↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Performance filters
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Performance filters
Has anyone tried a performance air filter for the 2.4 Puma? If so which brand have you used and have you found it to be worth it with any noticeable or worthwhile improvements?

Steve
Post #115144 13th Jan 2012 8:56pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Performance filters such as K & N do let more air through to the engine and easier then the OEM filters.

K & N filters do it by having larger pores. Larger pores can also mean more and larger particles of dust passing through the filter.

There is an Australian research article on various filters, guess which ons come out tops?

Will try and find the article.

Performance filters are fine on a race track, not so good in dusty environs.

Brendan
Post #115150 13th Jan 2012 9:08pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Damnation, found my link but that domain website is up for sale!!

Will see what else I can find

Brendan
Post #115161 13th Jan 2012 9:28pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Cheers Brendan Thumbs Up
Post #115164 13th Jan 2012 9:38pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I also like the K&N filters as they seem a little easer to clean and more durable than some others and can take a good few knocks and bangs in the field if emergency cleaning is needed do to dirt built up. Foam filters are available and can if used correctly work with good results as long as they are not oiled to much but are generally not as robust in the field due to how they are constructed as the K&N or pleated type cotton filters.

If I were doing a long overland trip no matter what filter I had in the car its self its always handy to have a genuine LR filter in your tool kit to get you out of the sticky stuff if needed. As im sure Brendan will tell you, no matter what you plan for in an overland trip the oppesite will allways happen and you may in some cases would have just been best sticking with a LR filter.

Pete

Last edited by bell-auto-services on 13th Jan 2012 9:50pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #115167 13th Jan 2012 9:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
what is the K+N part number for the Puma panel filter ? I couldn't find it on their site
Post #115169 13th Jan 2012 9:49pm
LandRoverAnorak

Our DII has an ITG filter fitted that was supplied by Gary from Alive back in 2007. I'm not sure it's a 'performance' filter as such, but it's lasted well with pretty much zero maintenance.

The only problem with these oil-coated filters is that they can contaminate the MAF. It's advisable to soak off as much excess oil as possible on first fitting and re-oil only sparingly, if at all.

Other than that, I read some research some years ago on K&N filters that persuaded me never to fit one. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 14th Jan 2012 12:08am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #115171 13th Jan 2012 9:52pm
bell-auto-services

LandRoverAnorak wrote:

The only problem with these oil-coated filters is that they can contaminate the MAF. It's advisable to soak off as much excess oil as possible on first fitting and re-oil only sparingly, if at all.

Perfect advice Thumbs Up
Post #115173 13th Jan 2012 9:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

Why thank you. One does try Laughing Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #115184 13th Jan 2012 10:04pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
For a performance car yes fit a performance filter, thee again if you want a performance car you would not be driving a Defender Razz

Have asked on the Aussie forum where the test data I have referred to has disappeared to. Amongst other things it measured pressure drop across the air filter, amount and size of particles passing through the filter and time for the filter to clog up measured by something like air pressure drop/volume flow through the filter.

I hate it when I can not readily find the information that have been talking about.

When travelling in dusty environs we use a pre cleaner plus standard LR OEM filter. Banging out filter and cleaning the filter box can be amusing. Some people argue that oiled filters such as K & N are better because they do not have the space to carry spare filters. If you do not have the space and can not arrange delivery/collection of spares on route should you be travelling?.

Pete, ask Barbara what sort of things she has brought out when she has come to join me. Things such as the groved, knurled wiper nut, 6 yes 6 Mud trays Whistle etc. Good job she has never been questioned about the random bits she has been carrying.

So for performance cars in dry dust free conditions yes, performance filter. For dusty environments use OEM

Brendan
Post #115190 13th Jan 2012 10:21pm
bell-auto-services

You can imagine it cant you at customs, Mrs Barbara why have you got a m8 nut and some oil seals in your hand bag lol.

Barbaras reply would be somert like, they are to go nicely with my bolts and wheel barings Sir stop asking silly questons hehe.

Pete
Post #115196 13th Jan 2012 10:35pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
It'll only good old English weather for me so I can't see much dust ever being a problem personally.
Post #115199 13th Jan 2012 10:40pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter @ Pete. It might be truer then you think Pete Thumbs Up

Well we are getting OT, but it is a Friday night and the red wine is slipping down nicely

Brendan
Post #115202 13th Jan 2012 10:41pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
ITG Filters.
I have an ITG filter that was fitted three years ago...

Here's the advertising blurb....

Over the years, itg have created the lightest, most capable filters for all fields of motorsport, from Formula 1 to the World Rally Championship.

The same design skills, advanced technology and attention to detail are also used to produce our Profilter range of high grade replacement filters for both road and competition use.

With such a pedigree, you can be sure of a quality product with a superior performance – and a highly competitive price.

Superior filtration
Our unique Tri-Foam® system with three layers of foam combined with the arresting stickiness of the dust retaining oil gives a high level of filtration to protect the engine from all containments brought in by the air.

More power
Performance is unaffected by very large quantities of dirt arrested in the filter and, long after ordinary filters have blocked up and reduced the engine power, loss of pressure in the Profilter airflow will be exceptionally low.

Longer life
In normal road use, a Profilter will last at least four times as long as the equivalent standard filter. Waste is reduced so Profilter helps the environment as well as the engine.

Here's the link....

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p10826/I..._info.html If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #115206 13th Jan 2012 11:10pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Mal just the chap I was thinking of as I know you have had an ITG for a while and yet still haven't I got round to getting one a year later Embarassed to busy doing other mods Rolling with laughter You haven't had any MAF issues with yours at all have you?

Steve
Post #115212 13th Jan 2012 11:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>