Print this entire topic · 
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
Very Happy thanks Shaggydog 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #493250 17th Jan 2016 1:41pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
It was about 8 years ago but I have done it. Was during the early years of my Land Rover journey when I fitted a snorkel, lack of a riv-nut tool meant I had to remove/refit the heater to put nuts on the back of the bolts holding it to the wing.

I definitely remember having to remove the washer bottle and obviously the wingtop intake duct. Might have also removed the turbo heatshield for clearance. Other than that I don't recall it being too much of a hassle to do, other than trying to undo the bottom bolts through the footwell on my own. The new seal should be glued into place to stop it falling off during fitting.
Post #493259 17th Jan 2016 2:24pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Quote:
The new seal should be glued into place to stop it falling off during fitting.

And there is the golden nugget of information I was missing!

The seal was a huge rubber sponge affair which didn't really fit very well to begin with so I think that caused 90% of the issues when refitting.

Of course its now much more busy as the webasto water pump is now fitted to the bottom of it and the webasto has replaced the washer pump so is very much a tighter squeeze then it once was. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #493276 17th Jan 2016 3:26pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Goes without saying also, genuine seals only. Like most aftermarket seals, the Britpart/whatever versions of these are poorly shaped and make fitting even harder.
Post #493327 17th Jan 2016 5:48pm
dorsetsmith

shaggydog wrote:
Quote:
The new seal should be glued into place to stop it falling off during fitting.

And there is the golden nugget of information I was missing!

The seal was a huge rubber sponge affair which didn't really fit very well to begin with so I think that caused 90% of the issues when refitting.

Of course its now much more busy as the webasto water pump is now fitted to the bottom of it and the webasto has replaced the washer pump so is very much a tighter squeeze then it once was.

Click image to enlarge

one of these you meen
Post #493348 17th Jan 2016 6:40pm
shaggydog

Quite so, I was recommended an Allmakes one which was not quite the fit I was hoping for.

I just have to dig my way into it now Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

Ramsay Pictures for you

Click image to enlarge

The blue wire is the earth which is fitted to the air box foot bolt. It seems good enough but I may change it another day. The relays were added by drilling a hole and adding some paint to protect it. The do get a bit damp in this position so I may end up moving them so they are closer to the inner side of the wing. The drivers side wiring goes up over the top of the fan shroud and is cable tied to the shroud. I took a picture but it corrupted when downloading Evil or Very Mad

Click image to enlarge

The drivers side is ring is attached to the power steering reservoir bolt. Again not ideal but it works and will do until I can find time to explore it a bit better.

Dorsetsmith, yes that is the one! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #493349 17th Jan 2016 6:42pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
Thanks Shaggydog those are great pictures. I will make up a similar bracket at work to mount the relays. I will consider an enclosure for them. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #493429 17th Jan 2016 9:26pm
shaggydog

Not much to report thankfully at the moment.

Just doing daily commute and getting very mucky.

Went around underneath it the other day and greased all the prop shafts and other greasing points. Was a once in a lifetime event actually as I just parked up and the props were aligned just right so I could get to every single one! What are the odds!?

I'm slowly trying to put a maintenance spreadsheet together for my truck so as certain mileages are reached I an perform the recommended maintenance. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #497408 28th Jan 2016 2:20pm
shaggydog

Bit of another boring update this one but hey ho that seems to be life at the moment.

My old girl has been working hard since our move, done over 4000 miles since new years and is returning a steady 31mpg which is a bit disappointing considering the gas flowed head. If I could have gone for a standard head I would have it is really not worth the extra money. It is slightly smoother but otherwise there is no performance gains and if anything I have lost mpg as I was a steady 33mpg last year.

The only niggle I have at the moment (as I fly around the flat touching every piece of wood I can find) is my gearbox is leaking oil. Not allot, about 250ml every 3 months but it is making a bit of a mess under my parking space. Everything I can see points to the rear output seal being a full gearbox strip-down job to fix which is just not feasible at the moment. So I'm using steam engine technology and just keeping it topped up with oil. As one of my old CME's used to say "oil is the cheapest form of engineering" Rolling Eyes

She is looking rather filthy at the moment

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The weather is not exactly enthusing me to go out and wash it. Plus I have my neighbours brand new BMW on one side and my other neighbours brand new Mercedes on the other side so it makes you very careful about where your muddy soap suds land!

As far as mods go everything is on hold at the moment as Miss Shaggydogs Td5 is a real drain on our living expenses at the moment which is not helping at all. But.... I can still make a list...

Still To Do;
Washer bottle leak
Alpine light window seals
Internal rear window mesh/guards
Heated Windscreen and Mirrors
Sort out heating system (full dash strip out and wing off seal, paint, insulate and probably welding)
Would love to add heated seats but that is definitely blue sky thinking thing at the moment.
Dash Pod for Rev Counter and Temp Gauge and Switches
Properly Paint the USW panels and sort out the inside finally. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #511019 5th Mar 2016 3:47pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
It may be dirty but it looks tidy. I've just fitted a mini mud pod in mine, a tidy bit of kit and easy to fit.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #511028 5th Mar 2016 4:08pm
Crofter

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Baltic Blue
Shaggydog

Your Defender looks good well worth the work. I enjoy this thread.

Thomas
Post #511062 5th Mar 2016 5:42pm
shaggydog

Thanks Guys Embarassed

I'm glad people enjoy reading my ramblings and how to's makes it all feel a bit worth it Very Happy

I have given her a clean now but came inside for a cup of tea and a biscuit, so will go and grab a picture in a minute. Quick once over with one bucket and then another bucket to give it a proper clean off, then a towel down and spray of liquid wax. Then gave the interior a quick hoover out and then gave her a going over with some hard wax just to try and give the paint some protection from the salt and mud.

Mo, Which one did you go for? do you have a picture?

I have been looking at the RDX ones from bolton bits which have the recesses for gauges in them ready. not sure what the quality is like but I remember reading someone else having fitted one with great effect Smile

I have the gauges and having now bought them do want to use them. Problem is I am having reservations because I don't want it to look like a "boy racer".

I am leaning a bit more towards the lower one as it would take up less room and could hold the switches for the screen, seats and wing mirrors- eventually! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #511109 5th Mar 2016 7:20pm
shaggydog

Everyone loves a before and after shot!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Very Happy Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #511123 5th Mar 2016 8:07pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Here you go shaggydog 😊
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #511254 6th Mar 2016 11:21am
shaggydog

Looks Great! Thanks for the pic Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #511348 6th Mar 2016 4:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 13 of 19 <123 ... 121314 ... 171819>