↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Overdrive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Monkey

Ireland 
Overdrive
Right i know this has been done to death but alas im still not sure what to do. After my recent trip to Spain in my defender is obvious that its not designed for motorway speeds. I'm going for a hearing test in the morning lol...
Problem is i like the closer ratio on the defender transfer box unlike a discovery which seems slow and sluggish the defender is quick and sharp etc etc.. So what does one do.

A remap and disco transfer box..

Or keep the Defender transfer box and get an overdrive fitted.

I dont do much towing at present but that's not to say i wont be towing in the future. When going off roading i fit some 35" tyres although at low box this wont make a difference in high it will....

On the ashcroft website i noticed a option for a higher 5th gear 0.732 although i no very little about ratios..

All opinions appreciated.
Regards
Tristan
Post #313631 4th Mar 2014 11:31pm
Millsy94

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Aintree Green
I have gone for the overdrive route and apart from a dodgy switch ive found it very reliable over the last 10,000 miles and cruising is a dream, i went this route as i frequently tow heavy loads, others have had many problems but despite what you may get told they are far from complicated should they ever cause trouble. i can happily cruise at 70 but a remap will be welcome too hope this helps, Ed
Post #313791 5th Mar 2014 8:17pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
are you sure ascroft offer just a higher 5th gear? all i could see was high 1:2 gear set!! (same as disco)
how much is overdrive unit? you can have a fully reconned defender lt230 with 1:2 (disco) high ratio gear set for five hundred ish!!! My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #313797 5th Mar 2014 8:29pm
SiWhite

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
A 1.2 transfer box will give you taller gearing i.e at 70mph you would rev at 2000rpm instead of the current 2300rpm (figures made up but are illustrative of the change).

An overdrive will effectively change your gearbox into a six speed unit. It is about three times as expensive but you get to keep your current close ratio box.

Before you do anything, check what ratio your current transfer box is. There will be a small white sticker with red writing on the rear face of it.

If I were in your position, I would fit a 1.2 transfer box and have soundproof (dynamat or a cheaper alternative) fitted. My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

110 TD5 BuildHERE - sold!
110 Tdci Build HERE - sold!
Passat Alltrack - 4x4, auto, 45mpg, gloriously comfortable - but not a Defender!
Post #313803 5th Mar 2014 8:41pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Argh! Decisions decisions and one that I can't make Banging Head Tis something I have wrestled with over and over. The overdrive is probably the best route, although I understand the best is 'The Roamerdrive' unit, but this dose involve the adding of another gear leaver. Many run the 1.2 transfer box. I have nearly gone that route several times, but my need to tow heavy loads has stopped me. I have been in a couple that have had it fitted, and on a tuned defender and 265 tyres they still pull reasonably well. One member utilizes the low box when towing. I'm not 100% sure but I think Diesel Jim ran 35" tyres on a 1.2 transfer box. Might be worth PM'ing him. Thumbs Up I have done all the dynamat, and it will be beneficial. The best mod was a couple of amps and bigger speakers, then you cant hear anything else Mr. Green
Post #313808 5th Mar 2014 8:54pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
I have tuned D2 with 32" tyres and it is lazy, but usable. For 130 TD5 wagon I'm just repairing I have quite different plan:
standard grearbox a LT230 with 1:1,4 ratio, overdrive, slower gears in diffs 1:3,8 ratio instead of standard 1:3,54 and 34" tyres.
Go to Ashcrofts web a check their Ratio calculator. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #313833 5th Mar 2014 10:08pm
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
I did exactly what SiWhite is suggesting here, getting a 1.2 ratio transfer box fitted by Ashcrofts (or rather their agent) and added noise insulation - in my case a mixture of Dynamat and Noisekiller.

Result is a hardtop perfectly comfortable at 70mph for long periods. 2003 Td5 110 Hardtop
Now a 2013 110 USW too.
Post #313836 5th Mar 2014 10:25pm
The Monkey

Ireland 
Millsy94 wrote:
I have gone for the overdrive route and apart from a dodgy switch ive found it very reliable over the last 10,000 miles and cruising is a dream, i went this route as i frequently tow heavy loads, others have had many problems but despite what you may get told they are far from complicated should they ever cause trouble. i can happily cruise at 70 but a remap will be welcome too hope this helps, Ed
if you go into the r380 section to buy a gearbox they offer a higher 5th gear. If this was the case it would be easier and cheaper than buying a over drive... have a freibd wuth defender box must give it a go... I just like the close ration in a defender makes overtaking a lot easier etx etc
Post #313850 5th Mar 2014 11:34pm
Marky Boy

United Kingdom 
I did the same as Macpaul, Ashcroft 1.2 gears fitted by their fitters, sound proofing and stage 1 remap by alive. It pulls really well in all gears and 70mph cruising with occasional 80mph overtaking is the norm.
Post #314057 6th Mar 2014 9:14pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
The Monkey wrote:
Millsy94 wrote:
if you go into the r380 section to buy a gearbox they offer a higher 5th gear. If this was the case it would be easier and cheaper than buying a over drive... have a freibd wuth defender box must give it a go... I just like the close ration in a defender makes overtaking a lot easier etx etc

ah ok, just had a look, didn't realise you could do that. that sounds like a very good option. cheaper than overdrive and a new gearbox too!!! be interesting to know what difference it makes! My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #314060 6th Mar 2014 9:30pm
The Monkey

Ireland 
Think ill wait till i need a new box in mean time remap and soundproof...
Post #314128 6th Mar 2014 11:29pm
Millsy94

g-mack wrote:
The Monkey wrote:
Millsy94 wrote:

ah ok, just had a look, didn't realise you could do that. that sounds like a very good option. cheaper than overdrive and a new gearbox too!!! be interesting to know what difference it makes!

I doubt it'd be much cheaper I got my overdrive for £230 and I can use it as a clutch less splitter in 3rd 4th and 5th so does have a few advantages over a high 5th
Post #314479 8th Mar 2014 2:50pm
Derrickthedefender

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
I have a TD5 with stage one remap and dynamat sound proofing, any one have the same with the overdrive or 1.2 ratio? What sort of MPG are you getting??

Ben A Defender... Mans best friend, never judges, trustworthy (most of the time), go anywhere, do anything, looks the business, and mans biggest money pit!!!

Yes the name for my 90 is Derrick!
Post #314539 8th Mar 2014 8:00pm
Millsy94

Hard to give a figure on mpg as its rare for me not to be towing at some point, last fill up I got 27mpg (had towed) this is standard map snorkel 265/75/16s
Post #314766 9th Mar 2014 7:33pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
For comparison, just started using 'Road Trip' Big Cry Standard gearing, stage 2 set up on 265....... 23.84 MPG. That is just pootaling about, and no towing Thud Big Cry
Post #314804 9th Mar 2014 8:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>