↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > 2014 Range Rover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
2014 Range Rover
So, popped the a defender into Hadley Green's (now Grange!) for some warranty items a few weeks ago. The vehicle is sold with a deposit on it but not returned back from the dealer as yet. I was running around in a Disco 4 HSE which was nice, if a bit bling. It did have 7 seats though so was a useful size for our big family. This week they did a swap and dropped off a 2014 Full Fat Range Rover 4.4 TDV8........ and the kids went mental Bow down

So do I want one?
Days one and two -

I was blown away by the performance and refinement. It's so quiet and cosseting to drive. A total mile eater. I could imagine a trip to Italy or further would be an absolute doddle. The seats are lovely and the engine and box are seamless. It's a monster performer. I averaged 29MPG over a mix of M4/M25 stop start traffic and A roads. Some of the options this vehicle had made me laugh. Electric folding side steps! Meridian surround sound stereo (awesome), automatic boot opening/closure and soft close doors.
All was well apart from the slightly odd and jealous looks you get in it. I felt uncomfortable driving it to the kids school and to my place of work because of what it says. It says money and looks money no doubt. That's enough for me to walk away. It does look lovely through!!

Day 3 - came home from work at 2am. Pulled onto the drive and got my gear from the boot. Closed the boot by the button and it seemed to shut. The car wouldn't lock. It kept bleeping to say not locked. I walked around opening and closing all the doors. I now got into it and turned the ignition on. Boot not closed was the message. I opened it and closed it and finally it locked on the 3rd attempt!
Later in the same day I was in traffic around Heathrow. I was sitting at a set of traffic lights and I had placed her into Park on the gearbox rather than holding it on the brakes. Just before the lights changed I selected D but a warning message popped up. Boot not closed!! It wouldn't let me drive forward either!. Blow me but it wasn't lying and the boot had now half opened!! Lots of horns honking and angry drivers while I had to stop the engine and manually close the boot as it wouldn't close by auto.
Day 4 - jumped in to drive to work and be greeted by 'Start Engine low battery' message. No kids had even set foot in it and nothing was left on overnight. I drove her 30miles to work and when I turned it off the same low battery message appeared. I did feel some anxiety about it working when I returned 8hrs later but it did start again! It developed a front suspension clunk while I had it so I feel at home from the Defender!

So my mind was made up. Complex and electronic with bags of character provided by software glitches. Not for me. Positives were the engine and gearbox. Negatives, image, small boot and all the stuff that's gonna be shocking to get fixed once out of warranty. It was throwing some Wobblies already when less than 6 months old! What cost will touch sensitive door handles be each? Folding sidesteps when they fail half down? Ouch.

Lovely to have been allowed to drive one ....... did I mention that engine and gearbox???! Thumbs Up 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #344902 13th Jul 2014 4:56pm
steve E

Wales 
You can't get a better review of a car than that.
I would love to have one though Mr. Green
Post #344916 13th Jul 2014 5:22pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
I started off thinking they look amazing, but the more I see them the more I think they exude wealth in a disgusting way. The lights at the back are too small and you pay all that money for a dash board that's A) inferior to the last model and B) the same as a much cheaper Evoque. But try as I do not to, everytime I see one I just thing Rich Flash git. But I swear I'm not jealous of the car, but maybe a bit jealous someone can afford to spend that much on a car. These were not feelings I got seeing someone in the last model. So what's changed?
Post #344920 13th Jul 2014 5:33pm
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I would love to drive one but the only way i would buy one, is if i won the euromillions!
I had a disco3 and never had any problems but the last service was 1500£...
Too expensive for me! Smile
Post #344924 13th Jul 2014 5:39pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Make me feel happier, that i have not changed my 09MY,, RR,, Bar service's & pads all round, never missed a beat Smile California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #344939 13th Jul 2014 6:19pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
If I had that sort of money to burn I'd get a disco 4, IMO they look much nicer. the FFRR just looks too big and lardy.

I drive a 110, that's big but boxy, but the RR is just fat. imagine a fat businessman driving it with his fat gut and fat wallet Laughing Laughing
Post #344945 13th Jul 2014 6:36pm
Mac87

England 
I thought the new RR would grow on me, but it just hasn't, I prefer the RRS and am a big fan of the Disco. As has been said, don't like the Evoquey dash, much prefer the overall package of the previous model.

And no, I'd never in a million years buy a £100k car brand new, I'd rather someone else take the depreciation hit.
Post #344947 13th Jul 2014 6:41pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
I think the D4 is a fantastic vehicle and way more desirable to me than the RR or the RRS
Post #344957 13th Jul 2014 7:13pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
diesel_jim wrote:
, but the RR is just fat. imagine a fat businessman driving it with his fat gut and fat wallet Laughing Laughing

Here it is more a matter of FFRR usually being driven by slender blondes with a flat fitness trimmed belly, but with a husband with a fat wallet. Laughing I also do not really appreciate the new FFRR, looks more like just another station wagon to me.
I still like the previous FFRR model, more boxy, more character, and.... here again mostly driven by slender blondes with a flat fitness trimmed belly, and a husband with a fat wallet. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Agree the D4 is a nice truck, but nobody here will even glance at or pay any attention to a D4, a RRS, or a FFRR for that matter. But, when a Defender passes or stops at a traffic light, (and we have quite a large number Defenders here), hey ho, the whole traffic scene wakes up and starts looking in envy. Thumbs Up
Interesting to note that a lot of sporty slender tall ponytailed blondes with flat, etc. etc. etc....... also drive Defenders here. Those are the ones with good taste. And... they invariably will return "The Defender Wave" Whistle Whistle
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw

Last edited by ericvv on 13th Jul 2014 9:21pm. Edited 4 times in total
Post #344965 13th Jul 2014 7:30pm
pjw4233

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
There is something about young blonde women with gym flat bellies, that drive Defenders that I like Thumbs Up
Post #344999 13th Jul 2014 9:15pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #345003 13th Jul 2014 9:22pm
TD5_dan

2001 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
You haven't got to worry about all the gizmos going wrong as I'm sure it won't be long before Britpart will have a crack at making touch sensitive door handles Laughing 2001 TD5 110 County Station Wagon - sold
1970 Series 2A Station Wagon
1970 Series 2A hard top
1960 Series 2
1972 Series 3
Post #345007 13th Jul 2014 9:26pm
steve E

Wales 
I'm missing the gym going flat bellied defender driving ladies.
Seems a 100k range rover is in order Laughing
Post #345021 13th Jul 2014 10:00pm
Cuthbert

Spent an evening trying out the latest model Range Rover - very impressive on road - would not like to own it a day after the warranty expires.

How many people have the skill to keep all that electro-trickery fully functional a few years down the line?
Post #345033 13th Jul 2014 11:14pm
ken

United Kingdom 
L405 every day over the new D4 why because the D4 is trying to be a L322 just sold my green D4 2014

L405 on the drive just waiting to see if there are decent changes to the 2015, me I also love the xtech and that will never change Thumbs Up
Post #345038 14th Jul 2014 4:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>