↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Dispute with new neighbours over kitchen extractor fan!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
eutek

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Dispute with new neighbours over kitchen extractor fan!
Hi all... figured I'd post this here as there are bound to be experienced members who might be able to offer an opinion!

Anyway... We recently bought a house from the early '60s. We decided to move the kitchen from it's old location to an existing extension in the rear of the house.

The builder put the extractor fan exhaust directly out the wall, which overlooks the neighbour's garden. This wasn't our preference, so in the spirit of keeping relations good with the neighbours I went next door to inform them of this and not to worry, we'll be moving it ASAP. Nothing is hooked up to it yet, it isn't in use.

The vent, as it exists now, is over two meters above their rear garden (we're slightly uphill from them). Our extension wall is on our side of the property, about 10cm or so from a fence. The houses are semi-detached. At no point does the vent protrude into their property - so I doubt that this is a party wall issue.

The couple didn't take this well at all; the woman went hysterical - stating it was going to devalue their property, that we've no right to do this, party wall act, that it (and the gas flue that comes out the back of the house) is an eyesore etc. She threatened to go to the council and get a solicitor involved etc.

I explained that we're going to vent it through the one-story flat roof instead, it won't vent directly into their garden.

However the neighbours aren't happy with this either, they're insisting that we relocate it on the far side of the extension roof, as they feel it is only 6' from their first floor bedroom window. It isn't, it is roughly 10+ feet, and it will be squarely on the top of our roof.

Is there any legal standing in regards to the positioning of kitchen extractor fan exhausts? The neighbours claim there are... keep citing it is only 6'' feet from their window. I spoke with the council, and they didn't seem to care, put me in touch with a buildings reg surveyor and he said that he wasn't aware of any issues providing everything was on our side of the boundary and we're not directly venting into their property.

He did add that if it were venting directly into their back garden, there might be a case for a complaint with the environment people, as we'd be creating a nuisance, but he said if it were on the roof, he doubted it.

Does anyone with experience in these matters concur or perhaps can advise otherwise?

Thanks!
Post #327559 1st May 2014 5:45pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Hi, there are no laws or British standards to my knowledge with regards to the termination of a kitchen fan exhaust in a domestic premise (house), a cooker hood extractor fan on the other hand has implications due to odurs etc but still does not contravene any building regs etc.
The boiler will have many laws and regulations to adhere to let me know if you require the ins and outs of this.

Hope it helps

Thumbs Up 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #327566 1st May 2014 6:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Diablo

1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Keswick Green
No direct experience, but neighbourly disputes are dreadful things to get involved in. Legally, I imagine that there's nothing wrong with it as long as it isn't a nuisance - as you said.

I'd try and get some sort of compromise agreed with them though - pointing out any relevant issues, such as difficulties in routing. Whilst they sound somewhat abrasive, it would be better to placate them.
Post #327568 1st May 2014 6:26pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I have done a LOT of DIY work over the years, and I can think of no laws that permit you from doing what you've said. Neighbours can be complete Censored - I know, I have one! Just ALWAYS keep to the letter of the law, and they'll just be annoying Censored . Just bear in mind though that extractor fans also expel voices. A row with the wife can be heard fairly clearly on the extract side of a fan. Now left.
Post #327571 1st May 2014 6:30pm
grumpy old git

United Kingdom 
No, there's no Building Regulations that prohibit extractors going across boundaries, on most of the high volume estates they're all like that though necessity due to site layouts. We get a few complaints about the pluming from condensing boilers as well but there's nothing specific to prevent that either.
Post #327572 1st May 2014 6:32pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
As Bear says, no specific rules about kitchen extracts but there are laws about 'things' escaping from your property - water, effluent, etc - that could possibly be invoked. It would require your neighbour to complain, probably to environmental health in the first instance, and then depend on their view as to whether it went any further. As your neighbour has clearly already taken exception, it seems likely that she will the very first time that the smell of your curry or whatever drifts over her garden though.

Neighbour disputes are never pleasant, unfortunately. You either say sod'em and deal with the consequences if they come or try and accommodate them. The only problem with the latter is that trying to accommodate the blatantly unreasonable is nigh on impossible.

