↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > TD5 rear springs - which brand?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
seventh-heaven

United Kingdom 
TD5 rear springs - which brand?
Aquired my 2002 Defender 90 in December after many years without having driven one - intended use is for everyday use assocaited with my business (fed up of wrecking my nice daily with bits of boat!).

Overall very pleased - fundamentally an excellent van that PO fitted a new Richards Chassis to only 12 months ago!

However I am underwhelmed by the suspension for mostly everyday road use. Current set up was all new when chassis was replaced (some bushes done some not) and was initially all standard Britpart springs and Dampers but with no anti-roll bars. PO told me he had then replaced the rear springs with what he described as HD Springs.

With normal driving on Norfolk back roads the front end feels ok - about what I would expect of a Defender, but the rear end is incredibly "crashy". It is also noticable that the back is grossly under damped - either because the springs are too strong for the dampers or more likely the dampers are already shot, I found evidence of oil leakage when I first got it and did an undercar inspection. When I get it out of the garage there is a inch or so drop from the concrete pad onto the driveway - this makes the back end bounce up and down 2 or 3 times before it settles.

So having done much reading on here I have decided to replace the back springs with standard 90 springs and Bilstien B6 dampers - however my remaining question is which brand of spring? After all a spring is a spring and if the manufacturer have followed the OE spec the only quesiton should be quality of finish and longevity - except that I understand that the OE Spec was for a progressive spring. Many of the springs labelled as standard 90 springs for the TD5 don't look progressive - I always udnerstood that I would expect to see a difference in the coil spacing for the different spring rates in the spring?

Britpart through to Land Rover appears to vary between about £20 and £100 - and at £100 per spring you are into ALIVE Tuning Comfort Springs territory!

So where is the wise money spent - answers on a postcard please!!

Last edited by seventh-heaven on 25th Feb 2022 5:59pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #943804 25th Feb 2022 4:28pm
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
I am planing to go with Alive comfort spring with Fox 2.0 dampers for my mainly road use.

I have heard nothing but good reports on this set up. Just waiting for my piggy bank to fill back up.
Post #943808 25th Feb 2022 4:46pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I suspect that the springs are absolutely fine, but the mismatched bushes and Britpart shocks will not be helping at all.

Did the PO replace the bushes with Britpart polybushes? The Britpart Yellow bushes are like hockey pucks, hard and un-yielding.

Are the shocks the Britpart Celluar variety? They are awful IMO create such a hard ride.

Are the springs black with dashes of colour on them or painted yellow? If dashes, what are the colour combinations. Check out http://www.red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html to decipher the dashes of colour to spring rates and lengths.

What are you planning for the Defender? Work horse or mile-muncher? If the latter or you are planning on towing then perhaps the Alive comfort setup wouldn't be the best option.

Whatever you decide spring and shock-wise I would strongly recommend a full set of SuperPro bushes to be starting with. Just about the best bush for all situations.
Post #943810 25th Feb 2022 5:02pm
seventh-heaven

United Kingdom 
Thanks - daily use as yard our yard hack - will be rare to carry heavy loads, will not do massive miles but will occasionally be used for towing boats.

No markings on the dampers, but they are black and the invoice lists them as a Britpart component.

In terms of the springs they are all yellow.

No evidence of poly type bushes - just rubber so again I suspect that it was plain bog standard Britpart cheapies.
Post #943811 25th Feb 2022 5:21pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
If the springs are yellow then they are definitely Britpart and they are OK. The HD Britpart springs are very hard when you have an empty load space.

Personally if I were you I would source a set of TD5 standard springs (these come in single and dual rated versions), SuperPro bushes and some quality shocks. I am a fan of Old Man Emu shocks, but there are plenty of others out there, Fox seem to be the manufacturer of choice at the moment, but Bilstein and Koni are equally good.

You do not say whether it is a 90, 110 or 130. I suspect you are not going to want a lift.
Post #943819 25th Feb 2022 5:41pm
seventh-heaven

United Kingdom 
Sorry! Yes it is a 90 - edited origonal post!!

Yes I had already concluded that the best next step was standard springs - my question was about what Brand? Specifically I suggested:

Britpart through to Land Rover appears to vary between about £20 and £100 - and at £100 per spring you are into ALIVE Tuning Comfort Springs territory!

So can anyone recommend some standard dual rate springs - as in Brand!
Post #943823 25th Feb 2022 6:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1