↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Best snow / winter tyres and wheel combo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I have BFG A/T with snowflake symbol purchased from camskil tyres online they are great in snow and last forever Thumbs Up 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #288997 9th Dec 2013 10:52pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
General Grabber AT2's are also snowflaked and are excellent in the white stuff. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #289039 9th Dec 2013 11:54pm
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I use the Cooper Discoverer M+S, but the Nokian also gets a great review.

Both available from my tyres.co.uk:

MyTyres.co.uk: Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2 235/85/16
MyTyres.co.uk: Cooper Discoverer 235/85/16
Post #289296 10th Dec 2013 10:21pm
Timo K

Finland 
Spiked Hakkapeliitta... Twisted Evil Snigger
Post #289382 11th Dec 2013 7:03am
g13non

Ireland 
Nokian LT2's were difficult to find in the UK this year because Nokian didn't produce enough/any in 235/85/R16.

I bought a set easily last year but struggled to find another set this year until I was told approx six weeks ago that Nokian were going to run off another batch in 235/85. I had my new set within two weeks after that.
Post #289407 11th Dec 2013 9:38am
Katoom

England 
Thanks all for the advice. Btw, I appreciate I'm not allowed to sell on the site (being a newbie) but I'll soon have 5 delivery mileage Continental Cross from my new 110UTW and I'd welcome a steer on how to price them on fleabay. Whistle
Post #289555 11th Dec 2013 7:38pm
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
got my cooper m+s in 235/85R16 in today

a bit less than 235 but i like the idea of having more pressure on compacted snow.
Reason for these above the Nokians is that the profile of the new LT2 version is more road biased. I can imagine the Nokians work better as all-round winter-tire (more sipes=more biting edges = more grip) but i need a more open profile to cope with drifts (digging in) and semi-season (mud-sludge) conditions.

What i did not see in the previous 5 pages of posts is a clear statement that any MT, AT or year-round (including the duratracs) even with snowflake symbols are non comparable to a dedicated winter tire. (note that i don't say snow-tire, which is something different again)

Be aware that the snowflake standard is based on a comparison where the tyre has to be x% better than a summer tire in winter conditions. If i remember correctly 20% less braking distance. Dedicated winter tires are way above this while also taking care of traction and lateral forces.

Google being your friend, a mass of information and reviews to be found between all the different possibilities.

Coming from a country which is paralyzed when a dusting of snow falls down (belgium) i have experiences here in Slovakia with "moderate" winter conditions in FWD, RWD and 4WD vehicles and there is no alternative to dedicated winter tires.

Not going against any "i am happy with...", "I am surprised by..." etc only saying all but dedicated is a compromise in some way.

Stay safe! Thumbs Up
Post #289578 11th Dec 2013 8:21pm
ppad

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Tatra, I'll let you know in a couple of weeks!
Long story, but have a 90 TD5 RHD but live in Switzerland, am taking it for a winter holiday for a few months after Xmas. It has BFG 235/85 R16 with lots of tread as purchased, c/w snowflake symbol. I had a few choices..
. Buy winter tyres - as you say, specific high silicon rubber
. Buy snow chains
. Do nothing
The snowflake symbol meets Swiss police checks. So, we'll see. I suspect that they are excellent in snow and crap on ice. I'm going for cheap chains from Aldi or equivalent to keep in the back.
The Swiss are generally quick at clearing roads so... we'll see. Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Brought the 90 home from Switzerland ...
Post #289673 11th Dec 2013 11:41pm
timbar

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
tatra805 wrote:

Coming from a country which is paralyzed when a dusting of snow falls down (belgium)

And we'd been led to believe it was only us! 2009 110 XS Station Wagon
Post #289678 11th Dec 2013 11:54pm
Timo K

Finland 
You know it's also us... Maybe not to the same extent but still...
Post #289707 12th Dec 2013 9:23am
Cakey

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Bfg snow flake for me . Swapped my contis , feel more planted if that makes sense
Post #289712 12th Dec 2013 9:56am
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
searched a bit to refresh my memory

Snowflake exists since 1999 as a reaction to accidents with M+S or all-season tires.
Although not enforced by any laws the manufacturers set up this symbol to indicate a tire outperforms an all-season tire with 110% of grip.(so +10%) (brake test)

Dedicated winter tires easily give more than 140% and therefore institutes are calling for a(nother) new official test/approval.

Now consider the rivals and all season tires back in 1999 when the BFG AT got the snowflake (there is no periodic re-evaluation procedure) and the evolution in tire development in the past 14 years.
Also, the AT does not have the snowflake in all sizes, which indicates that reaching the +10% was not all that easy or with big margin. Remember that the AT has no real siping and no soft compound (rather hard and ever lasting) the 2 main characteristics of any winter tire.

I also had my AT's on in winter and was happy with them while very well knowing the difference with dedicated winter tires. This till i ended up in a ditch, so once again i do not want to start a "mine is best" just inform on some facts.

To make it even more complicated a recent test showed that a premium all-season works better than a low quality dedicated winter tire (chinese brands, with snow flake).

Generally the test in the link confirms my experiences. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=116

On the legal side of things, some countries requiring the snowflake, while no real specifications/requirements to it, is not all that un-logic.
As tire designs change every season, and the manufacturer compares these yearly new designs with an actual up-to-date all-season tire before putting the snowflake on all tires progress equally as also the all-seasons are evolving and getting better each year.
This however means that 110% today could have meant 160% 14 years ago...
Now our beloved BFG AT is one of the few that didn't change shape and it's snowflake rating relies on tests done back in 1999.

2cents only Smile

[URL=][/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #289743 12th Dec 2013 11:42am
ppad

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
For me this is still looking a better option:

http://www.coop.ch/pb/site/bauhobby/node/7...rice.1=179

(1chf = c 67p)

My BFG 235/85 AT will work in snow I imagine, and work enough at T < 7C to stop the car. I hope! Whistle
So it it just the occasional ice slope.. Do I keep and store 600 quid of tyres or 200 quid of chains? The web site doesn't say which ones will fit, I'll wander down to my local store at the weekend. But they seem cheaper over here than in the UK as everyone carries them. Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Brought the 90 home from Switzerland ...
Post #289827 12th Dec 2013 5:03pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Last year, in the big snow, my Cooper Discoverer STs M + S were fine but for really slippery ice under fresh snow. I have TC to help.

Camskill have a good range of 4x4 winter tyres e.g. http://www.camskill.co.uk/m101b0s1524p0/Wi..._265_70R16 Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #289953 12th Dec 2013 10:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345