↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > call me mad - but thought this might appeal to someone
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
call me mad - but thought this might appeal to someone
myself plus 3 others (2 are flying) are supposed to be heading off to Spain 14th July.
the 'plan' is to drive to France / Spanish border.
the 4 of us cycle across Spain (following the Camino de Santiago)....... anyone fancy joining us / following us in my van Mr. Green

Was thinking this might appeal someone retired and got time on their hands......perhaps its just me and no one will be interested in taking up the challenge for a week. Sheep

and yes its a little last minute. my other nick name is '11th hour dot com'.
Post #998652 4th Jul 2023 10:42pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Caterham

I would have volunteered to be driver if I wasn't working sounds like fun, and having seen your van I would have enjoyed the drive. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #998665 5th Jul 2023 6:34am
Caterham

Thumbs Up thanks mate

You should put work off - you can do that anytime. Very Happy

You and the Mrs should come along Thumbs Up
Post #998671 5th Jul 2023 8:02am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
That sounds awesome.

I did my first ever bike packing trip in May, three days from home that included parts of the King Alfred Way, South Downs Way and the Downslink back home. Three days in total.

And if you ever thought loading a Defender for a holiday is sometimes a struggle, this was like a mad game of Tetris Rolling with laughter

I got bored of waiting for my mid life crisis Whistle

Click image to enlarge
Post #998680 5th Jul 2023 9:29am
Caterham

Awesome. What did you do for accommodation ?
And what sort of distances were covered?
Post #998713 5th Jul 2023 1:54pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Nice set up Thumbs Up I'm planning on doing the KA Way this summer.

As for the trip to Spain. I'm sorely tempted but I have some key meetings the following week that would be a nightmare to rearrange. Big Cry Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #998720 5th Jul 2023 2:39pm
Caterham

/\ you Big Cry

Me Big Cry Big Cry

Mr. Green Thumbs Up
Post #998721 5th Jul 2023 2:41pm
markb110

Caterham wrote:
Awesome. What did you do for accommodation ?
And what sort of distances were covered?

Hi Caterham

I have a MSR Elixir 1 (one man tent but tons of room inside when set up)

Click image to enlarge

I also have a Sea to Summit ultra light sleeping mat and a two season sleeping bag. Tip, dont use the compression sack for the sleeping bag because it becomes a weird cube shape that wont fit into the saddle bag so i used a 6l ultra light dry bag.

So the first night i stayed in a campsite (read field with a porta loo and outside sink) near Cocking on the South Downs Way. This was £10 for the night, the nearby Cadence Cafe has a campsite but that was £34 for the night and for one night not worth the money.

The second campsite was just off the Downs Link near Rudgewick before crossing the 281. £15 for the night and working showers, then an easy 15 miles home on the last day.

Total mileage was 101 miles, which is nothing on a road bike but the route from Runfold to South Hartingon can be brutal in places and once on the South Downs way its a real mix of terrain including some descents where i had to walk the bike down as it was too rough on a fully loaded gravel bike. As well as the fact i couldn't brake with my hands on the drops (for max leverage) as the bar bag filled the space and i couldn't get get get my hands in so i rode with my hands on the hoods.

I was on my own so a ten minute walk was more prudent that an accident as no one will be coming for me in a hurry.

Don't be fooled by You Tubers riding the South Downs Way and having a jolly good time, they don't show the sections of walking up and down. Due to all the walking i wore my Specialized clipless 2FO shoes and not my MTB / Gravel shoes.

The scenery is stunning though, off the scale as well as the feeling of having the place to yourself. And the people you meet, whether walking or riding are super cool and its nice stop and chat as well as taking pictures. I could have done it in two days but i just didn't want to rush, it was just nice to enjoy the experience as i had never done it before.

In terms of food, i wont leave my bike unattended) i took four Wayfarers meals, 2 evening meals and two breakfasts. I took these because they can be eaten hot as well as cold, but i did take my Jetboil MiniMo. This version has a regulator as the meals need to boil for ten minutes so you don't want a fast 1 minute boil. I also took a number of Trek bars (Sainsburys) and mixed salted nuts as salt helps with water retention.

In terms of water i took three battles with SIS tabs in them (plus spare tabs). Once on the SDW there are water tapes available and there is a good website to show where these are. I also topped up at the campsites and cafe's. This was also the reason i rode in an anti clockwise route from home as all the water is where i needed it to be.

