Home > General & Technical (L663) > JD Power 2020, 2021 & 2022 Studies
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
JD Power 2020, 2021 & 2022 Studies
This has to be bad news for Defender sales in the US:

"Consumer Reports released its Auto Reliability Survey showing the least reliable 2020 vehicle models.
USA TODAY
Bought a lemon recently?

That was bad luck because new vehicles, on the whole, are more dependable than ever.

That's according to J.D. Power's 2020 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study Crying or Very sad , which was released Wednesday. The closely-tracked index has found that 2020 is the best year ever for vehicle performance.

The bottom line: Your new vehicle should hold up well. Really well. Either that or something went terribly awry.

The study, which automakers often trumpet to market their vehicles, tracks the number of problems in three-year-old vehicles during the previous 12 months. Per 100 vehicles, the average was 134. See the full list of brands lower down.

“Despite the increased adoption of complex vehicle technology, dependability continues to improve,” Dave Sargent, vice president of global automotive at J.D. Power, said in a statement. “There’s no question that three-year-old vehicles today are better built and more dependable than same-age vehicles were in previous years."

Of the 32 automotive brands tracked by J.D. Power, Genesis – the luxury brand sold by Hyundai – topped the list of highest-quality brands. It was followed, in order, by Lexus, Buick, Porsche and Toyota.

The Lexus ES is the most dependable vehicle of 2020, according to J.D. Power.

At the bottom of the list is Land Rover. Second to last: Chrysler.

(Tesla was not included because it does not grant permission to contact its owners in states where it's required - and those states represent too much of Tesla sales for J.D. Power to achieve a representative sample of its customers.)

The most common trouble for new vehicles continues to be glitches with the audio, entertainment and navigation systems. These issues include touchscreen flaws, voice recognition failures and Bluetooth connectivity shortcomings.

Toyota had six winners overall, including two Lexus models. General Motors had four, including three Chevrolet models, while Nissan and Ford had two apiece.

Most dependable model per segment:
Small car: Honda Fit

Compact car: Nissan Leaf

Midsize car: Buick Regal

Large car: Toyota Avalon

Small premium car: BMW 2 Series

Compact premium car: Lexus ES

Midsize premium car: Genesis G80

Compact sporty car: Mazda MX-5 Miata

Midsize sporty car: Ford Mustang

Small SUV: Buick Encore

Compact SUV: Chevrolet Equinox

Midsize SUV: Toyota 4Runner

Large SUV: Chevrolet Tahoe

Small premium SUV: Mercedes-Benz GLA

Compact premium SUV: Porsche Macan

Midsize premium SUV: Lexus GX

Minivan: Toyota Sienna

Midsize pickup: Nissan Frontier

Large light-duty pickup: Ford F-150 and Toyota Tundra (tie)

Large heavy-duty pickup: Chevrolet Silverado HD

The most dependable brands (problems per 100 vehicles):

Genesis (80)
Lexus (100)
Buick (103)
Porsche (104)
Toyota (113)
Volkswagen (116)
Lincoln (119)
BMW (123)
Chevrolet (123)
Ford (126)
Mazda (130)
Cadillac (131)
Hyundai (132)
Kia (132)
Audi (136)
Nissan (136)
Acura (139)
Honda (139)
Ram (140)
Mitsubishi (146)
Mini (147)
Mercedes-Benz (152)
Subaru (154)
Infiniti (155)
Dodge (158)
Jeep (159)
Fiat (160)
GMC (162)
Volvo (185)
Jaguar (186)
Chrysler (214)
Land Rover (220)"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/...722896002/

Last edited by Supacat on 11th Feb 2022 5:15am. Edited 4 times in total
Post #816177 20th Feb 2020 6:01pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Same old, same old. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #816188 20th Feb 2020 6:37pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
JLRs glitchy software sucks and has really caused problems these recent years. Looking forward to the defender now they accepted it and moved to a hopefully better platform/solution. From what i have seen of it they have addressed some of the big usability problems. Proof will be in the pudding when it hits the real world. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten

Last edited by RDR on 20th Feb 2020 7:24pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #816190 20th Feb 2020 7:14pm
Tim in Scotland

Another “award” that JLR will not be broadcasting to the world then, management won’t even take any notice or make any attempt to improve matters if passed performance is anything to go by Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #816191 20th Feb 2020 7:19pm
J77

Scotland 
LR have always finished bottom though my experience of the brand is largely positive. Out of 10 LRs only my D3 left me at the side of the road. My Velar has had troublesome software but nothing that has prevented the car being used, though it has had both front headlights replaced under warranty due to cracking at £6k a pair (that was a tough fight) and one rear light replaced for the same reason (they didn’t question that one).
Post #816194 20th Feb 2020 7:38pm
Buran

Croatia 
Looking at a list, I notice Volvo near the bottom... Interestingly enough in the family we own 3 Volvos.
S60 from 2003, has about 400.000 km. Then XC90 from 2008. with 550.000km on it and XC90 from 2018. with 60.000 km.
All three work like a charm, very minor problems during all these years.

My question would be - what kind of problems are there in the list. How much terrible ones that left you fu**ed, standing in the middle of nowhere waiting to be towed? Or at least seriously impaired to drive normally?

Because less than that I would not constitue a valid reason to give up on the next Defender. I can live with Infotainment turned to a pile of rubble, or air condition, or ambiental lighting, or connectivity, or adaptive cruise control, or 360 cameras, or any of the “new-age” gizmos and “comfort” stuff.

