↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Is it worth taking out an extended warranty?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Quote:
they wouldn't cover the rust on side steps or mud flap bracket

In this case the extended warranty is irrelevant, as this would be covered by the 6 year anti corrosion warranty, subject to the anti corrosion warranty terms and conditions.
Post #686990 16th Feb 2018 4:30pm
AKL

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Firenze Red
Vehicle is less then 6 years old and was refused under the 6 year corrosion warranty as well.
Post #687009 16th Feb 2018 5:49pm
zsd-puma

It would have just been refused under the 6 year anti corrosion warranty, whether it had the extended warranty or not is irrelevant.

Common reasons for rejecting claims under the anti corrosion warranty are "impact damage from road debris".
Post #687033 16th Feb 2018 7:33pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I took out a warranty on my 08 BM once it was 3 and paid just short of £500 per year for it in anticipation of the cam chain failing, I got £500 bill paid for a water pump but paid a £100 excess, I could have replaced the pump myself for less than £100. found that anything else that failed that could possible be blamed on corrosion such as an ABS fault was not covered. If I were to do it again I would just put £50 per month in a separate account and chances are it would cover any impending repair. in fact that is exactly what I have done with the landy and there is now £2ks worth of insurance against failure sitting in my bank.

like most insurances its a gamble and on average the insurers win the insured loose, all a gamble. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #687057 16th Feb 2018 8:47pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Has anyone taken out an extended warranty from a provider other than Land Rover? I've just had a couple of quotes and there's not much difference in price.
Post #687341 18th Feb 2018 10:04am
zsd-puma

I looked into third party ones a few years ago.
While they can be about the same in price, the third party ones tend to have much smaller claim limits on them. So for example the hourly rate for labour that they will pay is much lower. They don't generally include AA (or similar) cover either.

That's not to say there aren't good ones out there. But certainly the ones I looked at didn't offer the same level of cover as the factory backed one. You just have to download the policy booklet and read the T's&C's. You can get a policy booklet for the Land Rover one from your local dealer, most of the third party ones are available for download.

With all warranties, they won't cover your car unless you can show you've had it serviced by a garage, so if you service it yourself the warranty will be worthless. However you're not required to use Land Rover dealers for servicing to maintain the factory warranty, any garage will do.
Post #687352 18th Feb 2018 12:00pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
For me, i paid it for 3 years,

in the last year i had a new clutch, gearbox and bunch of other stuff...

the gearbox alone offset the 3 years of paying for it..

the car was also modified with a hybrid turbo - they still didn't mind warrantying things.

i only stopped paying as the car went from doing 6-7k miles / year to maybe 1-2k.
Post #687427 18th Feb 2018 8:49pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
I have had a Warrantywise one on another car - paid out on a leaking radiator OK. You can specify the level of cover and set the garage hourly rate with this one too.
Post #687547 19th Feb 2018 12:47pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Yes but stick to the Land Rover one.
Post #687587 19th Feb 2018 3:54pm
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
My factory warranty ran out today (although the car is currently in for new side steps reported last month) but have gone for the extended option including Landrover assist, offered by the dealer. I have used LR assist twice now and found them very good. But I will Be servicing myself from now on following correct schedule and LR approved parts. Hopefully nothing major will go wrong. I agree it is all a big gamble. Rolling Eyes 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #695001 20th Mar 2018 8:57pm
Low-Range

Canada 
extended warranty
Have made both choices. Most of the time it paid off. The most important thing to look at is what is included and what are some of the clauses that allow them to exclude a claim. For example I had a GM with a diesel. It went in for a new alternator, and after that it would burn out the glow plugs in about two months. As these were considered consumable, they did not want to replace them. Eventually they did because I was a pric. about it and had kept all receipts. But as I said make sure you look at what's included and what clauses are there for exclusion. One transfer case would probably pay for the warranty cost.
Post #695019 20th Mar 2018 9:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LRnovice

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Auto Belize Green
If you do decide to take out extended warranty check the exclusions very carefully. I took out an extended warranty buut they wouldnt pay for ANY of the repairs on my Landrover. Wear and tear sir. Well, unless its a design fault or a fault during manufacture why else would something fail?
Post #695899 24th Mar 2018 3:56pm
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
My question always - What do you want to accomplish by an extended warranty? You have a purpose, fine, you can calculate the odds. Take into account that insurances like the extended warranty will spend your money only to a very little extend back to anybody having a problem - the vast majority of your money will go to employees, stakeholder, management of the insurance company. What is the ratio of money collected to money spent on claims, 10 percent? So, 90 percent will go to something else, not what you would like to see. My path is always to insure things with major impact and threat to my life. If a bad case causes inconvenience only, never insure it. You make your living on the car, insure it properly. You don't, don't waste money on insurances (unless you are working at one). Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #697433 31st Mar 2018 2:19pm
m3vert

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 2.5 TD PU Stornoway Grey
My warranty provided by the garage I bought it at runs out next month.

I am an AA member through our bank, and was going to just increase the cover to get the Parts & Garage cover (extra 70 quid a year I think). That gives you up to 5 claims per year of a maximum 500quid a time if they cant repair your vehicle. Anyone else using this and had good or bad experience?? Thought it was a cheap alternative to a warranty?
Post #702333 22nd Apr 2018 12:57pm
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
iv just extended mine with land rover for a second time just for my peace of mind . its expensive to say the least but if a gearbox fails I don't have the facilities to repair it
Post #703053 25th Apr 2018 12:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>