↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Turbo under boost
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Lorryman100

mse wrote:

is it a complete new section or a plug in extension?

It is a new section to be installed using the harness repair kit:

LTB00254 - Turbo Modulator Service Link Kit wrote:

Once the breakout length has been established, connect the service fix lead (LR020663) using the connectors from the harness repair kit and heat shrink the existing wires ensuring sufficient staggering of the harness repair to minimize overlap of the bundle size.
Post #56152 2nd Feb 2011 2:16am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
IŽll ask anyway

Service calls only apply to cars bearing warranty? Confused Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #56153 2nd Feb 2011 2:28am
Lorryman100

MK wrote:

IŽll ask anyway

Service calls only apply to cars bearing warranty? Confused

In respect to this fix it was issued as a technical bulletin in January 2010 to fix the stress and fracturing of the turbo modulator harness. As I am in warranty this fix will be done free. But if you are out of warranty and your vin falls between these: VIN Range: LD732615-LD779287 I would be going to my local dealers quoting LTB00254 and asking what they will do for me, but only if you are having trouble with Turbo under boost. I would also think the kit is available to buy through the parts department but you need IDS to set the configuration:

Please ensure that you carry out all the ignition on/off requests to ensure correct module configuration, if this is not done it can cause damage to the modules on the vehicle.

If you pm me your email address I will send you the bulletin including the how to guide.
Post #56218 2nd Feb 2011 3:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lorryman100

Just got home after collecting Landy from dealers. Checked for fault codes and none showed, took the long way home and worked the engine. Got home and rechecked for faults with none showing in any of the modules. So the Turbo modulator service link kit seems to have solved the Turbo under boost (I would clear this fault with the nanocom only for it to reappear after a short drive). They also replaced all the unpainted rivets on the exterior, as this comes as a full kit, instead of just replacing the 3 or 4 rusty ones as I was expecting. EGR and MAF replaced, unfortunately the new bumper arrived damaged so they ordered another only to find these on back order due to problems with the current batch! Will keep an eye on the fuel usage over the next week or two to see if it improves any. Thumbs Up
Post #56730 4th Feb 2011 5:43pm
Bomber82

Italy 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Since before Christmas I'm having some irregularities in the operation, making the Def jumping...
In addition, fuel consumption has skyrocketed, I can not make more than 8.5 km / l

Yesterday I've read the fault codes with Nanocom:

Quote:
NANOCOM - PUMAENG.APP - PUMA ENGINE fault file

0404 - 72
Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) control circuit
range/performance

actuator stuck open
---
0606 - 49
Engine control module (ECM) processor

internal
electronic failure
---
0100 - 64
Mass or volume air flow A circuit

signal plausibility failure
---
0299 - 00
Turbocharger A under boost condition

---

Then I've reseted the fault codes and this morning, going work, the situation is :

Quote:
NANOCOM - PUMAENG.APP - PUMA ENGINE fault file

0404 - 72
Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) control circuit
range/performance

actuator stuck open
---
0606 - 49
Engine control module (ECM) processor

internal
electronic failure
---
0100 - 64
Mass or volume air flow A circuit

signal plausibility failure
---

I'll call my dealar today, but strange that they hadn't checked fault codes before Christmas when they substituted the rear diff..... Matteo
Defender 110 Td4 SE MY 09
Post #57954 9th Feb 2011 11:20am
rusty66

Germany 
Hello,

seems that I could have the same issue as I've got same symptoms incl. fault codes and my car falls under the VINs mentioned above.

Has anyone got the illustrations, they seem to be gone from the post and I'd really like to have the information offered by Lorryman, too.

What I don't understand is why I can't just extend the loom at the plug but should 'splice' in a new loom?

I also don't quite understand the bit about IDS / ignition on off requests. What could happen to the modules (which modules) as Lorryman, I think, mentioned?

Thanks for any help Thumbs Up

Boris
Post #77966 26th Jun 2011 8:39pm
Lorryman100

Boris,

I have cleared my gallery to make room for a new project so drop me a pm with you're email address and I will send you the relevant info on the loom Thumbs Up
Post #78003 27th Jun 2011 2:20am
Lorryman100

AdrianCR,

ref you're pm, email sent Thumbs Up
Post #78333 29th Jun 2011 11:09am
AdrianCR

2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Scotia Grey
thank you very much! Very useful information! Thumbs Up
Post #78369 29th Jun 2011 4:50pm
kirk

United Arab Emirates 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Blenheim Silver
Hi Lorryman,

With interest (and a bit of relief) I read this post today.

My 2009 defender puma 2.4 has a consistent turbo underboost (P0299) fault - using a scangauge.

Today, I went to an independent mechanic in Duabi. He noticed that some of the wires at the turbo modulator had been broken and others were damaged (see attached photo). He also scanned the ECU for codes and found P0046 "Turbo/supercharger boost control solenoid 'A' curcuit range / performance curcuit resistance above threshold"

To solve the problem, we ordered an engine harness (LR025175). It should arrive today or tomorrow and be installed within a day or two. But this is a GBP 300 part plus labor to install.

Perhaps the part (LR020663) you describe here might be just the ticket. And at GBP18 instead of GBP300 + labor, this has the potential to save me a boat load of money.

It would be very helpful to me, if you could post or pm me the photos and instructions that seem to be no longer part of your original post.

Cheers,

Kirk
Post #270182 29th Sep 2013 5:58pm
dgardel

Italy 

Click image to enlarge
 Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #270186 29th Sep 2013 6:06pm
Lorryman100

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

LR020663 is the harness repair kit for the above tech bulletin as listed in parts required. Thumbs Up

Answered here instead of pm. :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #270188 29th Sep 2013 6:12pm
kirk

United Arab Emirates 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Blenheim Silver
You all are awesome. Asked and answered in less than an hour. Thumbs Up

cheers
Post #270200 29th Sep 2013 6:44pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
just looking at the bulletin service sheets it mentions the ferrite ring as seen in dgardels photos......

I'd assumed it was a 'little bit of magic' that dgardel had added, now I'm wondering if its a 'standard fit' ?

anyone else got one?
Post #280201 6th Nov 2013 11:00pm
Skye_Rover

Scotland 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Cairns Blue
rusty66 wrote:

What I don't understand is why I can't just extend the loom at the plug but should 'splice' in a new loom?

I also don't quite understand the bit about IDS / ignition on off requests. What could happen to the modules (which modules) as Lorryman, I think, mentioned?

Boris

Splicing a new loom replaces the potentially damaged portion of the harness - the problems around this are due to fatigue and fracturing of the cables, leading to inductive issues - hence the ferrite ring seen in the illustrations.

The ignition key cycles together with the programming sequences are important, because there is a risk that the feedback position range of voltages for the turbo actuator may shift, therefore the ECU must be allowed to re-learn the upper and lower limits in a correct sequence. If the position feedback is misinterpreted, there is a risk of the turbo locking solid on the worm drive (a major, major issue with this type of Hella controller on Garrett turbos) as the positioner is driven past its physical end-stop.

Hope that helps a little, sorry for the appalling delay in responding to this bit of the thread. Rolling Eyes Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #280229 7th Nov 2013 12:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>