↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My 1996 defender project
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Stoney

1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Epsom Green
My 1996 defender project
I have been meaning to start a online topic for ages and after being encouraged by RRUK Very Happy I have finally got round to it.
My defender is my first car and I have done quite abit to it since I brought it as a standard county and tastefully well at least I hope so ! I have some pictures as every one loves pictures ...

Click image to enlarge

This this is the closest picture I can find to how I brought it apart from the tyres it came with small grabbers, steering guard, blind spot windows and spot lights. I also fitted a spare wheel carrier after my rear door gave up and rear window broke !
My main project has been the front bumper I did a engineering b tec at college and we had to make a project so I thought what better than a custom bumper,

Click image to enlarge

This was in the mock up stages checking all fitted and you can see the tree sliders I fitted after ripping the steps off in a deep rut Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

This was the final outcome some things I'd change if I did it again but I guess that's always the case.

Click image to enlarge

I had to present the project so made a ramp to show it off bit, it was abit bodged out of two car ramps but it was strong and safe.

Click image to enlarge
this is it on the presentation day. After I spent all weekend cleaning it but must have paid off as I got a distinction and a apprenticeship from it.
While at college I made the most of the resources and materials! And made some other bits and bobs:

Click image to enlarge

I made this aluminium box to go under my centre seat and replace the gearbox cover great for hiding sat nabs etc in and I haven't seen any thing similar for sale so was rather chuffed, just pop the seat base out to get to it and its not visible when the seat is in.

Click image to enlarge

Made these to bolt onto my diff guards as a slider type thing not quite finished hear and got abit carried away with the plasma cutter on the standard diff guard.

Click image to enlarge

Last winter I dumped the viscous fan and fitted twin electric ebay jobies and a x eng thermostat made aluminium frame to support them. It made a massive difference to heat up time would deffently recommend.

Click image to enlarge

Crossmember had just about had it so off that came with help from a grinder and hammer Very Happy and a 6mm thick replacement from black sheep off road was fitted and is designed so mud etc can't get trapped.

Click image to enlarge

This was sprayed with red oxide then matt black and corrosion was touched up below the lights.
While I had it off the road doing the cross member for a couple of days I borrowed a mates spare wheel and used my spare so I could take my wheels to be sprayed. Just did my spare with a can as its under a cover most of the time.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hear it is after its tart up of crossmember and wheels and how it looks ATM apart from I have the number plate stuck on the bonnet.
Some photos to finish off I was given a simbars bike rack with out the mount so I used my old door mount and abit of box to make my own. And the best way I have found for pressure washing the underneath.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

If any one is interested il keep updating as I go currently got the interior stripped out cleaning it up sealing and insulating the roof new matts and some side panels in the back etc.
Thanks for reading
Jack

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #178125 22nd Oct 2012 10:01pm
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
Very, very nicely done. Well done on the apprenticeship Very Happy
Post #178134 22nd Oct 2012 10:11pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up its progressed really well mate you should be proud Thumbs Up top job on the bumper with lights but dont go getting ideas this town aint big enough for the both of us Laughing Laughing Laughing CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #178136 22nd Oct 2012 10:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CFB

United Kingdom 
Nice work, looks good Thumbs Up

Must be great to be able to make your own accessories. Andy
Post #178137 22nd Oct 2012 10:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Nice work,keep us all posted. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #178141 22nd Oct 2012 10:18pm
Stoney

Thanks guys will keep posted on the progress think I have fixed the mystery roof leak but don't want to speak to soon !
Don't worry killer I'm sure there not as good quality as yours had to cover the backs of them with silicone after the first trip through a river Laughing
Post #178145 22nd Oct 2012 10:23pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
It really looks good, will you post some pics of the inside?

it's threads like this that make we want to buy an S3 or early Defender for renovation but time won't allow at the moment Sad . BM52
Post #178156 22nd Oct 2012 10:37pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
Stoney wrote:
Thanks guys will keep posted on the progress think I have fixed the mystery roof leak but don't want to speak to soon !
Don't worry killer I'm sure there not as good quality as yours had to cover the backs of them with silicone after the first trip through a river Laughing

Thumbs Up always best to really land rover + silicone = nearly leak free Laughing CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #178157 22nd Oct 2012 10:39pm
Stoney

Got some pictures of the interior, unfortunently it isn't looking its best at the moment as I have stripped out the sound proofing, head lining, load mats rear seats middle seat etc to give it a good clean up and fix leaks. and they where taken on my phone Rolling Eyes but I will be sure to get some to take some more detailed ones once all is back to norm. Also insulated my roof using a rad haz kit that I cut up far cheaper than buying the foam normally and I have loads left for other places Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I brought some rubber checker plate matt from ebay to cover the rear bulk head but it stinks of rubber even after being left in the rain for a week any one got any tips to "de smell" it ?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #178380 23rd Oct 2012 7:12pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Nice looking Landy mate Very Happy Nice to see somebody else having a Defender as their first car Thumbs Up An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #178382 23rd Oct 2012 7:20pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
the rad haz kits are really useful, i've just insulated my footwells, battery boxes and airtop roof tent Thumbs Up
Post #178388 23rd Oct 2012 7:28pm
Stoney

Cheers gum just looked at your rebuild it looks great in the Stornaway grey how long did it take ? yer I love it for my first car definitely stands out against the boy racers at college and in my opinion far more fun!

Bpman did the seat box make a difference to sound or warmth was planning on using the spare piece to go on top maybe even round the sides over what I believe is the original textured land rover matts style thing.
Post #178390 23rd Oct 2012 7:37pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
you have a PM Thumbs Up
Post #178391 23rd Oct 2012 7:39pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Stoney wrote:
Cheers gum just looked at your rebuild it looks great in the Stornaway grey how long did it take ? yer I love it for my first car definitely stands out against the boy racers at college and in my opinion far more fun!

Well I got it last October, and its still not finished ! Still some wiring to get sorted and then it needs to be MOT'd Very Happy An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #178394 23rd Oct 2012 7:47pm
Stoney

Thanks bpman
Keep up the good work GUM looks like it should fly through the mot Thumbs Up
Post #178397 23rd Oct 2012 7:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>