↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > LR to build next Defender in India
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Nail on the head there Zag.

It does seem as if Landrover have begrudgingly accepted that they have got the DC100 wrong on several levels. Quite how radical the redesign will be remains to be seen obviously, but I hope it goes a long way. Trouble is that only Landrover and a few nay-sayers think there is much wrong with a Defender. We all know that the current design just needs tweaking a bit - make it a little wider, have a bit more legroom, put a decent engine option in, some more gearbox options including an auto...thats all folks would want really. I have given up trying to work out what the DC100 is supposed to be, I think the designers must have been smoking something funny when the drew it up.
Post #124382 16th Feb 2012 9:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mikelike

So true guys !

The first thing Land Rover needs to do, is be honest about there market ambitions ???? If the DC100 is to be a true Defender replacement , it will need to be a commercial utility tool , designed for the modern world . I personally see little demand globally for a 2litre three door vehicle , Suzuki does these !! Now a very capable off road cab+ , double cab and five door wagon has potential globally , as can be seen by all the success of the Japanese vehicles , but honestly these Rangers,Hi Luxs,Navaras etc are compromised by there on road focus and lack the breath of capability of the current defender. I think we should be firstly seeing 130 type concepts and the leisure jeep/90 concept to follow this !!! The current DC100 will appeal to very few in our Australasian markets ,where the 90 was with drawn due to dismal sales , although I believe they may be available in limited numbers again. Here a Defender means Station wagon , 130 or cab chassis !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post #124680 17th Feb 2012 11:13am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
My tuppence worth:

Land Rovers have been built in foreign climes for over 50 years already, and were sent out in CKD kits (complete knock down). The build quality of the end product was often better than a factory unit. Look at the Santana units too, very well made, so it's not all doom and gloom.

If a Defender was made SO well that there was nothing left to fix or tweak, where would the fun be in that? Laughing

It would be a lovely sentiment to say that if we all buy British everything we are supporting British workers etc, but we wouldn't be. We'd be supporting all of the foreigners that come here to work because our own workers would rather sit at home and sponge benefits than have a paying job.

Why do you think the Polish are admired by employers here, they work bloody hard and get on with it, more than can be said for the lazy toe-rags pushing their multiple babies around town centres in the middle of the day smoking packs of fags and going to the pub and the pokies. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #124695 17th Feb 2012 11:48am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
RRUK wrote:
My tuppence worth:

Land Rovers have been built in foreign climes for over 50 years already, and were sent out in CKD kits (complete knock down). The build quality of the end product was often better than a factory unit. Look at the Santana units too, very well made, so it's not all doom and gloom.

If a Defender was made SO well that there was nothing left to fix or tweak, where would the fun be in that? Laughing

It would be a lovely sentiment to say that if we all buy British everything we are supporting British workers etc, but we wouldn't be. We'd be supporting all of the foreigners that come here to work because our own workers would rather sit at home and sponge benefits than have a paying job.

Why do you think the Polish are admired by employers here, they work bloody hard and get on with it, more than can be said for the lazy toe-rags pushing their multiple babies around town centres in the middle of the day smoking packs of fags and going to the pub and the pokies.

Erm, not meaning to cause offence but do you seriously think british people WANT to sit at home on benefits? I don't think so...

And I know for a fact that Polish workers are in demand because they are CHEAP and will work for significantly less than a british worker - who will probably have a mortgage etc to pay off. Wages need to go up, not down, profits need to come down the tree, not up it. Companies employ Poles/Eastern Europeans/immigrants because it means more profits for the company. The Eastern Europeans will in general sign any contact put in front of them, will work and not complain because they figure they can just walk out and into something else if they don't like it. I have worked with some Polish guys who came here for a better life (ie to live here forever) and even they are fed up with their own countrymen undercutting them. The haulage industry is rife with them, but guess who have the most accidents/get lost/damage loads etc...its not the British lorry drivers!

And Santanas were cack, sorry, early ones that were very much Landrovesr assembled in Spain were okay, but as the design drifted they got worse in some areas, weak door hinges for one thing, and styling work by stevie wonder was another. They were never common in any event. The 3.5 litre six cylinder engines were a great idea though.
Post #124957 18th Feb 2012 2:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
RRUK wrote:
My tuppence worth:

Why do you think the Polish are admired by employers here, they work bloody hard and get on with it, more than can be said for the lazy toe-rags pushing their multiple babies around town centres in the middle of the day smoking packs of fags and going to the pub and the pokies.

Yeah, and bring back conscription, hanging, burning of witches blah, blah, blah Rolling Eyes Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #124981 18th Feb 2012 5:07pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Erm, not meaning to cause offence but do you seriously think british people WANT to sit at home on benefits? I don't think so...

And I know for a fact that Polish workers are in demand because they are CHEAP and will work for significantly less than a british worker - who will probably have a mortgage etc to pay off. Wages need to go up, not down, profits need to come down the tree, not up it. Companies employ Poles/Eastern Europeans/immigrants because it means more profits for the company. The Eastern Europeans will in general sign any contact put in front of them, will work and not complain because they figure they can just walk out and into something else if they don't like it. I have worked with some Polish guys who came here for a better life (ie to live here forever) and even they are fed up with their own countrymen undercutting them. The haulage industry is rife with them, but guess who have the most accidents/get lost/damage loads etc...its not the British lorry drivers!

And Santanas were cack, sorry, early ones that were very much Landrovesr assembled in Spain were okay, but as the design drifted they got worse in some areas, weak door hinges for one thing, and styling work by stevie wonder was another. They were never common in any event. The 3.5 litre six cylinder engines were a great idea though.[/quote]

Couldn't have said better myself. The problem is for a lot of people is that many many people want to better themselves work and have a better life but as you say wages and finances CONSISTENTLY prevent this. It's hardly fair that for examply someone of 60 years of age that has worked all their lives to be told carry on working (For very little reward) When some 'perfect' city type banker on say 35 - 45 can have 3 5 or more times the wages of some one that has worked really twice as hard and for twice as long. Last but not least anyone can end up on benefits it only takes a redundancy to do it especially if your type of work is unique or rare to come by.
Post #124987 18th Feb 2012 6:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345