It might be worth talking with the local environmental health and get their view to try and pre-empt future problems? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #327574 1st May 2014 6:37pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Speak to your local council building control- Just noticed you have Embarassed As long as it is as you describe, and you only use your kitchen for personal use (not for financial gain) there is no reason why you cannot vent in either location. By moving it as you proposed, it is for there consideration. Banging Head It is more than I would do now. They are jumping to all sorts of conclusions- fear of the unknown. As regards devaluing there property Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #327641 1st May 2014 9:31pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Well as an Estate Agent, I can assure you it will not de-value their property. As someone who also develops property I can also assure you that thousands of properties across the land have not only kitchen extractors, but also boilers venting towards neighbouring properties usually down the side passage between properties. They do all need to vent above the head height of anyone walking past though.
Your neighbours are being ridiculous and unreasonable and clearly are using you to vent some completely different frustration going on in there lives - probably their miserable marriage or something. I'd leave the vent just where it is now and not go to all the cost of venting through the flat roof.
Tell them it is within the law and if they don't like it that's just too bad. They are probably just jealous of you, your life and your Defender.
They need to get a life. Ignore them.
Post #327652 1st May 2014 10:06pm
eutek

Thanks for all the responses.

We've decided to reroute the duct through the roof, to placate the neighbours. It is harder to keep that sealed against the rain etc (I've been told) but hey... all in the spirit of good relations.

The engineer who put in the boiler (Viessman - it is supposed to be quite good) was quite careful, as a matter of fact he discovered that the original boiler was installed incorrectly (long story - many gas leaks accelerated our whole kitchen/boiler move).

thanks again to everyone for the advice!
Post #327655 1st May 2014 10:11pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Keep it where it is, but add a decent carbon filter (as you would fit for a re circulation installation) so there will be little or no smells emanating from your kitchen.

Bear in mind the smell from a BBQ in the garden, let alone smoke etc, or even the smell through an open kitchen window!

Personally I'd avoid putting anything through a flat roof, asking for trouble!
Post #327656 1st May 2014 10:11pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I can't see any issue so I wouldn't worry. Thumbs Up
The lot living opposite to us tried last year to cut off my living and close our business too.
And they are related! Ex related now as far as I am concerned. Rolling Eyes
Ignorance is bliss IMO but that does depend on if they can get anything on you legally or not.
As mentioned above it was a boiler outlet there could indeed be implications but for a simple vent it should be fine.
Post #327658 1st May 2014 10:14pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Ditto - do not put a hole in the flat roof. You'll always have leaks
Post #327660 1st May 2014 10:15pm
eutek

These neighbours are something else... just two doors down from us, we have the "Commander of the Neighbourhood Watch", as he introduced himself. ("We run a tight ship around here...")

He told that I had to move my wife's car right away, as they have a no-parking agreement on this side of the street. Explained we're moving, unloading - I'll move it as soon as we can. Came back again and pestered me... so I moved it.

A week later, during my 3-year old daughter's birthday party, he kept coming around to moan about the cars blocking the bus, being on the street etc. It was a Sunday, so the bus ran once an hour... and it got by w/o issues. Don't know what bus he was watching.

Same day IKEA made a huge delivery (kitchen), so they had to park somewhere... and of course The Commander popped by again. I told him to mind his business, in a less polite way.

I spoke with the Council about this "agreement", they knew nothing about it and referred me to the Roads & Highways people, who again ensured me that as long as we weren't breaking any rules (no double-yellow lines, no explicit "no parking" etc) that he was talking out of his arse.

Next time he comes by Mrs. Eutek is going to have a less-than-quiet word with him.

Figures... before we moved here, we wanted this type of neighbourhood. Be careful what you wish for I guess. Laughing
Post #327663 1st May 2014 10:23pm
jimbob7

You were good enough to offer to relocate it, if they want to get arsey I'd be inclined to leave it were it is,otherwise they'll be moaning at everything you do,from washing your car to pegging out the washing. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #327665 1st May 2014 10:27pm
gvw

England 
Smilesapart wrote:
Ditto - do not put a hole in the flat roof. You'll always have leaks

+1 Thumbs Up
Post #327670 1st May 2014 10:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>