↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Heated seat connections on XS seat
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
vulcanfreak

2006 Defender 90 Td5 Silver LE Zambezi Silver
I have a silver edition with half leather seats and they are heated seats but no they are not connected Sad
I quite fancy connecting them via original switches so i will be keeping a close eye on this thread
Kev
Post #95241 20th Oct 2011 6:40pm
airpusher

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Zambezi Silver
vulcanfreak wrote:
I have a silver edition with half leather seats and they are heated seats but no they are not connected Sad
I quite fancy connecting them via original switches so i will be keeping a close eye on this thread
Kev

Well I hope to try this month but if not I'll get it done in December.

I'll let you know what I find & do mate!!!
Post #95265 20th Oct 2011 8:57pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Well, we'll be happy to 'talk' you through it if you need a hand Thumbs Up
Post #95312 21st Oct 2011 8:37am
airpusher

GREENI wrote:
Well, we'll be happy to 'talk' you through it if you need a hand Thumbs Up

Thanks Greeni, I may take you up on that. I've sorted the connections etc so it's just were to connect everything up to.
Post #95363 21st Oct 2011 10:13am
PaulMc

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Arles Blue
Have you looked at these threads, I posted some info in them regarding Heated Seat connectors and switches -

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic7679.html

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=69458

. Paul.
1989 Arles Blue 2.5TD 110 Hardtop
1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'
Post #95855 23rd Oct 2011 11:49pm
airpusher

Hey PaulMc

Cheers for that, I did find one or two of your other post on different forum but somehow I missed the one on here!!!

Very useful as it led me to the fuse panel & the right fuse number to use.

I looked matching the existing connectors but decided that it's just not practical. I found some 20 Amp waterproof connectors but I've decided to first do a proof of concept & just use cheap connectors to ensure it all works & also the seats work. If it works I'll then run the cables properly & pester the works electrican for some connectors...lol

I could do with some help or info on a couple of points if any one is willing.

Ok from the wiring diagram.....

Click image to enlarge

It looks to me like I need to run the wires from the seats to the switches

Then take the live from the switch, through fuse 33 (20 Amp) on the fuse board, the to the relay R211.

Looking at my fuse box

Click image to enlarge

I have the relay already for the electric windows & it's Labeled up with the heated seats too.

Can I add my heated seats to this same relay? or should it be one item per relay?

This would give it power only when the ignition is on, as with the windows.

Specific questions are

1. what wire goes in what pin on the land rover heated seat switches (There in the post)
2. How do I wire into the relay, whats each connection for?
3. The two leads that come out of the back rest, one is long, the other short. Which connects to the seat base, which to the switches?

Thanks for looking Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #95980 24th Oct 2011 4:12pm
PaulMc

The relay provides an ignition controlled live for both the electric windows and heated seats.

The Brown/Grey trace wire from the relay to the fuse box (Pin-11 on C0583) should already be there, as it also supplies the electric windows.

You should take your heated seat switches feed from Pin-12 of C0583 at the fuse box.

There should be a space in position 12 of C0583 for a terminal for the heated seats feed, which is then split to left and right switches.

Can you post up some close-up pictures of C0583 and, preferrably, the terminals.

If they are the same as a TD5 fuse block, I know where to source a compatible terminal.

I don't know which one of the leads connects to the switches and which one to the seat back, another Puma owner will have to check that one for you.

. Paul.
Post #96022 24th Oct 2011 6:37pm
airpusher

Ah I see it now! Thanks PaulMc

Pin 11 is the power feed in for 34-33-35 (like a miniature bus bar) so my power is already sorted. I just need to run a feed from pin 12 to the switches.

Then switches to the seats.

A bit of the woods for the trees moment there!!

I'll have a go at getting the fuse panel of the bulkhead tomorrow so I can see the connections at the back.

It is a 2006 TD5 model.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #96029 24th Oct 2011 7:02pm
PaulMc

airpusher wrote:

I'll have a go at getting the fuse panel of the bulkhead tomorrow so I can see the connections at the back.