Just give me working suspension, engine, transmission, brakes and steering. And road safety - strong body, crumple zones, airbags, all the bells and whistles that were not there in the old Def - because that is actually the main reason why I opt to buy new Defender.

I want it off-road capable, very safe on road, and reliable when it comes to main components. All there is to it.
Post #816340 21st Feb 2020 6:33pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Funny how Gerry (dodgy trousers, cravat et al) does not rush to the nearest stage to talk about history, iconic, curves, future, reimagining and other meaningless designer lead bollo.

Time for him to go and for JLR to produce engineer led products.

On another matter a friend of mind works in the service department at a JLR main dealers. the reoccurring issues they get from RRS and FFRR owners are those that cant be bothered to read the manual - a green light keeps flashing on the dash = that's the hill decent control sir, my car wont do more that 30 mph - you've put the car into low range sir...…
Post #816355 21st Feb 2020 9:09pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hang on guys - we all know that reliability is not everything otherwise we'd not be driving around in a Defender. We don't drive them because they are reliable, we drive them because we like them, it's not miles per gallon or the number of breakdowns per 10,000 miles, it's smiles per gallon.

Ask yourself the question would you rather drive down the street in a Nissan Leaf or a RR Autobiography? Many of my neighbours drive Mercedes Benz and many other people aspire to them, yet they are in the middle ground when it comes to the JDP survey of reliability.

Reliability is only one of the many reasons why people buy a particular make and model of car. Having said all of that my D3, D4, DS and my last two Defenders have been totally reliable, they are all at the top of Discomog's survey. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #816374 22nd Feb 2020 8:48am
Supacat

Buran wrote:
Just give me working suspension, engine, transmission, brakes and steering. And road safety - strong body, crumple zones, airbags, all the bells and whistles that were not there in the old Def - because that is actually the main reason why I opt to buy new Defender.

You know how many of the items you have listed above now rely heavily on “new-age” gizmos to operate?
Post #816381 22nd Feb 2020 9:42am
Supacat

discomog wrote:
Hang on guys - we all know that reliability is not everything otherwise we'd not be driving around in a Defender. We don't drive them because they are reliable, we drive them because we like them, it's not miles per gallon or the number of breakdowns per 10,000 miles, it's smiles per gallon.

Three things - this survey refers to the US market - one which is now even more vital, at least in the short term, to JLR and the New Defender with events in China. The volume of sales JLR want mean they cannot just look to the enthusiast to buy with their heart over their head. They are looking to a whole new market segment who can reasonably be expected to look at things such as this.

And secondly, existing Defender owners didn't pay £70k for a premium vehicle, so expectations could be said to be less or more reasonably managed.

Thirdly, rightly or wrongly, the current Defender has "classic" or even "iconic" status, it's earned this over very many years - the New Defender will have to earn this along with the strap line "reliability is not everything".
Post #816385 22nd Feb 2020 9:55am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
discomog wrote:

Ask yourself the question would you rather drive down the street in a Nissan Leaf or a RR Autobiography? Many of my neighbours drive Mercedes Benz and many other people aspire to them, yet they are in the middle ground when it comes to the JDP survey of reliability.

Reliability is only one of the many reasons why people buy a particular make and model of car. Having said all of that my D3, D4, DS and my last two Defenders have been totally reliable, they are all at the top of Discomog's survey.

Why compare a Nissan Leaf to a Range Rover?

Surely a better analogy would be a Porsche Vs Range Rover? Admittedly Porsche is a prestige brand as opposed to an aspirational brand like JLR but they prove it's possible to hover around the top of these reliability charts most years and provide plenty smiles per miles. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #816390 22nd Feb 2020 10:24am
oneten110

United Kingdom 
I wouldn't pay too much attention, unless JD Power surveys have changed since I filled one in.
Disliking the colour of the cup holder counted as a fault. It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #816899 25th Feb 2020 5:09pm
Supacat

JD Power 2021 Customer Service Index (CSI) Study
Good news, a better result than last year; bad news only up one place:

Click image to enlarge

Actually, it's measuring something different...

"Stay-at-home orders were enacted across the United States through much of 2020 and consequently many vehicle owners drove fewer miles, which extended the interval between service visits. However, dealer service visits are only down 6% from the previous year and overall satisfaction increases to 847 (on a 1,000-point scale) from 837 a year ago, according to the J.D. Power 2021 Customer Service Index (CSI) Study,SM released today. Overall satisfaction also increases for a sixth consecutive year."

"Completing work right the first time, as well as focusing on customers’ needs, play significant roles in satisfaction"

"which is based on the combined scores of five different measures that comprise the vehicle owner service experience. These measures are (in order of importance) service quality (29%); service facility (19%); service initiation (18%); service advisor (18%); and vehicle pick-up (16%)."

" The 2021 U.S. Customer Service Index Study is based on responses from 62,519 verified registered owners and lessees of 2018 to 2020 model-year vehicles."

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/202...ower-Finds
Post #890747 11th Mar 2021 1:54pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
The double-whammy of the least dependable vehicles and the second from worst service.

We all know it's true, yet still we continue to give them another chance...
Post #890766 11th Mar 2021 3:38pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
If you had to choose just one brand that has a reputation for reliability as bad as LR, Alfa, gorgeous though they are, would be it. Swiftly followed by Lancia. In fact I’d suggest that Alfa are arguably the Italian version of JLR, a mix of ‘aspirationally premium’ sports saloons and SUVs that look fab, handle well, offer a statement as being distinctly un-German, but don’t quite back up the ‘premium’ image in terms of QC and reliability. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #890856 11th Mar 2021 10:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>