munch90

England 
i would say 4 maybe a bit too tight
Post #400478 20th Feb 2015 8:43am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
okie dokie,

will try loosening off at the weekend. Thumbs Up

going back to my previous question - I seem to recall the shoes can go in either way round (does that sound about right?

and presumably there aren't any little bits or pieces that help keep the shoes in place that I could possibly be missing?
Post #400491 20th Feb 2015 9:37am
Caterham

Just to update / finish this thread off....

Hand brake doesn't work very well if the drum is mounted off centre. New output flange fitted one quick re-adjustment and it's been fine since-certainly no more rumbling when slowing down.
Thumbs Up
Post #407431 14th Mar 2015 7:19am
pumpkinpatch

South Africa 
I have exactly the same problem, going to first check the run out with a dial gauge as suggested above.
Post #532854 19th May 2016 6:04am
Justtellme

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
blackwolf wrote:
Incidentally, why did LR opt for a transmission brake back in 1947? It was so the handbrake would still work effectively (and on all four wheels) even when the (foot) brakes were full of mud/water etc. A sound design decision that has endured to this day.

Probably opted for this design because that was copied from the WW2 jeep hand brake design. Early Willys hand brakes were external transfer case contracting types which were changed to internal expanding transfer case mounted ones in 1944 to reduce contamination to brake linings.(GPWs kept the external type right to 1945 end of production)
Post #533322 21st May 2016 5:53am
Caterham

So hand brake works just fine..kind of.

It would appear the out put shaft on the rear of the transfer box is loose hence the drum moves and up/down and can isolate causing what feels like ap poorly adjusted had brake Sad

Censored - I fitted a new output flange kit about a year back Sad
Post #535597 29th May 2016 11:18am
Caterham

Damn n blast. The 4 nuts on the drum / prop flange weren't very tight. What a difference

Very Happy
Post #535977 30th May 2016 9:22pm
Caterham

So we all know that the hand brake ain't perfect hence the x-eng disc conversion.

In terms of an anchor mine works fine and guess others do too so I presume the issue is more to do so the hand brake binding while in motion -yes?

The question then is why. They're easy enough to adjust but it would appear the issue is that the shoes don't always fully retract and hence the binding. So why don't they retract. What's so different to the drums on the rear of so many 1980's car for example?
Post #536239 31st May 2016 7:47pm
SteveK

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Rimini Red
ZeDefender wrote:
Miserableolgit wrote:
A simple tweak of the adjuster to give the shoes sufficient clearance way from the drum is all that it takes to get it sorted.

...or not...

After 2 years, I have discovered Puma drums are famous for not being round Rolling Eyes and rattling/banging/scraping on various occasions (especially when hot) no matter how they are adjusted. If it happens, applying the handbrake after stopping will centre everything so it quietens down for a while.

X-Brake (disc replacement) is the only permanent solution - even our German LR mechanic knew about it Thumbs Up

Just to throw a spanner in the works: I know X-Brakes are well thought of by many, but that is not everyone's experience (including mine!!)

I fitted it and spent ages adjusting it and when it was effective as a handbrake, the pads rubbed against the disc making a juddering noise. When it was adjusted so that it didn't judder it was no longer effective as a handbrake! After several weekends taking it apart and putting it back together I rang X-Engineering and they were very helpful. Further dismantling revealed that the pads had come loose. I secured these with silicone adhesive, but it was more of the same.

After a further call to X-Engineering, I bought some new pads (originals worn by rubbing/juddering). This time I got a trusted garage to fit them as I was beginning to doubt my own abilities! Hmm - it was either judder or an ineffective handbrake!

I don't know if the X-Brake I bought was at one end of the tolerance and my propshaft, transferbox/whatever is at the other end of the spec, but I tried everything including attaching the cable to each of the alternative attachment points on the arm! in the end I came to the conclusion that life was too short to try and fit a non-juddering X-Brake and I partially recouped my losses by flogging the wretched thing on e-Bay! I have heard a few similar tales talking to other owners and browsing the forums. The standard handbrake has let me down once, but that was just the cable and (thankfully it didn't need endless adjustment to get it working after replacement!!)
Post #536733 2nd Jun 2016 12:34am
Caterham

So in general terms you have no issues with th standard drum and shoes rubbing?

In theory I can't see any reason to change the drum.....in practice it seems like the shoes don't always want to return all the way and hence rubbing - I just can't understand why?
Post #536737 2nd Jun 2016 5:53am
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
I have a judder in the driveline and i expect it to be the transmission brake, will take the prop and drum off and disassemble the mechanisms, clean, lubricate all moving parts ensuring they are free to move. hopefully will do the trick.

I had to do the same to my old BMW handbrake as they were disc for normal brakes but drum and shoe for hand brake!

fingers crossed it will solve my issue!
Post #536750 2nd Jun 2016 7:38am
Caterham

good luck.
Post #536772 2nd Jun 2016 8:36am
SteveK

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Rimini Red
Caterham wrote:
So in general terms you have no issues with th standard drum and shoes rubbing?

In theory I can't see any reason to change the drum.....in practice it seems like the shoes don't always want to return all the way and hence rubbing - I just can't understand why?

Apart from having to change the cable (which means having to drop the prop shaft on a TD5) I've had no real issues withe the standard drum arrangement.
Post #536791 2nd Jun 2016 9:23am
Caterham

Hmm. I perhaps need to look at the cable again. I replaced the original cable as it was a little frayed and I assumed it could be that preventing the shoes returning full?

hay hum.

thanks.
Post #536796 2nd Jun 2016 9:32am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
When I bought mine sometimes with would hold at 3 clicks, sometimes it would roll away and would need 4 clicks. Got used to just putting it at 4 clicks all the time but now it sometimes needs 5 clicks. I've obviously stretched the cable or worn the brake somehow but I haven't had it that long and don't think I've abused it.

What's the correct procedure for using the brake? The TD5 we have on the farm you have to pull up miles before it does anything resembling worth while.
Post #536805 2nd Jun 2016 9:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>