It is a 2006 TD5 model.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Ahh..., I thought we were referring to a PUMA Embarassed

In which case, the fuse block is not C0583, it's C0595 (same thing, just a different number on the TD5)

I have a TD5 main harness with fuse box in my shed and I've sourced compatible terminals to add to the unused cavities in the fuse carriers.

Releasing/Adding Terminals

These pictures show the secondary terminal locks, which just push through the terminal block (it makes it easier if you unclip the terminal block from the fuse board first).

I've annotated the pictures with red arrows showing the secondary terminal locks and the direction in which they should be pushed (a small jeweller's screwdriver is ideal), the last picture shows the secondary terminal lock removed -

These pictures show the tangs on the terminals that must be depressed to release the terminal, a couple of jeweller's screwdrivers are ideal, and the holes on the front of the terminal block that you should push the screwdrivers into -

I've sourced a similar compatible Terminal, to suit three different cable sizes -

0.5 � 1.0mm2

1.5 � 2.5mm2

4.0 � 6.0mm2

They're not identical to the terminals in the TD5 fuse box but, they're by the same manufacturer and are very close - they fit into the fuse box with no problems.

The pictures below show a terminal released from the Land Rover fuse box, together with one of my sourced terminals.

The differences are -

1. My sourced terminals are slightly shorter in length, behind the main box shape of the terminal body.

2. My sourced terminals don't have a notch in each side of the main box shape of the terminal body.

3. My sourced terminal's blades are more rounded at the ends and have extra 'horns' on them.

As I said above, they fit into the Land Rover fuse box without a problem.

Here are some pictures of one of my terminals crimped onto a White/Black wire and fitted into the Land Rover fuse box -

This picture shows my terminal crimped side-by-side with the released land Rover terminal-

This picture shows my crimped terminal inserted into the Land Rover fusebox -

This picture shows the Land Rover fuse box from the fuse face, my terminal on the left, Land rover terminal on the right.

You can see the extra 'horns' on the ends of my terminal, they made no difference to the terminal fitting into the fuse box, or the fuse fitting into the slot and engaging the terminal -

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Paul.

Last edited by PaulMc on 15th May 2012 11:23am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #96207 25th Oct 2011 4:32pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I'm looking for heating element info..... http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic8878.html

Wink Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #96404 26th Oct 2011 6:15pm
airpusher

Wow! Paul, that's fantastic stuff!

That will make my life much easier.

The switches arrived yesterday with the connection blocks. With about 2mins of Stanley knife activitybthe fitted with ease.

Again, thanks as it was one of your posts on another forum that I found with all the info.

As soon as I get the fuse connector bits I'll have ago rigging it up & see if it all works.

Miserableolgit... I'm not sure what your looking for! Is it if the wires and elements are one complete units or if the wires connect via plug to the element?

I checked the wire/elements by putting a multimeter on each end testing for continuity using the bell. It puts a small current through & alarms if the feed is received.
Post #96537 27th Oct 2011 10:26am
Happyoldgit

I'd like to know if the feed wires and plug are integral with the element or if the cables plug into the element. If integral I need to replace wires and element in which case it can get done under warranty but if separate I can just renew the wires and save the hassle of getting it to and from the stealers and being without it for a day or two. Steve.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

Post #96553 27th Oct 2011 12:47pm
airpusher

I've never seen the connections but I came across this looking into wire thickness/ratings!

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=42471

It has a pic showing the connection.

I can upload the image later if your not able to see it. Unfortunately cant from iPad to this forum
Post #96763 28th Oct 2011 12:35pm
Happyoldgit

airpusher wrote:
I've never seen the connections but I came across this looking into wire thickness/ratings!

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=42471

It has a pic showing the connection.

I can upload the image later if your not able to see it. Unfortunately cant from iPad to this forum

Oh yes I can see that all right, must have missed that one - cheers! Steve.

Post #96834 28th Oct 2011 8:23pm
airpusher

Well thanks to everyone's help I have the wires pulled, switches connected & glowing with the lights etc.

I had to be a little creative with the main live as accruing all the tiny bits for the fuse panel was becoming a real pain!!

The only area I'm a little stuck with is were is the closest earth point to use for both the seats?

I can't see one in either driver or battery box!

Any ideas of the closest?

Cheers
Post #108908 21st Dec 2011 2:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>