↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma owner ship
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Procta

Another good example of why D2N can be so good at providing a balanced response to a question,
I agree with much of what has been said already.

I had a Series III for 3 years a new 300tdi for 19 and now a late 2.4 (bought almost new) for the last 5 years.

The 300tdi was mechanically so straight forward and reliable that it will always have a strong following...but
for a variety of reasons the Puma is just a nicer place to be if you do any kind of serious millage, and (as with
other Defenders) it is easy to make it better for your particular use / preferences.

As for the Puma (as has been said) if you can make sure its N1 on the V5C anything late 2010 onwards will, you will be off to a head start, the 6th Gear is great, mid to high 20's MPG but interestingly mine has returned some low 30's now she's at 40K.

Seats better, heating system much better, demist of windows now acceptable as it had been so poor for so long.
I like the stolen Discovery Dashboard, somehow just looks right very quickly, I still miss glass faces on the dials
though, but that takes you back to Series days

Still a DIY service proposition if that is your way, a simple ODBII Code Reader will probably be a good investment
to point you in the right direction...on occasions.

I don't know if there is anything in this, but I was once told by a long term LR dealer (in the Lake District) that Defenders do vary when driven, some just seam to fly along others seam to be working hard to make progress...now as an engineer giving this some thought, on a mass produced product this shouldn't really happen, and even though the Defender isn't (or wasn't) mass produced, there should be little difference between one Puma Engine / Gearbox to another except the treatment given to it in the real world...but I think from the evidence on D2N and elsewhere they do appear to vary probably more than they should. So I have to say I think there is something in that comment form the LR dealer, as with any potential purchase (second hand) drive a few to get a measure of what to expect... a good one will then somehow just feel good.

As has been said you can do the retro rear seat arrangement legally post 2007, DVSA (formally VOSA) DVLA, MOT,
and insurance all OK, I still love mine and for use mainly by 2 adults and a dog some how 6 seats work better that the 4 arrangement.

Click image to enlarge

I don't think there is perfect version of the Defender out there (that came off the production line in standard form)
but a really good 200/300tdi, TD5 or Puma with there individual issues corrected or kept on the radar is still a good
proposition.

Good Luck SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #754527 28th Jan 2019 5:10pm
kaney

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Picked up my 2008 Puma in late August last year since then the person whom i bought it off had lost all the service documents but had the log book and MOT so after checking the history of it ie not stolen he told me it had had an engine re-build
I have been tested as getting rid of a 2016 transit custom without any prob's
I wanted a defender again as my last one was in 2007 so I got this one
First thing service as in filters, oil change 5/30, front brakes,rear shocks,all the usual stuff
Since then Alarm imoblizer and dead locks as front door locks did'nt lock Then MAF due to cutting out now fuel pump in the tank is being changed as it's got worse and at 170000 miles why not i've also had the genuine Land rover battery die on me this winter so a new one fitted yesterday again it's done well to have lasted so long.
The things i have enjoyed buying after getting rid of the home made roof rack so noisy and the winch bumper did'nt work any way
New tyres,changing the cubby box for a seat struggling where to put the seatbelt as its very tight to find anywhere to bolt on so i have made some plates to install for the belts to fix to, New brighter light bulbs, rear spots, rear int light strip both run off leisure battery, bigger mirrors as i have a caravan and after slackening the grub screw i can set horizontal so i don,t need the clip on mirrors
insulating all the back and plylining and making shelfs to suit my tools (gardener)
I have so much more to do and although i get Censored ed off on things breaking down and spending money i don't really have I love it planning what i want to do next and in the future but do I want to go back to the Custom etc Not a chance.
So basicly the Puma is still a challange and a money pit Nothings changed Thumbs Up
Post #755730 2nd Feb 2019 7:15pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
I had looked at them on and off for years. Quietly admiring them in car parks and garages, but could never bring myself to actually buy one. Until October last year when i thought 'Stuff it, life is too short' and bought a relatively new 2014 Puma 110

I had a BMW X5 before this and it never missed a beat for 3 years. Flawless in every way but without emotion. It did its job well. Never broke down, handled really well. Great MPG, but it just felt like a means of transport. It never made me 'feel' anything.

I can honestly say I've never had a car like it. Every time i start the engine and it rumbles into life, i smile. People wave at you. Everyone says, wow, i love your motor, I was going to get one but.....

If you're like me and thinking about it then just DO IT! I can honestly say I've not regretted the decision for a millisecond. the things you don't like about it you can swap about. (I've changed the steering wheel and adding a satnav stereo). None of this is too hard and the guys on here are full of helpful info to get you going.

Post #755831 3rd Feb 2019 4:02am
kaney

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
2015 Land Rover Defender 110 Review - 3 years later on you tube
A Simply Fab Life
super guy honest opinion's checkout his other videos really informative on the defenders and not boring
Post #755847 3rd Feb 2019 9:58am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
as noted above some will suggest the 2.4 is best.
personally I agree. a late 2.4 will give you the lower road tax. pre 2.2 gives the easy option of shut egr which will give you immediate improvements on mpg. as noted elsewhere I've manage 600+ miles on a single tank +40mpg !

mines over 100k miles now and the engine feels like new. granted it's had a new turbo (probably the result of not having the egr shut and driving like miss daisy hence carbon build up eventually ended in variable vanes sticking) but still on original injector seals etc. really pleased with it.

steer away from the early 2.4's just incase of the issue of bottom end pressure jets (or something like that) and the other potential issue is the recall on axle end falling off.

on the plus side there's load that can be done to minimise it getting nicked and it's a little less complex than the 2.2s with pdf etc. Thumbs Up
Post #755852 3rd Feb 2019 10:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123