↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > LR to build next Defender in India
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
22900013A wrote:
people have no choice but to buy what they can afford, and for many, thats not a lot.

... and so it spirals ever downward Sad

It may be 50p cheaper but multiply that by a few million people...

You know that program "Honey, I'm killing the kids"?
Why don't they do "Honey, I'm killing the country" and explain to people what will happen if they keep buying 3 Korean Mobiles every year?

p.s. I'm still thinking about Indian Land Rovers, so I'm not entirely Off Topic Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #118714 26th Jan 2012 7:03pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
22900013A wrote:

Errr, you may well have a point, it may well be a bit xenophobic, but it will still happen. Where are the Indian manufactured cars on todays roads in the UK? Have we ever seen an Indian manufactured car here? The only one I can think of is the Cityrover and we know what happened to the Rover company shortly afterwards. People do not see white goods in the same way as cars, they just aren't the same thing. I'd strongly suggest having a look at what people have to drive in India before saying the Defender will be any better made over there. They drive lorries with wooden cabs still!

I do agree though that JLR has work to do when it comes to QC, look at that JD Power survey thingy...

Oh come on! Toyota, Nissan, Honda - all have Indian Joint ventures. Wake up and smell the new world economy.

I am all for buying British, my current bike is a Triumph for example (oh yes, parts sourced from Japan, assembled in Thailand, finished in Leicester). I shop at our farm shop, avoid all supermarkets apart from Booths who sell local produce, and I don't buy clothes made in the far east. But that's a personal choice to support a local economy, it's irrelevant to me where a defender is made and it's my choice not to buy one. I can however guarantee that despite all the whining and moaning about the DC100, that it will be a bestseller. Don't be a luddite!
Post #118719 26th Jan 2012 7:21pm
ZeDefender

Oh how I love this forum Laughing

Just taking the chicken out of the tandoor - does that make me a traitor?
Embarassed Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #118721 26th Jan 2012 7:24pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
BigMike wrote:
I don't see the problem. It's owned by an Indian company, and FFS let's face it, build quality certainly couldn't get any worse could it?

exactly what i was thinking!
Post #118742 26th Jan 2012 8:55pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
BigMike wrote:
22900013A wrote:

Errr, you may well have a point, it may well be a bit xenophobic, but it will still happen. Where are the Indian manufactured cars on todays roads in the UK? Have we ever seen an Indian manufactured car here? The only one I can think of is the Cityrover and we know what happened to the Rover company shortly afterwards. People do not see white goods in the same way as cars, they just aren't the same thing. I'd strongly suggest having a look at what people have to drive in India before saying the Defender will be any better made over there. They drive lorries with wooden cabs still!

I do agree though that JLR has work to do when it comes to QC, look at that JD Power survey thingy...

Oh come on! Toyota, Nissan, Honda - all have Indian Joint ventures. Wake up and smell the new world economy.

I am all for buying British, my current bike is a Triumph for example (oh yes, parts sourced from Japan, assembled in Thailand, finished in Leicester). I shop at our farm shop, avoid all supermarkets apart from Booths who sell local produce, and I don't buy clothes made in the far east. But that's a personal choice to support a local economy, it's irrelevant to me where a defender is made and it's my choice not to buy one. I can however guarantee that despite all the whining and moaning about the DC100, that it will be a bestseller. Don't be a luddite!

I couldn't care less if the DC100 sells or not...and I do not support the "global economy" as it currently stands.
Yes there are plenty of firms with JVs in India, TATA themselves have a long standing link with Mercedes, but the vehicles built there could not be sold here. Trucks with wooden cabs as I said earlier...yeah, I can see everyone here buying those. Oh hang on, we won't have a haulage industry left in a years time anyway...
I fail to see why we assume an Indian built Defender would be somehow better than one built in the UK? Probably no worse...but better??? In any case, by the time it all happens we will not be allowed to import them here so its kind of irrelevant where they are being made. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #118755 26th Jan 2012 9:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
22900013A

ZeDefender wrote:
22900013A wrote:
people have no choice but to buy what they can afford, and for many, thats not a lot.

... and so it spirals ever downward Sad

It may be 50p cheaper but multiply that by a few million people...

