↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Shaggydogs Running Restoration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 18 of 19 <123 ... 171819>
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Good Suggestion, Some fairy liquid may help too!

Just make sure its dry before putting any power through it Shocked Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #602251 16th Feb 2017 1:16pm
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
Nothing like a bit of lube Whistle
Post #602263 16th Feb 2017 1:43pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Been a while since ive been on here but always like to see whats going on.
Sorry to hear about the hassle you've had. Personally though i'd of been chuffed at the result with the payout (not the wasted time though)
If you want details of the very good painter Ii use in Essex feel free to drop me a pm. He used to own defenders and has done all the work on my cars.

Cheers Tom Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #602290 16th Feb 2017 3:21pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
If you use the headlamp bowls with the open back then you don't need to fiddle with the loom at all.

It also means changing a bulb is a 30-second job rather than having to strip the unit out from the front.
Post #602299 16th Feb 2017 3:52pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Spend 3.5k on paint ? Out with a roller and a tin of coach enamel and give it some character. Then buy some nice goodies for it with the 3.4k left over. 😊
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #602357 16th Feb 2017 7:09pm
shaggydog

Thanks for the offer Tom Thumbs Up

The money is ok, would rather have not been in this situation but hey ho! they hardly covered themselves with glory....

For now I have some rough waters ahead of me so the money is being kept to one side as a shiny painted defender wont pay my rent.... so we shall see what happens.

Retro, when I replaced the bowls I bought the wrong ones and had wanted the bowls with the removable bung at the back. They are on the list of things to change but for now its a fairly low priority. Where did you get your ones from concededly?

Mo, ha! I would love to do a proper coach painted finish but I fear my painting skills are not what they once were. I have a good idea of what I want to end up with. Just need to get some ducks lined up at the moment.

Not much has happened since I got her back.

I wanted to change the alternator but didn't realise that in order to run the uprated cable to the starter motor you have to drop the exhaust, webasto exhaust, and possibly intake manifold to get to it. That job has been parked for now but will hopefully come back into focus next month.

That coupled with the rising price of diesel has put me off the road for the last few days as 15 a day on train tickets is cheaper than fuel. Something has to change and change soon Big Cry Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #602579 17th Feb 2017 1:12pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I can't remember where I got the bowls from. However I recently replaced them as I stripped one of the adjuster threads and couldn't get open-backed ones so just cut my own hole in the back instead.

Yours is a 200Tdi isn't it? It should be doable to run a new cable from the alternator to the starter motor without removing all that stuff - probably from underneath for the last bit. If you can't get to the starter motor terminals then just run it to the battery instead. The factory wiring goes right round the other side of the engine to avoid the exhaust, which can just stay in place.

Move closer to work? Whistle

Anything to avoid using trains!
Post #602601 17th Feb 2017 2:43pm
shaggydog

Good point about the hole! I might be able to find a grommet with a hole in the middle which I can shimmy it through so it retains some waterproofness.

It is indeed! The wire supplied is enough to follow the original route. I think if I drop the exhaust down I should have enough room to attach it onto the starter terminal. Problem is I have big hands and with the webasto gubbins in the way its a bit tight on space. I can have a tennis match on the other side of the engine mind!

Plans are emerging but were not moving as we love where we are for now. But soon enough something will change, just waiting on some ducks to line up before I pull the trigger Whistle

Its not so bad using the train, its just....eh. Plus I don't mind queuing in traffic as I can usually route around it. When its raining and you have heard the announcement say" The next train is delayed by 20 minutes, Southeastern apologies for the inconvenience" for the 8th time it gets a bit thin. Though at least its a better service than Southern Shocked Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #603303 20th Feb 2017 1:28pm
shaggydog

Anyway, where was I?
So progress on my 110 has been somewhat slow.

For my sins she has been in storage for the last 2 years and unfortunately remains so. After the complete cluster-fudge of how I was treated and the damage done to my girl it caused all sorts of issues which culminated with her going into storage. As well as quitting my job, buying a Volvo (Never Again Shocked) doing truck driving for a while, scrapping the Volvo and buying a Ford Ranger (great truck Thumbs Up), ending up doing a few weeks of heavy recovery and then moving house, getting another job and a dog.

Who asked?! I hear you cry! Well nobody, which is fine I'm just building a picture of why I haven't been around much.

So, having been thoroughly mucked about and "Rogerd" so to speak by LR I was left in a situation where I had a load of bits for my truck but nowhere or way to fit them. This included bits of trim, doors, lights all sorts of nonsense which I had been assured would be fitted but in the end was told nah jog on.

The doors most notably were a set of S&P Galvanised ones which since buying I have reluctantly had to store in my damp cold shed. Until a couple of days ago..

With trepidation I loaded the boxes into the back of the ranger and took them to work so they could be assessed for painting. Bearing in mind I had not opened the boxes in over 2 years I was half expecting to pull them out and find them bright red rusty and useless.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Well the results speak for themselves! Over the moon they have not got a speck of deterioration on them and should (fingers crossed) be heading into paint at the end of the month. I can whole heartedly recommend them if your thinking about replacing your doors use these ones, they are cracking!

So hopefully here marks the start of getting my rolling restoration rolling again. Now just need to split my time between gundog training, shooting, gardening, work, rebuilding my truck as well as rebuilding and looking after these lumps....

Can always sleep when your dead Laughing Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #819437 13th Mar 2020 3:44pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up
Post #819439 13th Mar 2020 4:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Welcome back! Thumbs Up
Post #819442 13th Mar 2020 4:13pm
shaggydog

Very glad to be back!

Will be even happier when I'm listening to her rumbling along again Very Happy Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #819446 13th Mar 2020 4:23pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Watching with interest!
Post #819472 13th Mar 2020 7:00pm
L110CDL

England 
Great to have you back Shaggy Thumbs Up

I like those big lumps that you have to look after Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #819485 13th Mar 2020 7:57pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
As Clayton says, I like those lumps 👍

I can’t believe it has been so long. Welcome back
Post #819487 13th Mar 2020 8:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 18 of 19 <123 ... 171819>