Home > Off Topic > SANDHURST Heritage Open Day on Sunday
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
SANDHURST Heritage Open Day on Sunday
Hi all,

I'm taking my son down to Sandhurst this Sunday(Fathers Day) as it is their Heritage Open Day. He's only 14(soon to be 15) and is keen to enter the Forces.

Has anyone been before and if so, what sort of day are weI to expect? It's a 3-4 hour drive down there, but I'm keen to give him a brief outlook.

Thanks

Steve
Post #337847 12th Jun 2014 11:12pm
SiWhite

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I spent a year there.

Old College (the large white building with the columns) is splendid - lots of great paintings and artifacts. The canons outside were captured in Crimea.

I'm sure a lot has changed in the last 10 years - it should be well organised I'd imagine.

If he wants a taste of what to expect from the Commissioning Course, leave him out on the training area for a week in the rain with a short angry Welshman shouting at him and don't let him sleep Laughing My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

110 TD5 BuildHERE - sold!
110 Tdci Build HERE - sold!
Passat Alltrack - 4x4, auto, 45mpg, gloriously comfortable - but not a Defender!
Post #337853 13th Jun 2014 1:39am
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Spent lots of time there on various courses. Your boy will get a good overview of what life in the army is like as an officer as well as the commissioning course itself. Look out for the short angry looking individual who suffer from Little Man Syndrone!
Post #337856 13th Jun 2014 6:26am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
My son is in the Army and has done Afganistan etc etc, he went to Army Cadets for a couple of years before joining which gave him some idea but still does not prepare them for the horror of seeing their mates mutilated by IEDs etc.

Overall I think he is still pleased and proud to be in the Army but he has grown up very fast.

As for an idea of what its really like the best impression would be to leave him on a remote mountain in bad weather with a very heavy back pack and little else and tell him he has to get from point A to point B (at least 20 miles) without being captured or killed DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #337859 13th Jun 2014 6:54am
ken

United Kingdom 
Steve

Without question all of the above applys however back to the main point yes its worth the treck

Thumbs Up
Post #337861 13th Jun 2014 7:17am
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Get there early, it fills up fast!

Good day out, plenty of kit on display, and a few demo's etc ... The history side is second to none.

Gurkha Battalion also based there, they always put on a good display

Enjoy Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #337883 13th Jun 2014 10:47am
smb

Thanks for the replies.

I keep telling him about the things he will have to endure and why, but then what 14yr old listens to their father!! I am behind him all the way, but want to make sure he intends joining for the 'right' reasons.

Ken, Dave-H, thanks for your recommendation. Minds made up and we are going.

SiWhite, borderterrier, read your replies to him this morning over breakfast and his response was "No problem, I can deal with my mum so that doesn't worry me" so I gave up there as I couldn't really correct him on either!! Rolling with laughter

LR90XS2011, I don't think you can ever be prepared. He listened with interest to reading out your post. Thank you.
Post #337887 13th Jun 2014 11:00am
walfy

While I wouldn't say not to go to Sandhurst, but remember there is the rank and file entry into the Army.
Being very cynical and thinking about what he wants to after his military career. A lot of ex orifices end up in London doing city type jobs. Not everyone's idea of fun
If he joins at the bottom he will get something out of it. If he joins a Corps he will get a good trade that he can use outside the wire.
Myself, I joined a Corps, (the Finest) and left after 22yrs in a junior/middle management role. But still had projects where I had 150+ men under my direct command.
I had a very privileged career where I spent a lot of time at 1 of the Armys School of Excellence teaching. Managed to get some civvyteaching quals out of it and visited some very nice places. And some not so nice.

