running a very high state of tune, I think these sorts of filters are of very little benefit in a Land Rover.

K9F wrote:
Sales blurb here:

http://extreme4x4.co.uk/acatalog/DEFENDER_...LTERS.html

Blimey, there are some very broad claims there. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #222571 27th Mar 2013 1:48pm
taffrican

Wales 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
A bit of a stupid question, I believe the MAF sensor on my TD5 is original, 02' model, 80,000m, how would I know if mine was shot? I've never even looked at mine, how would it effect fuel consumption? be gentle with me Whistle Optimists say the glass is half full..
Pessimists say the glass is half empty..
Engineers say the glass is twice the size it needs to be!
Post #222600 27th Mar 2013 3:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
From memory, the obvious symptom was random hesitation under load, i.e. as if the power was turned off and for a split second. Our DII was my wifes' and I only drove it occasionally. I remember noticing the hesitation when towing our caravan, though. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #222620 27th Mar 2013 5:40pm
Butters

Totally take on board everybody's comments, that's why I blogged this to see if I should be on paper or using another performance filter.

Can't wait for results from BAS, by the way the BAS boost box and allusport intercooler works perfectly so I value their response/findings .....

80mph all the way to Middlesborough from Anglesey including hills. It pulls like a train now, paper filter. Previously down to 60 on steep hills and you knew if you were towing. Now you forget you have something on.

I may have mis quoted BAS as saying they said to go with a paper filter years ago, in my earlier post, it could have been another tuner ???? was a long time ago.

Anyway, if BAS results show a marked improvement with an ITG over std filter it would still be good to know if anybody else has had a dead MAF after fitting any oiled performance filters,

I still think its too coincidental and that k&n argue their case so much on their site. It, to me, points out that they are getting a lot of people asking questions and blogging across a wide make range of cars about the MAF's being damaged otherwise why have tons of reports etc put up to argue against it and protect sales unless they were worried. And why would joe blogs and thousands of people who blog, write or complain about MAF failure after fitting one be bother to do so, if there wasn't a tangible link between oiled performance filters and MAF failure?

Will leave it to BAS and the professionals, and look forward to the results of he DYNO, I may have to eat my hat and try a new ITG filter lets see if the difference is worth the MAF costs... Defender TD5 110 DC (Silver)
Post #223586 31st Mar 2013 1:01am
quentin

Australia 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
why do you guys even feel a need to use anything other than paper. Its not like you have to pay thru the nose for paper elements in the UK like we do in the colonies.

If you want more air flow on your td5 you can mod the airbox and remove the hiclone thing, then get rid of that ridiculous 2" pipe joiner with the duck bill on the bottom and replace the whole length of ducting from the airbox to the snorkel with one length of 3" truck air pipe , the paper filter is well up to the job.

Its also not like its dusty at all in the UK is it, all the scenery on "Escape to the Country" looks pretty clear to me.

We got dust here & lots of it, yet I find my air filters are still more than servicable after 10,000 klm , tho I must admit I do use a donaldson precleaner in really dusty conditions.
Post #226562 12th Apr 2013 11:10am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
to the ITG makes perfect sense. I'm no expert but from the little I know about filters and filtering ITG appear to be the only ones that make use of a layered system and filtering is all about layers.
Thumbs Up

so why didn't I buy one Confused
Post #226596 12th Apr 2013 1:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>