↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > how does the hand brake work
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
how does the hand brake work
I'm interested to understand how the hand brake works. I had assumed it was like a disc brake on a wheel but cable operated.

but I'm thinking not ?

where I park up at work its on an incline and this morning I applied the hand brake just before moving the car slightly and then reapplying the hand brake - two very different feels to the lever.

so I had a little play -

apply hand brake roll back slightly reapply

did this several times and then there it was again - a different feel. its as if there's a thicker bit the disc and at that point there's less movement in the hand brake lever. tried this a few times and it was in the same place so I'm sure its not a simple case of caliper sticking.

not knowing how the hand brake works the above could be a load of tosh. would be interested in understanding the workings (could be more sleepless nights otherwise Shocked )

thank you.
Post #237650 22nd May 2013 6:56am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The hand brake is essentially a drumbrake on the back of the transfer box. The fact that it's in the driveline accounts for the 'roll back' as the slack is taken up. The slightly different feel betweeen applications is merely due the inherent play in the way that the shoes seat depedning on how much load is applied each time it's engaged, i.e. whether it's parked on a hill or not.

It's essentially the same design as used on Sereies Land Rovers and is not a precision instrument. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #237659 22nd May 2013 7:27am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
LRA.

thank you very much for that. so its a drum not a disc Embarassed

I'm sure its just me worrying unnecessarily but its still seems strange how the bite point might closer in one area of the drum than another on the same incline Confused

makes me wonder if this and the rumbling (like warped discs) when slowing down is related ?
Post #237663 22nd May 2013 7:45am
Cakey

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Mine tends to move after I put the handbrake on. Think I need to carry chocks Very Happy
Post #237674 22nd May 2013 8:12am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
X-Eng supply a disc handbrake kit if you wanted to go that route
Post #237697 22nd May 2013 9:48am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dorstsmith2

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Mine tends to move after I put the handbrake on. Think I need to carry chocks

Or use 17mm opened spanner to make adjustments jack up one back wheel use the chocks on the front wheel adjust the nut at the back of transmission brake until drum will not turn back off 1/2 turn this is with hand brake lever off on appealing the hand brake lever to 4 notches the transmission brake shod be in operation

Of cores this is only if you don`t wont carry chocks Whistle have had VW van run away down hill du to hand brake recall not being sent to my by VW ('Evil or Very Mad') Exclamation
Post #237699 22nd May 2013 9:57am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
So now you are worrying about something else Wink Rolling Eyes

The handbrake is totally different from your average car and as LA says it works by a drum brake fixed to the back of the transfer box. There are no cables to the back wheels, the Defender system is quite separate from the footbrake components.

You will get a degree of movement after you applied the transmission brake [for that is what it is] and released the foot-brake, it's just the taking up the slack in the various components etc.

For some reason Puma transmission brakes were [are] more prone to coming from the factory badly adjusted than earlier models, which is odd considering the design has been pretty similar throughout the model history. You will find many threads on here about people experiencing juddering and odd noises from the brake especially when freewheeling or on over-run. A simple tweak of the adjuster to give the shoes sufficient clearance way from the drum is all that it takes to get it sorted. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #237700 22nd May 2013 9:59am
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
my very first instruction in land rover driving 20+ years ago was NEVER try a handbrake turn in a LR!
"they don't work like normal cars"
Post #237702 22nd May 2013 10:07am
dorstsmith2

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
I have seen 110 MOD handbrake turn Bow down no pic and the drive and passenger balled out as LR taking small arms fire
Post #237704 22nd May 2013 10:14am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
There were issues with the early Puma handbrakes arising from oil migration past the transfer box rear output shaft seal into the drum. This was despite the assembly and seals being identical to the Td5 and was apparently due to the fact the the engine is nose-up on the Puma. There was a recall to deal with this.

I am sure that everyone here knows this, but you should of course never apply a transmission brake of this kind when moving (make sure the MOT tester knows it is a t-brake as well) due to the risk of transmission breakage.

Incidentally, why did LR opt for a transmission brake back in 1947? It was so the handbrake would still work effectively (and on all four wheels) even when the (foot) brakes were full of mud/water etc. A sound design decision that has endured to this day.
Post #237719 22nd May 2013 11:14am
custom90

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:

I am sure that everyone here knows this, but you should of course never apply a transmission brake of this kind when moving (make sure the MOT tester knows it is a t-brake as well) due to the risk of transmission breakage.

I think IIRC in the manual that it states to also make sure the footbrake is fully applied before putting on the hand brake. In other words you must be at a complete stop before applying with the vehicle "settled" so to speak. So not something you should say drive into your driveway with slam on the footbrake and at the same time the hand brake. That's when you'll get that movement and lurch in the transmission slack. There can be a small amount of slack on a hill be I've always found it extremely minimal and also found the handbrake to be extremely strong with a good hold. Unlike many cars! Rolling Eyes Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #237722 22nd May 2013 11:41am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Go Beyond wrote:
X-Eng supply a disc handbrake kit if you wanted to go that route

Yes - they look good, and are well-recommended on this forum.

Once out-of-warranty, if I get problems, there'll be a X-Eng brake on teh shopping list Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #237724 22nd May 2013 11:44am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Most people leave Defenders in gear as well rather than trusting the handbrake on its own. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #237754 22nd May 2013 2:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
Re: how does the hand brake work
dorstsmith2 wrote:
I have seen 110 MOD handbrake turn Bow down no pic and the drive and passenger balled out as LR taking small arms fire

small arms fire directed at me might encourage me to take the risk - assuming i couldn't run into the shooter!
Post #237755 22nd May 2013 2:53pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
JSG wrote:
Most people leave Defenders in gear as well rather than trusting the handbrake on its own.

I believe that (somewhere in the legal small print) that is still a legal requirement - an unattended vehicle must be secured by two independent means - handbrake and in-gear. It is also the reason that autos have a "park" position.
Post #237759 22nd May 2013 3:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>