↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rattle on start / intermittent power loss
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Phid

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the thorough explanation Blackwolf - I may need to quote from that ...

I have just taken the car to a local independent who has given it the once over. The good news it is a clean car and other than the faults I've mentioned nothing else to note. That is a relief.

They agree that it is the clutch springs you can hear rattling and it will need a new clutch. They also spotted that one injector was playing up which is likely contributing to the other issue I raised. That said, since cleaning the turbo boost sensor it's been ok - goes really well.

So I've had a conversation with the dealer who sold the car to me and he is phoning the independent who ID'd the faults to better understand. Let's see how this plays out.

From my perspective I raised the issues with the seller the day I collected the car so I will be disappointed if he doesn't cover all these costs. I never picked up on either on test - the power is understandable as it is intermittent - but I'm fairly certain the clutch noise wasn't as it is now. I'm sure I would have spotted it.
Post #711263 7th Jun 2018 5:11pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You're welcome!

I don't suppose you know how many clutches your vehicle has had since new? It is possible that it is still the original one in there, but the early ones were very inadequate. The good news is that the current driven plate is much, much, better and there are good aftermarket ones too.

My '07 110 has done 225,000 miles and is (I think) on its 5th clutch, but I fitted it at 150,000 so it has lasted way longer than any previous one. It doesn't rattle but has lost its springiness and is due for a change. It's also about time to inspect and lubricate the dreaded output shaft (which amazingly is the original, and at 150k was a better fit with less slop than the brand new one I'd bought just in case)!
Post #711295 7th Jun 2018 7:51pm
Phid

United Kingdom 
No sorry I don’t know if this the first clutch or not. I will make sure the output shaft is checked when the box is out.
Cheers
Post #711340 7th Jun 2018 9:43pm
Rob90and110

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Zambezi Silver
Is the "rattle" the EGR doing its clean up cycle on shutdown? 5 short sounds, thats normal. Just a thought.
Post #716516 6th Jul 2018 10:49pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Blackwolf - Purely out of curiosity when did you change your clutch? Mine was late 14’ it seems pretty good and runs better than the last.
The original lasted just 38k!
Having said that I did learn to drive on it but didn’t go around burning the clutch.

Regards the OP’s rattle, sounds possibly like a loose turbo heat shield or similar shield that rattles with vibration at its maximum. I.e. At start up and shut down. EGR makes a very specific cleaning cycle noise, and very little on start up. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #716520 6th Jul 2018 11:29pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Checking my records, my Defender (new in 2007) has had replacement clutches in 2008 (10k miles), 2010 (60k miles), 2016 (150k miles), and needs another one now (225k miles). It is however still on the original output adaptor shaft!

The OP's rattle is the clutch, of that there is no doubt, and not heatshield nor EGR.
Post #716525 7th Jul 2018 12:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12