You know that program "Honey, I'm killing the kids"?
Why don't they do "Honey, I'm killing the country" and explain to people what will happen if they keep buying 3 Korean Mobiles every year?

p.s. I'm still thinking about Indian Land Rovers, so I'm not entirely Off Topic

Yeah...I can't afford to buy diesel at the moment, nevermind go to a farmers market. I have to walk to Morrisons! 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #118757 26th Jan 2012 9:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

I like Morrisons Thumbs Up
Doesn't Richard Hammond shop there? Can't get more British than that Smile Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #118770 26th Jan 2012 9:33pm
22900013A

ZeDefender wrote:
Doesn't Richard Hammond shop there? Can't get more British than that Smile

Yeah they are good. They bake their own bread, only 55p at the mo. Half the price of warburtons. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #118789 26th Jan 2012 10:03pm
ZeDefender

22900013A wrote:
ZeDefender wrote:
Doesn't Richard Hammond shop there? Can't get more British than that Smile

Yeah they are good. They bake their own bread, only 55p at the mo. Half the price of warburtons.

Mmmmm - "proper" white bread Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #118794 26th Jan 2012 10:14pm
pom

I think its a smart move by tata.

The indians I know have a good work ethic and cook some decent grub.
It means the build cost will be a hell of a lot less than the UK so will be cheaper car. I read they are building kits to send to the UK which are then final assembled and QC'd pretty much as they do now.

Not a big drama at all.

Pom
Post #118797 26th Jan 2012 10:21pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
davew wrote:
The version I'd heard on the grapevine was not that the "new" defender production was moving to India but that they were moving production of the CURRENT Defender to India when the "New" Defender starts production here.

The Defender as it is now is too expensive and time consuming to make in the UK because UK labour costs are way too high. It's also tied into a very limited development by ever tightening EU and UK red tape that essentially mean the only reason they can keep producing it in it's current form is because they are still using the type approval they got for it in the 80s.

In order to continue to produce the current Defender for markets that wouldn't consider the DC100 as viable for their use (military, third world, people who drive off road etc...) the production is moving to India where labour costs are a LOT cheaper and regulation isn't as restrictive. I assume there will be limited quantities of the "old" Defender then shipped back to the UK in kit form to satisfy the, perceived, niche market here that won't buy the DC100.

Perhaps the UK will get CKD kits to assemble, & add bits to satisfy various UK authorities & customers. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #118814 26th Jan 2012 11:22pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
A number of cars are built in plants in India, including Mercs, Suzuki etc.

The way it works is that import duty is very high for foreign cars brought in to be sold in India - the way round this is to have a manufacturing plant to get round it.

We have our own offices and staff out there (IT and Telecoms) and I'm out there two or three times a year - I've been in a number of Indian built cars and have to say they seem pretty well built and trouble free (they have to be to survive the roads out there) John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #118825 27th Jan 2012 12:13am
ZeDefender

JSG wrote:
I'm out there two or three times a year

Well, I suppose if Brits have jobs in India it's not so bad for society Laughing Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #118835 27th Jan 2012 7:18am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
22900013A wrote:
Their pay is probably so low they can't afford to buy a new car anyway, so they buy a cheap car which will be foreign. Many people have no choice but to buy what they can afford, and for many, thats not a lot.

I have to question this one as UK is going in the same way as many other 3rd world countries... All these people who drive 'cheaper' cars becaue they can't afford anything else also own:

50" Flatscreen TV in the living room, 22" TV in the dinning area, and a 28" TV in the bedroom.
Iphone 4... but only because it was free.... oh, wait a minute, the contract is 24 months at £50!!
Playstation, Xbox 360 and a Wii.
Sky tv (top package).
DVD, Bu-ray player with surround sound.
Smoke 20 cigretes a day.
£1000 laptop with a broadband internet connection.

Apparently standard of living is the the UK is at an all time low, and people can'tafford heating and food What a load of BCensored. I was going down the route of materialistic goods- like having a new phone every 6-12 months, big tv etc. But after having 6 months of no TV, no mobile phone etc,I suddenly realised that all those things just drain money. I no longer own a TV, DVD, games console etc. My mobile phone is 3 years old on Pay as you go. All I have is a laptop and a Ipod. When we get bored we go somewhere, do something- Heck, I could have a pint every night of the week for a couple of years for the same price as most people pay for their TV!!!

I also think it is a wise move by Land Rover- if anything the vehicle will be made in India, shipped to Solihull and then some overpaid Brummie will say " Adjustall those pannels, they line up and there are no huge gaps!!". I can't remember who said to me many years ago (when I was a boy). Land Rover are designed and developed to be the best vehicle in the world........ then they made the mistake of getting a lazy bunch of underachivers to put it together, lol.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #118837 27th Jan 2012 7:35am
ARMYBOB

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
glyn i know you dont have a tv cos i own it Very Happy

i know your phone is crap cos i can never get you on it Very Happy

and i know you just Censored off when you get bored because your time in cyprus has been one big holiday! Very Happy

apart from that i agree with you 100% Thumbs Up
Post #119604 29th Jan 2012 8:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>