↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 89 of 351 <123 ... 888990 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
Midlander1231

United Kingdom 
Converting South African Rand to Sterling, makes £50,000 the starting price of the base Defender II 110.
Post #791315 8th Sep 2019 11:58pm
Brucemknx

Australia 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Caledonian Blue
More than $90,000 in Australia. Then add 33% ‘luxury car tax’ for every dollar over $67,525. And that’s the base model before options? Hope not.
Post #791325 9th Sep 2019 5:46am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
SN wrote:
what did you expect? the EU outlawed the old defender (59 year old) shape because of stupid pedestrians and the old engines based on stupid ecowarriers - it was always going to be closer to other vehicles. thankfully it looks like a D3 which, for me, was the ultimate meld of old school land rover with 21st century styling/technology that coud still be at home in the rough stuff - so all good!

The EU did bring in touch pedestrian laws. Certainly. But Merc managed to absolutely nail the DNA of the G Wagen. You can see the lineage clearly from old to new. And they even kept the round headlights FFS. JLR have entirely failed to do this bar a couple of really small nods. Flat bonnet wings, alpine windows, rear mounted wheel. The front looks like a Disco 3 and the rest, could be anything.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #791332 9th Sep 2019 7:20am
NMBRPL8

Australia 
benz did a great job.
which one is the new model?
Post #791334 9th Sep 2019 7:31am
pdv

Belgium 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
except the G-class is only for the rich people 100K for a base model here, and how long will it remain like that with the regulations about safety and economics becoming more strict ? it still has the aerodynamics of a brick.

i like the new "defender" apart from a few design flaws where i think they must be on drugs or something Whistle . interior wise it looks very good with a practical dashboard.
Post #791336 9th Sep 2019 7:55am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
another teaser video

--
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #791337 9th Sep 2019 8:01am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
It might be for rich people, but at a starting price of 50.000€ for the base model, the new Defender isn't exactly for poor people. Besides, that shouldn't effect styling cues from one version to the next.

The G Wagen kept a huge number of details.

Round headlights
Recessed headlights
Bonnet angle
Bonnet indicators
Wheel arch shape front and rear
Door shape, front and middle, including the hinges
Windscreen rake
Windscreen rubber trim detail
Door/handle trim along the 'waist'
Door moulding detailing on shoulder and at base
Window shape front, middle and rear
Roof profile including small wing/lift at the very rear
Even the thin, pointless plastic trim on the C-Pillar has been kept.

30 years between the two g-wagons in the photos, yet it is clear they are the same car albeit father and son. Using a similar timeframe:

What can we see in this:

Click image to enlarge

From either of these:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #791340 9th Sep 2019 8:09am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Does anyone actually know what the strange lunchbox thing on the offside rear in the photo above actually is (apart from being weird)?

Emergency manicure box, perhaps?

Sadly the photos reveal that the new vehicle is exactly what I expected, namely a decent replacement for the Disco 4 at at last. No-one should be surprised that we're being given a Disco with gimmicks, not a Defender, it was inevitable.
Post #791344 9th Sep 2019 8:17am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
From a business point of view I dont give a rats bottom what the new Defender looks like or that it may not resemble the previous vehicle. All I want is a tough 4x4 vehicle that will seat 4 blokes in comfort and be able to carry a decent bit of kit in the boot that is safe and secure. I have a feeling that they have dekcuf the boot space Twisted Evil
The thing is there is nothing else on the market thats new that will do this. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #791346 9th Sep 2019 8:24am
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Looks like a Disco. Does the things a Disco does. Priced like a Disco.... but not a Disco. Question Confused

Not having a pickup option is such a massive error. VW, Merc, Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Isuzu etc all breathing a collective sigh of relief. Really wanted to replace the farm D Max with one. Oh well. Could get two pickups for the price of a 110. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #791351 9th Sep 2019 8:31am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
AndrewS wrote:
From a business point of view I dont give a rats bottom what the new Defender looks like or that it may not resemble the previous vehicle. All I want is a tough 4x4 vehicle that will seat 4 blokes in comfort and be able to carry a decent bit of kit in the boot that is safe and secure. I have a feeling that they have dekcuf the boot space Twisted Evil
The thing is there is nothing else on the market thats new that will do this.

There’s the Land Cruiser Utility, which I hope the base model new Defender might compete with. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS

Last edited by Bluest on 9th Sep 2019 8:53am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #791354 9th Sep 2019 8:43am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Farmerben wrote:
Not having a pickup option is such a massive error. .

They've already said there will be utility options and a pick up. Just not from day one. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #791355 9th Sep 2019 8:47am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Grenadier wrote:
It might be for rich people, but at a starting price of 50.000€ for the base model, the new Defender isn't exactly for poor people.

What modern sane business wants to produce a low quality car aimed at poor people? Look at the Mahendra, the Dacia Duster etc, low quality vehicles that will not stand the test of time.

I heard it direct from a Land Rover person that the new Defender is NOT aimed at the previous owners who are driving round in their old 90s and 110s lamenting the fact the new one might have a computer in it. It's such a tiny market space and proved to not be viable, hence we are where we are now. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #791357 9th Sep 2019 8:51am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I guess as it has been said before it will be a case of love it or hate it.

What I don't buy into though is the suggestion that legislation has forced a radical departure from the traditional shape.
If Mercedes, Suzuki & Jeep have been able to carry through the bloodline, then I'm sure JLR could have done so if they had desired.

My three biggest concerns are the price, the loadspace and the lack of modular design.

I think I'm right in saying that the top spec 110 XS County was around £32k when last available.
I'm guessing the equivalent replacement is going to be somewhere between £50k and £60k.

And as mentioned earlier, those tapered sides must surely be robbing lots of storage space in the back. (which already looks limited).

My third concern is not as great, but it was always good to know on the old Defender that I could convert it to a rag top if desired. In reality, I haven't switched between a hard top and soft top since owning a Series III back in the 80's so no big deal, but the meccano design really appealed to me.

I'll wait before passing final judgement until I see a 110 in the flesh and can work out the pricing for something equivalent to my previous 110 or current Jeep.
Post #791367 9th Sep 2019 9:41am
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
I don't think he actually meant poor people but you can buy a top of the range Amarok or X Class for the same money as an entry level 110.

I'm sure they will bring out a pickup in the future but anyone with eyes can see the explosion of pickups over the last 10 years - its a market JLR have no stake in. They might not want to produce a "low quality car aimed at poor people" but to prioritise putting out another premium SUV with abilities far greater than anything the majority of buyers are going to use it for - a market they have totally covered that will only cannibalise from sales of their other vehicles - seems crazy.

From the Autocar article:

Quote:
The Defender 90 is described as the “halo image icon” of the Defender and is aimed at “the young, affluent fun seekers”

Quote:
The 110 is described as the “definitive” model in the family, available in five, six and seven-seat forms. It’s aimed a “couples, the self-employed and adventurers”.

Doesn't sound like they're remotely interested in making a work vehicle.

And if this quote isn't the biggest bowl of marketing alphabet soup I don't know what is.

Quote:
“Our brand is about passion, and it is icons that drive that passion," said Jaguar Land Rover marketing chief Felix Bräutigam. "The truth is the world doesn’t need another premium brand doing what all the others do. These icons are what separate us; at Land Rover, we are rooted in our heritage and that’s what makes us different,” he added.

I mean they've essentially done just that: released another premium SUV that does exactly what all their other vehicles do. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #791370 9th Sep 2019 9:44am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 89 of 351 <123 ... 888990 ... 349350351>