↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rattle on start / intermittent power loss
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Phid

United Kingdom 
Rattle on start / intermittent power loss
I’ve just picked up my first Defender - an ‘07 puma - low miles (56k) FSH and seemingly been well cared for. Two faults have arisen since test driving it and having driven it over 100 miles home.

1. In start up there is a very obvious short rattle just as starter kicks in and repeats when engine switched off - ie when revs are less than idle. I’m sure it didn’t do it when I collected it.

2. Power loss - once just after starting (so not hot) driving up hill in stop start traffic and second time about 45 miles later driving at 50 in 6th gear. Both times it’s like limp home mode - can’t accelerate. Both times it cleared without having to switch off engine. No warning lights either time.

The car has not been used a lot recently so wonder if it could be fuel issues - filter, condensation?

Any ideas appreciated

Thanks
Post #711141 6th Jun 2018 8:08pm
Phid

United Kingdom 
Ref 2. I have noticed there is diesel on the bottom right hand side of the fuel tank. Could this indicate breather pipe issue?
Post #711152 6th Jun 2018 8:52pm
Phid

United Kingdom 
Another symptom just identified.

Sometimes on start up it’s stopping itself straight away. No faults showing on code reader.
Post #711204 7th Jun 2018 9:29am
Phid

United Kingdom 
Another update...

The turbo boost sensor was filthy. Have cleaned that and replaced and car runs noticeably better. The symptoms described haven't returned but I haven't done too many miles. I guess if readings from the sensor were wrong due to the muck it would result in what I have been experiencing.

That said it did repeat the start up and stop itself fault. Strange one.

The start up rattle is coming from the gearbox according to my mate who was lying under the car to listen. I thought about checking the gearbox oil was at the right level which normally you would do by filling until overflowing from the fill hole. Am I right in saying you can't do this on a Defender?
Post #711217 7th Jun 2018 10:32am
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Yes unfortunately.

And you're a lucky man if it's just the sensor Thumbs Up

if not just PM me, I went through the process of three years trying to solve the problem. Which I did by the way a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #711219 7th Jun 2018 10:40am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
When you get the start/stop rattle, do you have the clutch in or out?

If the clutch is in, then it may well be the infamous Puma clutch "Death Rattle" especially on a vehicle the age of yours. The early Puma clutches were almost completely unfit for purpose and seldom last more than a few thousand miles (my '07 had three new clutches in the first three years).

If it is the death rattle then you will hear it is you stop the engine with the clutch in, you will not hear it is you stop the engine with the clutch out.

There are other failing components which can also do this (for example the infamous gearbox output adaptor shaft, another component which is scarcely fit for purpose) but the clutch is the most likely. If you conclude that it is the clutch, change it or get it changed without delay since the repair gets much more expensive when the driven plate sheds its springs.
Post #711220 7th Jun 2018 10:58am
blackwolf

Phid wrote:
Ref 2. I have noticed there is diesel on the bottom right hand side of the fuel tank. Could this indicate breather pipe issue?

Yes, it indicates a perished breather, but it is unlikely to be the cause of your other symptoms.
Post #711222 7th Jun 2018 10:58am
blackwolf

Phid wrote:
...I thought about checking the gearbox oil was at the right level which normally you would do by filling until overflowing from the fill hole. Am I right in saying you can't do this on a Defender?

You can't do this on a TDCi (Puma) Defender with the MT82 gearbox although you can on most other Defenders. With the Puma, the filler hole is not a level hole, so really the only way to check the level is to drain the gearbox and refill with a measured quantity. That's progress for you!

In practice history suggests that more Pumas have overfilled gearboxes than underfilled, and unless there are obvious signs of a leak it is unlikely to be the problem.
Post #711224 7th Jun 2018 11:01am
Phid

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the feedback and advice.

Blackwolf: In terms of the start up rattle, I am not pressing the clutch down when I start the car or when I turn it off. If I depress the clutch the rattle goes away both on start on stop. I'm guessing this is the clutch death rattle and I need a new clutch?

After the initial rattle the engine sounds fine. When the engine is running there is no rattle either with the clutch pressed down or not.
Post #711226 7th Jun 2018 11:28am
Phid

United Kingdom 
Also, if it is the clutch - any idea how much to replace at a local independent?
Post #711228 7th Jun 2018 11:46am
dorsetsmith

you just picked up my first Defender - an ‘07 puma from dealer ?

blackberry problems Rolling Eyes

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 7th Jun 2018 12:18pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #711230 7th Jun 2018 11:51am
Phid

United Kingdom 
Sorry DorsetSmith - are you asking if I got it from a dealer or highlighting the coincidence that you're in Dorset and have just bought and 07 Puma?

Yes mine is from a small independent dealer - but not close by. Any work I will get done close to home (nr Wimborne) but the dealer will be picking up the cost.
Post #711231 7th Jun 2018 11:55am
dorsetsmith

You have answer my questions your land rover from a small independent dealer and not a private sale and that the dealer will be picking up the cost.

get gear box out put shaft checked same time Exclamation
Post #711234 7th Jun 2018 12:07pm
MikeJ

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Fuji White

Click image to enlarge

I'm not sure that the clutch rattle is always immediate and fatal.
I've got a 130 with a cherry picker on the back that has rattled for 2 years without problems.
(it will probably explode now!)
It spends its whole life idling in 4th gear with the transfer box in neutral to run the PTO for the hydraulics.

So I would say if the dealer will fit a new clutch, go for it, but it probably won't fail immediately.

Cheers

Mike
Post #711239 7th Jun 2018 1:13pm
blackwolf

Phid wrote:
Thanks for the feedback and advice.

Blackwolf: In terms of the start up rattle, I am not pressing the clutch down when I start the car or when I turn it off. If I depress the clutch the rattle goes away both on start on stop. I'm guessing this is the clutch death rattle and I need a new clutch?

After the initial rattle the engine sounds fine. When the engine is running there is no rattle either with the clutch pressed down or not.

That is correct. Usually the rattle is most noticeable when switching the engine off. If it is the clutch, it will not rattle if you stop the engine with the clutch out (ie foot pressing pedal).

The rattle is caused by the springs in the clutch plate taking on a permanent set and becoming loose in their pockets. There are two problems which may develop if this is not rectified, firstly the springs ultimately are likely to fall out and lodge between the flywheel and clutch cover, rendering the vehicle undrivable and potentially causing further damage. Secondly, the springs will fail properly to absorb torsional vibrations from the engine and will fail to smooth clutch take-up, both of which can cause damage to the rest of the notoriously fragile Puma driveline and precipitate output shaft failure, diff and propshaft wear, and especially halfshaft and drive flange wear. So whilst it is true that you can run with a rattly clutch for quite some time, it is somewhat risky.

Changing the clutch is not difficult and doesn't take long, the biggest impediment is the sheer size and weight of the Defender transmission. As noted above, whilst doing a clutch change it would be exceptionally foolish not to split the transfer box and main gearbox in order to inspect and lubricate the output adaptor shaft splined joint, which is probably the Achilles Heel of the driveline. The good news is that on a 2007 vehicle, especially one with such low mileage, it is probably in excellent condition (later models were known to fail in as little as 5k miles). Make sure that the splines are copiously lubricated with a molybdenum disulphide grease on reassembly and properly assembled afterwards though, or consider fitting the Ashcroft Transmissions self-lubricating upgrade).
Post #711251 7th Jun 2018 3:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>