↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma owner ship
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
The TD5 motor and the 6speed Puma box would have been super, but that of course isn't an option.

I really like that every single one is different, I cannot stand having the same as everyone else when it comes to vehicles.
Why be so boring as to have the same as the neighbour has etc.

With a lot of vehicles out there they are so generic, and there is so very little you can do with them tastefully to make it yours so to speak.

I'd defintly go for it, but as we all know the £ can be a real hurdle.

Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #750661 12th Jan 2019 1:27am
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Rr a Puma.
+1 for the Puma.

Having had 300 TDI, 2.4 and now 2.2, and because I do like to use our Landy in places that happen to be many hundred kilometers away from home, I really appreciate the improvements that the post 2007 model introduced.
Seat heating, integrated AC, electric windows and central locking may sound out of context to some, but in the big picture, it is still the Landy that we all know and love and is still light years away from all the modern SUV’s.

The six speed box is excellent (if not as charismatic as the GKN overdrive I had in the TDI). Like many on the forum, I didn‘t like the Puma dash at first sight, but absolutely love it now. In todays world, it is still the most eccentric combination of modern gubbins in a 1948 package. In my view, it is brilliant!

Build quality of the later vehicles (Pumas generally) has definitely gone downhill, particularly the bodyshell, so look carefully for the known corrosion and leaky tub and cabin issues issues.

The well documented transfer shaft issue cannot be ignored, and is a fat minus point for the Puma. At the first signs of the teltale rust-dust, I had mine swapped out for an Ashcroft one, and have had no problems.

If I would use a Landy for local trips on sunny days, or as an off-road beater, I‘d want a Series or a TDi or TD5. However, if it is to be used for every day duties and longer trips (or if it is my only car), I‘d go for a Puma.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MTs,
Recaro CSs, anorak, wellingtons
Post #750668 12th Jan 2019 9:05am
dorsetsmith

custom90steve wrote:
The TD5 motor and the 6speed Puma box would have been super, but that of course isn't an option.

I really like that every single one is different, I cannot stand having the same as everyone else when it comes to vehicles.
Why be so boring as to have the same as the neighbour has etc.

With a lot of vehicles out there they are so generic, and there is so very little you can do with them tastefully to make it yours so to speak.

I'd defintly go for it, but as we all know the £ can be a real hurdle.

Thumbs Up

http://www.mdengineering.co.uk/shop/adapti...d-gearbox/
Post #750669 12th Jan 2019 9:35am
pj2106

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Td5 and Puma box is an option as above 2008 110 2.4 XS Utility (Hagrid)
2002 90 TD5 Hardtop (Sully) Sold
1998 300TDi D1 (Billy) Sold
Post #750672 12th Jan 2019 10:15am
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Forget about the mpg in this forum because fuel consumption depends only on speed Wink
Nothing to worry about if you're a slow driver.

If you loved the Puma (and there are so many reasons for it as explained in the posts above) you'd better take an early 2.2 because of the important improvements being made after TATA bought Land Rover from Ford. I think Ford had a really good idea with this Transit conversion of the Land Rover (but poor and economical performance). TATA came up with some good improvements and pushed the Puma to more perfection (a 2.2. is not just a 2.4 with a DPF being added...)

The late 2.2 have a different security system (not the 10AS) which you cannot influence / stop any more -
and I don't know if I liked this ...
Post #750675 12th Jan 2019 10:41am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Could I fit bench seats to these if a half decent one came up? or will I have to go front facing seats? Mine only had two people ever in the back! which were one offs. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #754205 27th Jan 2019 2:25am
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
It's a grey area legally and, without going into the legal wormhole of mights and ifs, is basically a no.

2007 there was quite a lot of legislation change hence the front centre seat (with lap belt) and bench/sideways tip ups were dropped in favour of the forward facing ones.

This was also the year that the legislation for A bars and such changed I believe Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #754207 27th Jan 2019 3:59am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Procta wrote:
Could I fit bench seats to these if a half decent one came up? or will I have to go front facing seats? Mine only had two people ever in the back! which were one offs.

I had a bench seat in mine, so the answer would be yes, however mine had no seat belts so weren’t road legal. Depends what you need.
Post #754217 27th Jan 2019 9:08am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
grafty99 wrote:
It's a grey area legally and, without going into the legal wormhole of mights and ifs, is basically a no.

2007 there was quite a lot of legislation change hence the front centre seat (with lap belt) and bench/sideways tip ups were dropped in favour of the forward facing ones.

