Print this entire topic · 
Gabriel Boff

Brazil 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Puma overheting or "ECU´s prevent mode for not overheat
Hi all, hope someone could help....

Imagine the situation with my 90 puma 2009:
- Towing or in a hot day;
- In tarmac, climbing up a long hill in high gear;

Suddenly engine loss power, rpm back to iddle and the acelerator became without function, then the temp gauge, (that was in the middle - normal temp) raises up in constant speed to almost touch the red, then in the same speed get down to normal temp, after that, the acelerator get back and return to function and the ride continue.....With myself more quiet than a child that made sheet......

This situation occured 3 times:
- First with 70000km towing almost 3000kg in a severe hill.....
- Second and third with 79000km climbing a tarmac hill on 6th gear in a hot day....

The dealer says that never heard about it....

In the 2nd and 3th times, after I changed the fuel filter and put some STP, the situation doesn´t occured anymore, besides I started to revs the engine a little more before change gear...

But it´s very present that the engine loss much power in 4, 5 and 6th gears in hot days, and when the fan coupling locks, the Defender lost one gear!!!

Any thoughts???

Thanks and sorry by the bad english!!!

Adventure is have a Land Rover in south america.....

Best regards to all!
Post #180250 30th Oct 2012 1:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
the temp gauge thing is an ecu feed as you say to indicate something is wrong and then it goes to limp maybe?

its not underboosting is it? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #180265 30th Oct 2012 8:14am
BruceT

South Africa 
If i understand correctly, some owners have experienced similar things in South Africa during very hot periods. I have been told an intercooler sorts this out.

I have not experienced this and I also tow a heavy trailer sometimes but have recently fitted an intercooler just incase.
Post #180286 30th Oct 2012 10:33am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Lots of South Africans living in warmer regions have had this issue, where the ECU basically cuts the power to prevent damage to the engine.

After many years of complaining and pointless troubleshooting by Land Rover, one of the guys in Durban fitted an aftermarket intercooler and his problem was solved. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #180287 30th Oct 2012 10:34am
Gabriel Boff

Thanks a lot guys!!!

I´ll verify if thats something blocking the airflow thru the radiators!

jst: Sorry but i don´t understand what do ou meant with: "its not underboosting is it?"

This problem could be something wrong with EGR or some other sensor or valve? That could be obstructed by carbon resulted of a few years drinking high sulfur diesels? (just now we have in Brazil low sulfur diesel...)

best regards!
Post #180302 30th Oct 2012 11:32am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It sounds like tipical heat soak from the car getting worked hard on hot days. It may be worth fitting a performance intercooler and possibily a small electric manually switched fan in front of it to help keep yhe work temps down.

Pete
Post #180322 30th Oct 2012 12:16pm
Gabriel Boff

Pete!

This "tipical heat soak" is something that damage the engine, or the ECU prevent this damage cutting power before the overheat occur??

The car have A/C, and already have eletric fan, do you sugest to put a switch to turn the fan on when I desire?

Wich intercooler do you recomends? Don´t I´ll have problems incresing power in an 80k km puma Defender???

Thanks a lot!
Post #180328 30th Oct 2012 12:24pm
bell-auto-services

The ecu program is designed to watch coolant temp and head temp of which it will reduce power if it beleives one is getting hot. Its part of the safety stratgie it ha amongst others.

you could put a switch on the ac fan relay to manauley switch it on.

Allisport intercoolers have the option of a fine core setup which greatly improves coolong over the standard core design.

Pete
Post #180338 30th Oct 2012 12:54pm
Gabriel Boff

Thanks Pete!

I´ll try the manual fan...

There is some bulletin of Solihull about this issue?

Regards!
Post #180348 30th Oct 2012 1:24pm
bell-auto-services

Ive not sern any info from landtover, i made tests to a simlar car an found simlar results.

Re the fan. Use this as an extra. Dont remove the factory visous fan.

Pete
Post #180377 30th Oct 2012 3:13pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Gabriel

I had the same issue when towing a trailer in the Patagonia againts the wind in a hot day. Also occurs randomly when the car is full of people/luggage in hot days Crying or Very sad .

So, is not a unknow issue. Evil or Very Mad
Probably our friends of JLR are aware but due the fact that the temps in UK are not so severe, the number of claims are still not growing up to take some action.

The option that Pete offers looks like the end of the problem but I dont like to assume the cost of a JLR fault Evil or Very Mad

Cheers Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #180383 30th Oct 2012 3:43pm
BruceT

South Africa 
Pete knows far more than I do but I would replace the intercooler first and if that didn't work I would start looking at adding fans.
Post #180386 30th Oct 2012 4:21pm
Gabriel Boff

Perfect people!

Thanks for all replies!!

I´ll never took out the viscous fan! She is the main fan and who really do the job when the situation go hot!!! 5 seconds couppled in 2000 rpm freeze out everything!!!

I´d already have an original electric extra fan fitted for the air conditioning, maybe will put a switch to manually turn it on when I decide.

And will find a better intercooler!!!

My big worry was if this issue could be damaging my engine, but know I have certain of what I thought, that is an ECU warning to prevent the damage!!!

Thanks to all!!!
Post #180396 30th Oct 2012 5:34pm
pope10001

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Zermatt Silver
I also have a 2009 Defender 90. I live in Dubai and during the summer the temps reach 55C. I have a scangauge 2 fitted so that i can monitor the temp carefully.

Interestingly enough the temp gauge never moves above half way, but the SG2 monitors the temp rising up to 110C, once it hits 104C the aircon cuts out, at 110C the engine cuts as you describe above. Once the temp reaches 103C again the power comes back in as normal, this normally happens within 10 seconds.

I have a tune and an intercooler on my 90 this has made no difference to the amount of times i have this problem happen. However as you mentioned this problem always only occurs when the engine is working very hard. As Pete said i believe that it is a self preservation method to stop any damage to the engine .

HTH.

Regards,

Mark
Post #180440 30th Oct 2012 6:55pm
BruceT

South Africa 
That's a great system to have but I suppose first prize is to avoid getting to those temps in the first place.
Post #180446 30th Oct 2012 7:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>