↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Dispute with new neighbours over kitchen extractor fan!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
I believe not biting the bait and keeping cool and not replicating behaviour.
If you do you won't get any help from authorities or Police etc and however difficult it gets you'll have to put up with it.
If it's a genuine case then they'll keep on attacking you of which you can log and document to build up a case against them.
Also they will start to believe and log the issues you've been having too.
For me personally today I've had the greatest news!
They're being chucked out / clearing off a good few miles away so hopefully soon I'll be able to start living a normal life again and use the front of the house and walk down the road.
I really do sympathise with others that live with this though I really do.
You have to weigh up the difference between a simple difference of opinion and harassment though.
Post #328044 3rd May 2014 3:44pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
I can think of little worse than living next to horrible neighbours that make your home life uncomfortable (or worse).
Post #328059 3rd May 2014 4:49pm
AWOL

eutek wrote:

A week later, during my 3-year old daughter's birthday party, he kept coming around to moan about the cars blocking the bus, being on the street etc.

Reminds me of the miserable old git I once lived opposite.

My son's first birthday was spoilt by his insisting that my parents moved their car from "his" guest parking space (on the public highway).

Coincidentally that was the last day I ever bumped my car up onto the verge to make exit from his driveway easier... or took parcels in for him... or even said hello to him.

As for The Commander: secretly he's pleased you're breaking the rules. It adds purpose and meaning to an otherwise sad existence by giving him the chance to whinge to other neighbours and assert his (non-existent) authority by claiming he'll resolve it for them. As long as it's legal (as indicated by road markings/highway code) continue parking where you like - he's thank you for it really. Very Happy
Post #328215 4th May 2014 8:48am
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Some excellent stories Thumbs Up I could write a book on the stories I hear from customers about neighbours but this one springs to mind these customers had a shared septic tank and the house at the top of the track would never pay for emptying so his sewer got blocked by my customer and he just waited for the sh!!! To hit the fan Whistle which it did in time Rolling with laughter blew back all over the bathroom Thumbs Up
Post #328220 4th May 2014 9:11am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
custome90steve: Yes, we did keep a log about the locked-up dog, and we complained about the constant barking. The Council asked us to keep a log about that, but we soon stopped recording it as it's daily - they go crazy barking when someone comes to their door, and as I said, as soon as I go out into my garden, they bark at me. You can't log all that - it's just incessant. We just wish for the day when they move out. We had great neighbours in there before, and at least we have fantastic neighbours the other side. To anyone moving home, I'd say have your neighbours checked out - there are investigation agencies that will do it for you. Now left.
Post #328232 4th May 2014 10:04am
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Good advice, but like you say, there's nothing to stop lovely neighbours moving on after you move in and new neighbours from hell moving in next door.
My friends bought a brand new lovely 4 bed detached in a new housing development. It was a huge step up in mortgage for them and was really stretching them to buy it. They'd not been in it long when they discovered the local 'family from hell' were being moved from their council house which was two small now they'd had a 5th kid, and were being re housed into the brand new 4 bed 'affordable home' (council house) next to my friends. Their lives were made a living hell and they couldn't sell it as the family next door were so loud and scruffy. In the end they had to rent it out and move into a rented house elsewhere
Post #328262 4th May 2014 11:49am
martinfiattech

England 
We have two neighbourhood commanders, one is some what omnipresent on our street.
He likes to check our cars tax discs, tyres, takes notes on every ones coming and goings you are not allowed to walk past his house, if you park out side / block his kitchen window he will come knock on your door and tell you to move. But its ok for him to stand out side his house with an air rifle and shoot squirrels off his roof ???
The others think they are the royal family and we should be lucky to live near them.
Once he came to borrow my snap on jump starter charger, yes fine here it is and handed it over.
It took me 2 months to get it back !! He even moaned that I made a fuss, then he comes round a few weeks later can I borrow it again, no you can`t.

If the kids (now grown up) played on our drive he would go nuts, we live in a cul de sac so our idea was if the kids are at home or playing outside with there friends we knew where they where and what they doing.
Now to me that's good parenting !

As for kitchen vents yes you can hear a good row thru them and I love listening to them who would`ent its brill, our walls are a bit thin and next door have a good few rows too Very Happy Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #328273 4th May 2014 1:09pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Martin, I think kids playing in the cul de sac depends on if you have kids or not. As someone who doesn't have any, I don't really want to have to put up with my neighbours kids playing on the cul de sac infront of my house. Isn't that what rear gardens are for? They'll be balls hitting my car and going into my front garden damaging the plants.
I know everyone with kids think that theirs are little angels, but I can assure you to people that don't have any, they are not.
I once heard someone once say 'kids are like farts - you only like your own' and I guess that's probably true.
I have neighbours with kids who make a hell of a noise playing in the back garden, but I don't mind a bit - that's what kids do and that's what gardens are for.
Post #328277 4th May 2014 2:28pm
martinfiattech

