↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Turbo under boost
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Lorryman100

Turbo under boost
Been to the dealers today to sort out a few niggles with the defender. Them being, the back door not fitting as tight as it did in the top nearside corner, rusting rivets on the exterior, front bumper rusting with the paint flaking off, this is the minor stuff that can get done anytime.

However I filled the landy up yesterday and found I was only getting 22MPG Shocked WTF I thought so checked the scanguage for faults with none showing. So when I was at the dealers I hooked up the Nanocom and found 1. EGR stuck open 2. MAF fault. 3. Turbo under boost. 4. Ecu fault read. I was lucky I did this at the dealers and was able to show the workshop controller them.

So outcome is this: 1. New EGR valve ordered. 2 New MAF sensor ordered.3. Turbo under boost was supposed to be corrected with the last service update but LR now supply an extended loom to correct the over tension of the wiring at the turbo. 4. Problem seemed to clear itself after replugging nanocom in.

Now here is what had me a little perplexed, the mil light did not illuminate for the EGR valve when it should have, the bulb is ok as it lights up when the ignition is switched on. Now will the EGR valve being open all the time result in using more fuel? Also the faults showed up on LR diagnostics so its not a nanocom error.

Anybody else had these faults? If you are using more fuel than normal it might be worth while getting it checked as you will not know as the mil light doesn't illuminate.
Post #53444 17th Jan 2011 3:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Well that's very interesting. I take it you went to morrisons in sterling?

I am about to ring them to have several issues sorted out, one being poor performance. I struggle to got 300 miles out of a tank! Not to be cheecky but if I arrange for it to be booked it and your avaliable could I swing passed and plug your nanacom in (if it's that simple. Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #53446 17th Jan 2011 3:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lorryman100

I went to Taggarts in Motherwell Russell as they are only 15 mins away. As to dropping by, any time you want as long as I'm not working so give me a bell first Thumbs Up I have pm'd you my mobile number so send me yours so I dont blank it when you phone Whistle
Post #53457 17th Jan 2011 4:53pm
iruffell

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
mmmm now got me thinking, I had problems with "Turbo underboost" a few months back which was traced to a craked turbo pipe, since then I am struggling to get 300 miles per tank as well, don't have access to scanguage etc, think I might take it in again and get them to have a look.
Post #53461 17th Jan 2011 5:42pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
I had the egr fault on mine- the MIL light didn't come on then either... Wish I had a nanocom then too as it ould have put my mind at rest.

Glyn Sheep
Post #53487 17th Jan 2011 7:20pm
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Can you tell me the symptoms you've been having as I'm wondering if I have a similar issue. I also struggle to get more than 300 miles per tank and on the motorway I struggle to get past 2500 rpm in 6th, it just goes dead on me... Cheers
Post #55693 30th Jan 2011 9:09am
Lorryman100

BIGFOG wrote:

Can you tell me the symptoms you've been having as I'm wondering if I have a similar issue. I also struggle to get more than 300 miles per tank and on the motorway I struggle to get past 2500 rpm in 6th, it just goes dead on me... Cheers

Other than the high fuel usage their was no visible symptoms as to there being a problem. The problems only came to light when I plugged in the diagnostic and got certain fault codes and just happened to have the workshop controller from my local dealer's in the cab with me. Here are the codes:

Nanocom Evolution wrote:

NANOCOM - PUMAENG.APP - PUMA ENGINE fault file

0404 - 72
Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) control circuit
range/performance

actuator stuck open
---
0299 - 00
Turbocharger A under boost condition

---
0100 - 29
Mass or volume air flow A circuit

signal invalid
---

from these codes and the fuel usage dealers confirmed replacement of EGR, MAF sensor and the New replacement loom. I was just lucky that the fault showed up when I was at the dealers as I think it has been an intermittent failure for some time as some tank fulls give 350+ where as others I am lucky to get 250 doing the same driving!
As to the 2500rpm in 6th gear, if you have a re map could that be a flat spot? Do you get it in any other gear? Do you have any means of doing a live monitoring of the engine systems to check MAF, MAP, injector rail pressures and turbo pressures to see if there is a reduction in readings at 2500 rpm in 6th gear?

HTH Brian.
Post #55727 30th Jan 2011 1:11pm
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Cheers Brian,
I do have a remap courtesy of Mr Bell who is trying to work this one out as well. The problem only really occurs in 6th, all the other gears pull hard and fast, but the slightly taller sixth just proves too much for it to pull and it kind of stalls for want of a better expression at 2500.
Unfortunately I don't have any means of live monitoring, so might have to find someone who can!
Post #55863 31st Jan 2011 12:29am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Brian

Whats the loom replacement - do you happen to know the issue and ideally the part numbers?

I dont think the dealers resolved this fault for me the first time, now its out of warranty im going to have to look at fixing it.

Definitely intermittent for me - if i had time i would work out the fault condition...

I'm not so sure the EGR is at fault (although its logging stuck closed faults!!)...how tricky is it to change, i know easy on a 300tdi and i did one on a TD5 once. Mike
Post #55864 31st Jan 2011 12:48am
Lorryman100

Mike,

the landy is going in tomorrow for 3 days to rectify these problems, plus one or two other niggles. What I will do as I'm also going to the parts department to pick up the spot wiring kit, is to get the part number's of the replacement parts listed against my landy on order from the workshop. Once I have them I'll pm them to you and put an update on here listing them Thumbs Up
Post #55865 31st Jan 2011 12:53am
mse

Thanks

I know the EGR(LR006650) and MAF(MHK501040) part numbers - but this loom thing is a new one.

Personally if the EGR is faulty - i would rather pay to have it shut than fix it (i know the thing is working though) MAF's a VW we had used to eat them...you could always tell it was dead because the fuel consumption would shoot up...so im going to start by replacing that.

Still interested on how you get on. Mike
Post #55868 31st Jan 2011 1:28am
Lorryman100

Went to dealers today and dropped off Landy, and got the part number (LR007352) for the wiring they are replacing to try and solve the turbo under boost.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN

No.LTB00254/2010
20 January 2010

Cause: Engine vibrations fracture the wiring to the turbo modulator.
Causal Part: LR007352
LTB00254 - Turbo Modulator Service Link Kit, service fix lead (LR020663)

D02.030 ENGINE HARNESS (FROM (V)7A000001)
WIRE ASSY
Part number: LR007352

The part in question is No.1 on the diagram.

Click image to enlarge
Post #55980 1st Feb 2011 1:07am
dgardel

Italy 
Not the n1 showed.

Is the cable routed closer to the aircon compressor, plugged on the turbo modulator. Turbo side Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #55989 1st Feb 2011 8:56am
Lorryman100

dgardel wrote:

Not the n1 showed.

Is the cable routed closer to the aircon compressor, plugged on the turbo modulator. Turbo side

Spot on dgardel Thumbs Up The reason that LR007352 is listed is because LR020663 is not on microcat meaning it is to be ordered as:

Causal Part: LR007352
LTB00254 - Turbo Modulator Service Link Kit, service fix lead (LR020663)

The No.1 in the diagram shows the engine wiring loom and on the engines left side (looking at picture) you can see the modulator plug which is attached to the engine wiring loom part no. LR007352 No.1 in the picture

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Lorryman100 on 29th Sep 2013 6:20pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #56002 1st Feb 2011 11:52am
mse

is it a complete new section or a plug in extension? Mike
Post #56038 1st Feb 2011 6:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>