↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My 1996 defender project
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
The best mod of all, fitting the VGT turbo Cool there is no point adding up the receipts as it increases all the time Laughing 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #644588 16th Aug 2017 10:35pm
Stoney

1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Epsom Green
NEXT UPDATE !

Firstly is it possible to change the title of my thread ?

So I think the next stage was the chassis, Marshland had a ROW (rest of the world spec) in stock so I went for that.
Its basically a TD5 chassis with 300TDI engine and G box Mounts. So I now have the standard fuel tank and the option to use a TD5 at the rear as well. The A frame brackets are different other than that its basically the same thing.

My dad was working that way so kindly collected it for me!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then it was a case of bolting all the shiny parts I had been collecting and refurbishing.
I went for +1" springs can't remember the make but I am pretty sure they sit higher than 1" as I had to change the fox shocks for +3.5" as the +1.5 ones i had where topped out when I fitted them??

Really happy with the fox shocks they drive great, I have used there stuff on my mountain bikes before and it has always been :thumbs:. My dad also now has a JE suspension kit with the same (not lifted) shocks on his 90 and that can go around a corner much quicker than a Landy should be able to!! and much better at motorway speeds. I have also fitted a set to another friends 90 with the standard springs and it made massive difference.

Then stainless extended brake lines, TD5 callipers and discs on the front, one new swivel was needed, Duraflex bushes all round (the old ones took a lot of beating burning and swearing to get out !)
New bolts on all the trailing arms etc., wide angle adjustable a frame joint job, HD steering arms, galvanised fuel tank mount, galvanised spring seats front and rear and tubular standard height turrets and plastic relocation cones on the rear in a hope they would be quite ish they defiantly aren't it sounds like a gun going off when one pops out !! Rolling with laughter

Once I had it rolling on the new chassis then I brought it home again.

Pictures below, apologies about the quality its a case of working with a head torch and work lamp in the barn but at least its dry !!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hopefully I will get this un to date soon as I have been doing a load more work to the Landy over the last couple of weeks, It is now my only car again so i have been sorting out all the little bits and making it slightly more refined for daily driving. Well as refined as Soft top with a lift and mud terrains can be Rolling with laughter 300 TDI 90 now soft top
Post #649179 9th Sep 2017 7:23pm
L110CDL

England 
Great up date there, many thanks Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #649466 10th Sep 2017 9:55pm
Chris90V8

England 1987 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Portofino Red
Really good update...
👌 🚜. ...... . .... . .. 🚗🚐🚛🚚🚚🚗🚙🚐
Post #649507 11th Sep 2017 6:27am
Stoney

So I have been trying to update for over a week but the internet has been so bad it wouldn't upload the pictures. I will keep it short and try and get some more up.
basically now it was at home my aim was to get it drivable without the body work on it

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Wiring HELL !!!
I took it for a little drive and all seemed ok so onto the body work next 300 TDI 90 now soft top
Post #652922 26th Sep 2017 1:24pm
Stoney

So next i decided to have a go at spraying it myself Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Made a "spray booth" this was big enough to get a couple of pannels in at a time the bonnet had been sprayed a while ago, so i left that

Click image to enlarge

lifted it out to wet sand between coats

Click image to enlarge

testing the floor to fit. didn't really want checker floor but it was so much cheaper than an original and will actually last.
Now it was ALOT more work painting it than i had first thought but i am pretty happy with the result.
After spraying it looked like this

Click image to enlarge

After wet sanding the whole truck and polishing it with a rotary it ended up like this

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

little detail ( paint was before it sanded it)

Click image to enlarge

Doing lots of smaller updates so i can upload successfully 300 TDI 90 now soft top
Post #652929 26th Sep 2017 1:54pm
Stoney

Hoops and Door surrounds on for the last time

Click image to enlarge

Finally water tight wish again with the canvas on

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Pedal Lock

Click image to enlarge

Detachable tow bar

Click image to enlarge

BEER

Click image to enlarge

Breather manifold

Click image to enlarge
 300 TDI 90 now soft top
Post #652932 26th Sep 2017 2:05pm
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Very nice work, might steal that breather manifold position idea for mine Thumbs Up 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #652934 26th Sep 2017 2:17pm
Chris90V8

England 1987 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Portofino Red
Really good progress there Thumbs Up

She's gonna be like "Brand New"

Keep up the good work. 🚜. ...... . .... . .. 🚗🚐🚛🚚🚚🚗🚙🚐
Post #652951 26th Sep 2017 3:57pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Great job. i really need to get on with my rebuilds. love the spray booth. it is the one thing i have always wanted to have a go at... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #652961 26th Sep 2017 4:16pm
L110CDL

England 
I know what you mean with the dodgy internet at the moment Rolling Eyes many thanks for the update, really appreciated Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #653271 27th Sep 2017 10:19pm
Stoney

Still having troubles uploading pictures but it seems if it keep below 10 per upload it copes.Next it was time to get ready for MOT lots of little jobs i haven't really got any interesting pictures off.
In for MOT passed with one advisory of slight play in one wheel bearing would have been nice to get it straight through but oh well

Click image to enlarge

Some pictures after it passed

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Got into the Players show Paddock 1 week after the MOT

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Finally the new tyres arrived !

Click image to enlarge

Pictures of it out and about, its mainly stayed how it was since the MOT you can see i have moved the spare wheel into the back to allow me to hang the bikes on the tail gate, got a bikini top for the 1 day of english summer we get just had general maintenance etc.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then at the end of July I finished my full time job where I have been from an apprentice and I don't start my new job until November. I sold my Audi which I was using for computing and the Landy has become my daily drive again. so I have done some work on it which I ether didn't have time or couldn't afford before. Will update this in another post 300 TDI 90 now soft top
Post #655062 5th Oct 2017 9:20am
Stoney

The one part I have hated since converting to a soft top is the door surrounds, the quality is truly shocking, they fit rubbish they leak, and they rattle and move. And i have never seen an alternative solution, I believe the NAS style is different but apparently also leak where they meat the door. So after lots of ideas this was my solution. I might Do anther thread for the modifications to the soft if any one is interested?
It amazes me that Exmoor or similar haven't done any of this, while their products are very nice and good quality there are some small changes that make them much more user friendly in my opinion

This is the standard option, made from two parts, the B pillar tends to move a bit and you can't murder the bolts up as they only have a square key in the sheet to hold them. The gutter also doesn't proturde enough to stop rain pouring straight into the top of the door, i also just don't think they look very nice

Click image to enlarge

I can't find the picture at the moment but when I first fitted the soft top a friend machined a spacer for the top tab about 20mm think to get get the seal somewhere nearer the door.

I then went about making it out of one piece with a wider gutter and strong enough to take a roof bar if needed.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I have also added some webbed strap bridges to the header rail. you're supposed to just hook the 3 froward straps onto the header rail but they allways pop off as there isn't enough of a lip to hook onto, I have added these for the two rear straps onto the tub as well

Click image to enlarge

I am really happy how these came out and work much better no more puddles in the footwells, quieter and look better! it has now all been powder coated will uploaded again shortly 300 TDI 90 now soft top
Post #655064 5th Oct 2017 9:45am
Procta

United Kingdom 
looking neat! Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #655204 5th Oct 2017 9:27pm
okennedy

Ireland 
Great job and lovely lovely machine! Thumbs Up
Post #655357 6th Oct 2017 2:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>