England 
I know what you mean about the whole kids thing I don`t have kids of my own I have step children, the kids that played in our garden were the local kids that grew up on the street.
Our problem was the old guy on one side of us ( died three years ago) would go nuts if the kids played in the back garden, or even walked down our drive holding a ball in fact we always took them to the park for ball games as my lads friend could only boot a ball.
I also noticed that he had placed a chair in the bottom left hand corner of his garden so he had a clean line of sight straight at my step daughters bedroom window,
this I only noticed by chance as she asked me to fix her mirror, I asked her how long he had been sitting there "oh ages, " and did you close the blind when you got dressed ? why she asked.
Sometimes I wondered about that girl,

So I went round gave him a mouth full, reminded him she`s not even 15 and you will be in big trouble if I ever see you in the top corner of your garden again. That weekend she had nets fitted.
He never bothered us after that maybe I should have rang the police, he was a miserable old bas123d he gave his wife a dogs life. Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #328281 4th May 2014 2:54pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I don't know why girls can be so naive. My wife's cousin, who is a very pretty girl, but very naive, had to take a flight to South Africa a few years ago. When she got back I asked her how the flight was. She smiled when she said that the guy next to her had fallen asleep, and must have been dreaming, as he was stroking her leg 'in his sleep'. She was horrified when I told her that he most definitely wasn't asleep! Now left.
Post #328291 4th May 2014 5:09pm
eutek

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
AWOL wrote:

As for The Commander: secretly he's pleased you're breaking the rules. It adds purpose and meaning to an otherwise sad existence by giving him the chance to whinge to other neighbours and assert his (non-existent) authority by claiming he'll resolve it for them. As long as it's legal (as indicated by road markings/highway code) continue parking where you like - he's thank you for it really. Very Happy

Good point, you're most definitely right. We must be the best thing to come along in ages, give him a reason to get up in the morning.

The couple next door haven't said a word since we've erected what looks like a mini smokestack from the SS Suburbia. In the end my wife insisted we at least try this once; got our builders to put it in, no way was I going to risk that by doing it myself.

In the past we had incredibly awful neighbours; these are just some of the weirdos we had to deal with when we lived in Londoh:
- crackheads/junkies who took over the council flat of some auld fella - booted him out and turned it into a shooting gallery
- a crazy old bat next door with multiple personality disorder that would row with herself all night, took 5 months to get the authorities to get involved
- ID theft, some nutter who would steal our rubbish
- a huge ex-con who listened to sad '50 ballads and cried all day/night... one day he flipped and kicked down the door of some single mum across the hall because her baby was crying as well, then jumped out the 3rd floor window and legged it
- "Working girl" upstairs from us who entertained customers all night and stomped around in heels

... and not really a bad neighbour, but we then had a crazy German girl who worked in the City who moved in upstairs from us. She would come home uber drunk and stumble around all night, wake us up. Whenever I'd go up to tell her to keep it down she'd answer the door in a poorly-secured bathrobe (why this never happened to me when I was single I don't know), apologise, ask me in for a drink to make up for the bother. Crying or Very sad

Last time she did this before we moved she had run a bath and forgot about it. Started to get water dripping through our bathroom light, so I went up and told her. She had a few drinks waiting for the tub to fill up (she must've been pretty well oiled beforehand) and forgot, however her answering the door in a towel and asking if I could come in and give her a hand cleaning up (not sure if she meant the water on the floor or giving her a hand with the bath) was very hard to turn down!
Post #328487 5th May 2014 10:48am
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
God, you have very good will power. I don't know many guys who have repeatedly be able to resist that temptation!
Post #328548 5th May 2014 4:49pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Strange but living in Germany 20 years and the German girls don't seem especially attractive.
However, I do remember knowing a few when I lived in the UK and they were hot as hell.
Psychology is weird... but wonderful Mr. Green Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #328562 5th May 2014 6:23pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
ah yes the neighbours.....got a call from the wife one day telling me we had no water..???

i popped home to find my stopcock had been shut off, so i did the neighbourly thing and asked next door if they had done it (recently bought the property and was renovating it) YES! he said, ive hit the water pipe with the digger and ow i cant shut it off, thats why i turned off your supply! OK i said, im turning it back on, you fix the leak ASAP.

The next day we had the same thing...no water, i went round to see the builder and was told they cant fix the leak due to snapping the pipe off at the edge of the footings so they were going to put themselvs a new pipe in and suggested i did the same Rolling with laughter

so calls to Wessex water / insurance companies etc etc finally meant that i had a solicitors letter from next door stating that the water that was continuously running in there footings were delayng there build and i was going to be taken to court Rolling Eyes i managed to find his other address and went to have a word.

well, his french wife swore at me for harassing them and he gave it the " do you know who i am " speech Laughing

so more calls to wessex water had the boss man out and his exact words were" cheeky b*stard" Thumbs Up

So they put me a new water main in...and charged him next door £2500 for the privilege.

he obviously took offence and at an untimely moment decided to "test" me.....he called me a C*NT.....then gave it the "do you know who i am speech again" then he came at me....................the thing is i cant quite remember what happened after that, ...i said the same thing to the desk Sargent but needless to say a smack in the mouth usually offends Rolling with laughter they were very nice at the station, even bought me lunch but i was there for the whole day! it was a clear case of self defence and i was free to go home. Whistle

they sold the house a month later...got a lovely neighbour now...she's 30 years old, blonde with a blonde lodger Bow down
Post #328617 5th May 2014 9:25pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter
Post #328620 5th May 2014 9:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>