What I'm trying to say is Sandhurst is not the be all and end all of the Army. Is this me being bitter and twisted because I applied for Sandhurst and didn't get there. No not at all. I applied in a time when regional accents weren't accepted and I am from working stock so didn't fit their demographic and I didn't have a degree. The entry criteria has now changed if coming from the ranks, thankfully and I reckon I might of stood a chance if I applied now.
I had a great time whilst serving and would recommend it to anyone but think about what you want to do after and go into the Army with open eyes. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #337898 13th Jun 2014 12:07pm
smb

Walfy,

Thank you for your time in the response Bow down . This is exactly what I have been talking to him about and I will be giving your response to him to read when I pick him up from his mothers on Sunday morning. Whilst, if I say so myself, he has been afforded quite a privileged upbringing I would prefer him to start at the bottom and work up earning the respect rather than entering mid rank. I have discussed with him at length about this approach which thankfully he is not adverse to.

Thank you again for your response. Thumbs Up
Post #337904 13th Jun 2014 12:29pm
walfy

He needs to have a good think about what excites him. Education permitting then he could look at welbeck 6th form college. Which will put you through your degree but you are then limited to opportunities within the Army. Where as if you go to your normal school you can use your degree where you want.
Gone are the days when the thickos joined the infantry because that was all they could do and they didn't have the necessary quals to join a Corps. Nowadays every soldier gets such opportunities to further their knowledge and education.IIRC you can sit your GCSE's again once in. I know I had an infante er who was in my Platoon but wanted to transfer to the RAF. He didn't meet the entry requirements so resat his exams. I left before his transfer was finalised.
Rebadging isn't so easy now either. In years gone by you could complete a few years and then if you didn't like the job you were doing, you could transfer to another trade or cap badge. After Army 2020 this is no longer an easy option. Because of the streamlining of the Army they can pick and choose who they want to do differing jobs.

Likewise on entry because they are getting picky now make your son fully understands that he ends to work hard and get as many quals as he can at school.
HTH, If you have any more questions then feel free to contact me 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #337919 13th Jun 2014 2:13pm
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I joined at the bottom 30 years ago as a private soldier and have worked my way up through the ranks to Major. I am still serving. If he has the brains join as an officer. He will get professional qualifications, lead men and women on operations and will have a whole host of professional qualifications available to him should he wish to pursue them.
If he joins a technical Corps such as the REME or Royal Signals or Engineers then there are huge opportunities. Have a look at Welbeck College as an option as it gives a great start to an officer career.
Having the fact that you were an officer in the British Army on your CV is also well worth having. Ditto reference any questions - ask away!
Post #337921 13th Jun 2014 2:35pm
walfy

He needs to have a good think about what excites him. Education permitting then he could look at welbeck 6th form college. Which will put you through your degree but you are then limited to opportunities within the Army. Where as if you go to your normal school you can use your degree where you want.
Gone are the days when the thickos joined the infantry because that was all they could do and they didn't have the necessary quals to join a Corps. Nowadays every soldier gets such opportunities to further their knowledge and education.IIRC you can sit your GCSE's again once in. I know I had an infante er who was in my Platoon but wanted to transfer to the RAF. He didn't meet the entry requirements so resat his exams. I left before his transfer was finalised.
Rebadging isn't so easy now either. In years gone by you could complete a few years and then if you didn't like the job you were doing, you could transfer to another trade or cap badge. After Army 2020 this is no longer an easy option. Because of the streamlining of the Army they can pick and choose who they want to do differing jobs.

Likewise on entry because they are getting picky now make your son fully understands that he ends to work hard and get as many quals as he can at school.
HTH, If you have any more questions then feel free to contact me 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #337922 13th Jun 2014 2:36pm
walfy

Not sure what happened there, mods please delete that other post.

Here you have it from both ends of the spectrum. From a retired SNCO and an LE officer. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #337923 13th Jun 2014 2:38pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello smb

Yes, well worth the visit, if your son has officer level ambitions.... then this is the place to go.

I didn't join the military, but did join the MOD with initial training at the Royal Aircraft Establishment Farnbourgh.
Have visited the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (RMAS) many times, you should have a great day. SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #337932 13th Jun 2014 4:03pm
walfy

Just surfing youtube, like you do on a Fri eveing and this came up in clips to watch. Gives a good description of what goes on and when. In broad terms without being to exact

110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #337996 13th Jun 2014 8:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>