This sort of thing tends to restrict manufacturers rather than owners, i.e. it's illegal to build them like that but not to fit them afterwards (much like bull bars). There are several people on here who've retrofitted side-facing seats and belts and have no trouble with MOT's or insurance. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #754221 27th Jan 2019 9:25am
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Quote:
Although side facing seats, with or without seatbelts, are not illegal, we would not advise that they are used. This is because seatbelts are not designed to be used with such seats. In the event of an accident, seatbelts on these side facing seats may help to prevent the wearer being thrown around the vehicle or from being ejected, but in a frontal crash they can increase injury risk by subjecting vulnerable parts of the body to higher loads than seatbelts used on forward facing seats. You should also bear in mind that child restraints cannot be fitted to side facing seats. In order to fit the required child restraints, you would need to have forward or rearward facing seats with full three-point seatbelts.

I stand corrected on the fitting sideways seats (from the gov.uk website)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications...n-the-rear

However, if there is no room in the back left for carrying goods then

Quote:
If, by adding extra seats, all the load space was now taken up by passengers and their effects, a court might decide that the vehicle now fell under the description of ‘passenger vehicle’ rather than ‘goods vehicle’ and would need to meet the regulations that applied to passenger vehicles. This could affect the requirements for items such as seatbelts and brakes, as well as licensing requirements.

So this could have implications but you'd probably be fine for occasional use Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #754238 27th Jan 2019 10:13am
HK07

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Go for it Procta, had my 07 2.4 for over 10 years, I still love it now as much as when I got it.

So far, it's been great. Did I mention I love it? 2007 90 Puma - Love it - Best car I have ever owned.

1989 Ninety 200tdi - Love it - Second best car I have ever owned.

1951 80" Series 1 - Love it - Third best car I have ever owned.
Post #754390 27th Jan 2019 9:30pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Julie wrote:
If you loved the Puma (and there are so many reasons for it as explained in the posts above) you'd better take an early 2.2 because of the important improvements being made after TATA bought Land Rover from Ford. I think Ford had a really good idea with this Transit conversion of the Land Rover (but poor and economical performance). TATA came up with some good improvements and pushed the Puma to more perfection (a 2.2. is not just a 2.4 with a DPF being added...)...

I have to say that personally I disagree totally with this sentiment and would always choose the 2.4 over the 2.2. I don't think that there were any improvements at all with the 2.2 except possibly the return to a fuel pump in the tank, and in reality there is no disadvantage to the 2.4's mechanical pump over this. The only changes are to fuel and emission systems and they simply make the 2.2 harder to self-maintain and less tunable. If you don't need the 'cleaner' engine my feeling is don't bother.

I don't think Tata did any re-engineering, they were simply obliged to fit the 2.2 in place of the 2.4 due to emissions regulations and the consequent demise of Ford's 2.4 in the European marketplace.

I'd be genuinely interested to know what could possibly be considered an improvement.
Post #754417 27th Jan 2019 11:07pm
hornet

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I emphasize the statement of Blackwolf, less is much more in this case!
Post #754470 28th Jan 2019 12:58pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I have a 2.4, my last two tanks of commuting along the A14 have given me 31.5MPG which isn't the end of the world. Motorway driving through Europe I get similar. If I drop to 60-65 MPH (instead of an indicated 70) then I can get it a bit higher. Lots of short journeys and it drops, premium diesel is a bit better.

The EGR valve died around 20k miles, it was cheaper to disable it than replace it.
The clutch died at 15k miles (I bought it at 13k miles), I assume that it was abused by the previous owners. I'm still on the replacement clutch at 69k miles and whlist it doesn't get much heavy towing it does get a lot of hard off road.

Some years (2011-12) have an issue where the welds on the axle fail and the wheel falls off. That's not a good thing.
Some early ones had issues with piston cooling causing a dead engine.

I've used a TD5 quite a bit at a previous job, and whilst I have done a long 600 mile trip in a day towing a trailer, it was miserable and I would much prefer to do it in the Puma. I am comfortable cruising about 10MPH higher in the Puma than the TD5. My daily limit is about 700 miles.
Post #754511 28th Jan 2019 3:12pm
Dreamweapon

Scotland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
I'm happy with my 2.4, hasn't broken down in the two years I have owned it (although frequently sounds like it is about to). In Germany I've seen 2.4 Tdci Tranny Vans from 2006 onwards being advertised for sale with over 350000 miles on the clock, with original engine. The ones with the piston cooling jet problem, will have been either fixed or scrapped by now.
The Duratorq is probably one of the longest lasting diesels ever fitted to a Landy. One weakness is the emissions system (EGR) which tends to soot up (more like oily tar) if you drive short distances too often, which is more likely in a Landy than a Tranny.
Post #754516 28th Jan 2019 3:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>