↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > LR to build next Defender in India
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
LR to build next Defender in India
What more can I say really... time to save up for a galvanised chassis and bulkhead? Shocked

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/261076/
Post #118540 25th Jan 2012 11:03pm
richuk

United Kingdom 
Evil or Very Mad Rich

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat
Post #118545 25th Jan 2012 11:07pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Sickening but no surprise. No more rivets - too expensive - just glue Rolling Eyes Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #118561 25th Jan 2012 11:36pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Quote "If the Pune manufacturing plan is adopted" so not deffo 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #118568 25th Jan 2012 11:50pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I don't see the problem. It's owned by an Indian company, and FFS let's face it, build quality certainly couldn't get any worse could it?
Post #118573 26th Jan 2012 12:26am
Knot Yet

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It's pretty definite from what we've been told by a number of LR dealers along with some credible Head Office bods. The primary purpose is to ensure continue production of the Defender model once the DC100 is introduced.

At one stage it was believed production would cease, but with the LR legal team finding EU work arounds such as all Defnders now classed as Commercial, negating EU safety requirements as imposed on cars, the Defender production can continue. Defender 110 Puma Utility XS
Post #118587 26th Jan 2012 7:03am
ZeDefender

I can see the advertising slogan now: "The all new DC100. Built for kids...by kids"
Rolling Eyes Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #118591 26th Jan 2012 8:04am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
No matter how good they make it, a vehicle made in India and sold in the UK/Europe simply will never have the kudos of a European manufactured car, people will still perceive it as low quality.

As time goes on I feel myself drifting further and further away from Landrover as a company. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #118598 26th Jan 2012 8:27am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

Probably lower than Korea.

Plus a lot of people still see the Defender as essentially "British" (they don't know about the gearbox - I didn't).
I suspect the advent of "All-Indian" Land Rovers may make everyday news.

I can see the headline: "Tata to British cars"

God, I really am full of it today Laughing (okay - every day Rolling Eyes )

Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #118599 26th Jan 2012 8:54am
Knot Yet

ZeDefender wrote:
"Tata to British cars"

Rolling with laughter very funny Defender 110 Puma Utility XS
Post #118600 26th Jan 2012 9:00am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
22900013A wrote:
No matter how good they make it, a vehicle made in India and sold in the UK/Europe simply will never have the kudos of a European manufactured car, people will still perceive it as low quality.

As time goes on I feel myself drifting further and further away from Landrover as a company.

I don't agree. This is just xenophobia. Brands like Kitchenaid, Kenwood, many high end watch brands are made not in the country of origin but in china, korea, taiwan etc.They retain the brand image with no trouble at all. This is just a bunch of jingoistic, luddite whingers and is laughable when you see some of the panel gaps and problems with defenders made in the UK. I'm betting that the QC employed by Tata will be far, far superior to the tea drinking lazy sods who throw the panels on here. Some people just refuse to move foward. Don't like the DC100, don't like a move to India etc. The only thing which would seem to satisy some people is a vehicle made in the garden of england by Joanna Lumley and her family handed over by the bloody Queen. Times move on people, move with them.
Post #118610 26th Jan 2012 9:53am
ZeDefender

You're probably right but feelings don't always follow logic Rolling Eyes

I have lived in Germany for 18 years now and I'm constantly hearing Brit colleagues ranting on about how Censored Britain is and how the best thing they ever did was leave that Censored Censored hole. I'm keeping my views to myself on that one but I would still like to believe the country isn't just becoming a dearth of call-centres, criminals and cider-vomiting chavs. I really should watch less TV Shocked

British farming and British manufacturing industry were hugely important in my upbringing and every time I see news like this, a little part of me dies inside. I bought my Defender because of all these things - my wife actually agreed for the same reasons. I suppose we thought we could "do our part" for Britain - bloody fools we were.

I'm still very proud to be British but however much I like curry, it just doesn't seem right to give up another thing to "the foreigners" Crying or Very sad

Thank God I love driving my British Defender, however badly it's made.

p.s. I know that sounds ridiculous. Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #118613 26th Jan 2012 10:12am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
The version I'd heard on the grapevine was not that the "new" defender production was moving to India but that they were moving production of the CURRENT Defender to India when the "New" Defender starts production here.

The Defender as it is now is too expensive and time consuming to make in the UK because UK labour costs are way too high. It's also tied into a very limited development by ever tightening EU and UK red tape that essentially mean the only reason they can keep producing it in it's current form is because they are still using the type approval they got for it in the 80s.

In order to continue to produce the current Defender for markets that wouldn't consider the DC100 as viable for their use (military, third world, people who drive off road etc...) the production is moving to India where labour costs are a LOT cheaper and regulation isn't as restrictive. I assume there will be limited quantities of the "old" Defender then shipped back to the UK in kit form to satisfy the, perceived, niche market here that won't buy the DC100.
Post #118617 26th Jan 2012 10:41am
Knot Yet

Spot on Dave exactly as we were told but better explained by you Thumbs Up Defender 110 Puma Utility XS
Post #118618 26th Jan 2012 10:45am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
ZeDefender wrote:
I have lived in Germany for 18 years now and I'm constantly hearing Brit colleagues ranting on about how Censored Britain is and how the best thing they ever did was leave that Censored Censored hole. I'm keeping my views to myself on that one but I would still like to believe the country isn't just becoming a dearth of call-centres, criminals and cider-vomiting chavs. I really should watch less TV Shocked

That's a perfectly normal "ex-pat" thing and has always been the case. In it's worst incarnation you get groups of "Brits" living in a "foreign" country who come together once a week for a "British" social so they can bitch about "how crap the UK is and how glad we are we left when we did". I think it's a form of self affirmation and has existed for centuries. This is usually followed by a discussion of how great the "foreign" country is although "have you found anywhere that can supply proper bacon/baked beans/brown sauce etc... ?".
Post #118619 26th Jan 2012 10:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>