↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My 1996 defender project
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Thats what I thought when it went the first time, but it failed Evil or Very Mad Mind you, it was nothing serious, the side steps (which I spent many an hour polishing to a mirror finish) prooved too slippery for the MOT tester, who decided to slip off it when getting in to it. Laughing Serves him right Rolling with laughter An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #178408 23rd Oct 2012 8:21pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Some nice work here Stoney.
Post #178426 23rd Oct 2012 8:43pm
Stoney

1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Epsom Green
Didn't get much done this weekend due to rain and a couple of other things on.
Been applying capt. Trolleys creeping crack cure to the external gutter to try and stop the leak on my leg also found on the rear offside conner where the filler had cracked off so filled that with plumbers gold should look ok once I clean it up and think its done the job but time will tell. And the creeping crack stuff is perfect for the smaller cracks

Click image to enlarge

You can see its blue but seeps in then dries clear.
I also got a alarm imobiliser central locking kit a while ago is was cheap but have seen good reviews so fingers crossed. Made a plate with captive nuts taced to the back and it will have a plate in front on the threaded bar you can see. It will be behind my middle seat and can't be accessed Without removal of the seat as a security feature for what it's worth.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And just some photos I found while uploading a green lane from a couple of weeks ago. And my old mans mates boat that needed towing into Portsmouth as the brake pipe on the Cherokee jeep they where using blew so they needed a real tow vehicle ! Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #179850 28th Oct 2012 8:13pm
DarrenJ

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Excellent post Thumbs Up Darren
Post #179923 28th Oct 2012 10:30pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Great start to your thread Jack, keep it coming Thumbs Up 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #180242 29th Oct 2012 11:53pm
Stoney

Slowing starting to put the interior back in now, only really get the weekends due to it being dark after work.
Put the load matt back in today which I did some repairs to, it had split/ perished in some of the ribs. Just glued some old strips of inner tube to the back with armerflex glue and Put in some stitches using some cable lasing stuff I acquired from work Thumbs Up but forgot to take pictures.
Then glued the rubber sheet I brought onto the bulkhead and really chuffed how well it worked.

Click image to enlarge

Matt needs abit of a scrub maybe some back to black or something. I cut the sheet so it has tabs that fold onto the floor and seat boxes so that all the dirt random screws etc can't get stuck in the gap.
Then fitted a rear door seal as it never had one. Did they come with them at this age or is a td5 and newer type thing?
And spray the threshold bit with some truck bed anti slip paint which doesn't scratch to easy, i have some on the bumper thread plates and has lasted well

Click image to enlarge

Thinking abut spraying the checker plate on the rear door with it as well? As I think it looks abit tacky sliver any opinions ?

Also does any one know what the two blank insert plate things are for that are in the bottom of the rear bulk head. Don't need to know just wondering Very Happy
Thanks for all the great comments il keep you all updated with the progress
I forgot to mention before one of the biggest jobs I did which was the gearbox fitted a Ashcroft box and transfer with the disco ratio, so glad I went for the disco ratio as it makes such a difference when crushing on motorway il get some picture up of the change when I find them

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #181740 3rd Nov 2012 7:31pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
thats a good idea with the anti slip paint plus looks great Thumbs Up CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #181743 3rd Nov 2012 7:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stoney

Thanks killer, normally not into the lowerd land rover thing but you have defiantly pulled it off, reminds me of a heritage sort of look with the white love it Thumbs Up
Post #181754 3rd Nov 2012 8:11pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
Stoney wrote:
Thanks killer, normally not into the lowerd land rover thing but you have defiantly pulled it off, reminds me of a heritage sort of look with the white love it Thumbs Up

cheers is exactly what im going for mate some more old school bits to add aswell, Thumbs Up CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #181784 3rd Nov 2012 9:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stoney

Made some progress today but didn't get any pictures sorry guys Bow down
Got all the wiring in for alarm and central locking, central locking works a treat haven't don't the rear door let but got the wires there ready going to take a bit of videoing to get it to look standard.
And the alarm well does seem to be working I hate wiring Evil or Very Mad but think I can sort that out in the week.

The next big job is going to have to be timing belt.
Post #186217 18th Nov 2012 11:04pm
Stoney

Made some progress yesterday got the alarm system working which includes alarm, central locking, imobiliser, and even remote start ! I probably won't use the remote start as you have to set it the night before as a safety feature but its cool to say I have it Cool bit of cable tidying and it's complete.
Il get some pics up tomorrow as every one prefers pictures !
Post #190394 2nd Dec 2012 9:20pm
Maverick

Scotland 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Stoney wrote:
yer I love it for my first car definitely stands out against the boy racers at college and in my opinion far more fun!

Finally another younger lad with a Defender, and the right engine too! Thumbs Up I remember turning up for my last year of school in the Defender, even had the teachers all over it! Wish I could work properly with metal, would save me so much money! Ben

Rebuilt 1996 black/white Defender 90 300 TDi
Post #190496 3rd Dec 2012 1:16am
GUM97

Maverick wrote:
Stoney wrote:
yer I love it for my first car definitely stands out against the boy racers at college and in my opinion far more fun!

Finally another younger lad with a Defender, and the right engine too! Thumbs Up I remember turning up for my last year of school in the Defender, even had the teachers all over it! Wish I could work properly with metal, would save me so much money!

There are other young lads with Defenders then ! Starting to think I was all alone!
ps: I've got BY FAR the best engine too Very Happy (Not that I'm biased Laughing ) An engine to TDi for!
Post #190596 3rd Dec 2012 5:35pm
Maverick

Scotland 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Thumbs Up Say no to Hatchbacks! Wink Ben

Rebuilt 1996 black/white Defender 90 300 TDi
Post #190606 3rd Dec 2012 6:06pm
GUM97

Maverick wrote:
Thumbs Up Say no to Hatchbacks! Wink

Especially Renault Clios and Vauxhall Corsas with stupid exhausts, overly tinted windows and booming stereos Laughing An engine to TDi for!
Post #190608 3rd Dec 2012 6:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>