I also bought food from the first campsite as it had a farm shop, a second Candence Cafe (SDW) and The Cabin on the Downslink.

I struggle with eating when it hot so i eat easy during the ride, cake, sausage roll, coffee then i buy a couple of can of full fat coke and pour it into on of my water bottles to go warm and flat. it helps to settle my stomach and its a different taste which is something that you begin to appreciate more on longer rides.

In short, eating crap helps to get the calories in and this is what you need, both physically and mentally.

Following the ride i swapped the 40cm bars to a 42 to give a little more space and to help moving the bike when fully loaded, its a completely different bike, much more top heavy.

The King Alfred Way is on the bucket list as well, hopefully August though that will mean wild camping. You could stay at the Premier Inn in Winchester as they have a good cycling policy BUT the price for a room for one night now......that is taking the Censored .

Cycling UK do a really good guide book that you could just download or print out the more important pages if you didn't want to pay £15 for it.

Finally, there is no rush (mostly because you cant) but its surprising how far you can go, how many hours you can ride for and how refreshed you are at the end of the day.....apart from me and my clothes, they stank.....i cant pretty that up. Rolling with laughter
Post #998740 5th Jul 2023 5:38pm
Caterham

/\. fantastic.
some lads I used to cycle with aimed to do that ride in the day....I think they got to within 10 miles. But put bluntly they failed Laughing
but from what you and they said its a great ride - especially if you've got the weather, which you appeared to. Thumbs Up

I absolutely love the Spanish ride....not just because its a big ride but there are hours and hours of fast gravel tracks, loads of hills (about 38,000 ft over the week), passing through numerous city centres, loads of pilgrims from different parts of the world (generally chat during the evening meals), and the strain of 7 consecutive days or riding. last time was in October so we had less daylight hours but managed on MTBs to cover 120 miles on the longest day Mr. Green Thumbs Up
a little taster;

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

if you're interested watch the film 'The Way' with Michael Sheen Thumbs Up

Last edited by Caterham on 5th Jul 2023 6:24pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #998742 5th Jul 2023 5:51pm
markb110

That is cool and thanks for the pictures. Thumbs Up

Gotta love a Lefty - some will get that.

I have a secret desire for a hard tail 29' 12 speed MTB with 100mm fork, change the tyres to a 2.1 fast rolling tread and drop bar it.....

That would be the best SDW bike. Might have to save that one for when they finally beat me out of my TD5.
Post #998745 5th Jul 2023 6:11pm
Caterham

yep - gotta love a lefty. I'm a Cannondale fanatic.
kinda got two headshoks and three leftys. Smile and had a rigid lefty bad boy with hub gears.

forgive me ignorance - what is a SDW bike? (probably obvious but I'm not getting it).

I was all with you until you mentioned drop handle bars Shocked
I've got the hardtail, 29, 2.0 on the other 29er but no drop bars to be seen anywhere Cool

and one more photo from our first morning;

Click image to enlarge
Post #998747 5th Jul 2023 6:23pm
markb110

Hi Caterham

The SDW bike (South Downs Way) is basically a question as to what would be the best all round bike to tackle the SDW.

Basically, like all things in life, the one i don't own. Laughing

My Specialized Kenevo emtb would be great due to the assistance on the numerous up hills (i would love to meet the person who named them the Downs....), and bloody amazing on the rocky descents with 180mm of front and rear travel. BUT, the battery wouldn't last a day let alone three.

My 2014 Norco Sight LE, is light weight, full suspension. BUT, due to the frame design there's a lack of room for bags, bottles and the hydraulic dropper post doesn't play nice with a large seat pack and can't easily be swapped for a standard none dropping seat post.

My 2017 Orbea Terra gravel bike doesn't have any extra mounting points that are a gods send, nor can it fit tyres wider than 40mm. Wider tyres really help when the bike has no suspension and saves the rims from damage.

And the reason for the drop bars on on a 29 mtb, i'm so used to all the extra hand positions its nice to have the choice on long (less technical) rides and on the road and flat sections i find that it easier to get up to speed and stay there when on the drops. Not to mention the 50 tooth rear cog for climbing.

So the bike i don't own but would make a nice project. See the bike pictures from this years Continental Divide bike race.

Thumbs Up
Post #998835 6th Jul 2023 9:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1