↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Is it worth taking out an extended warranty?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
BobT

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Is it worth taking out an extended warranty?
My 110 XS Utility will be three years old at the end of March.
It’s done less than 5,000 miles.
Lloyd Land Rover have quoted me £610 for an extended warranty and £760 for the same plus Land Rover Assist.
Bearing in mind the small mileage I do I’m wondering if it’s worth it.
[/url]
Post #686699 15th Feb 2018 9:29am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It's a highly personal decision and I am sure that you will find those who say "yes" and those who say "no" in equal numbers, but when I was in your situation (albeit for a Disco2) I looked at the list of exclusions and decided that so little was actually covered that it really wasn't worth it.

Mind you my Disco had done over 60,000 miles when the 3-year warranty ran out, so I also figured that anything that was going to break would already have done so.
Post #686703 15th Feb 2018 9:36am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I'm in the same position as you or I will be in May when my 90 is three years old. It has covered 11,000 miles and the only warranty claim has been for a faulty horn so on its past history and low mileage I'm thinking not to go for extended warranty.

As an aside, were you automatically offered extended warranty by JLR or did you request it? Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #686704 15th Feb 2018 9:38am
BobT

Thanks for that, I’d never considered the exclusions, in fact I’ll have to look and see what they are.
Post #686705 15th Feb 2018 9:38am
BobT

discomog wrote:
I'm in the same position as you or I will be in May when my 90 is three years old. It has covered 11,000 miles and the only warranty claim has been for a faulty horn so on its past history and low mileage I'm thinking not to go for extended warranty.

As an aside, were you automatically offered extended warranty by JLR or did you request it?

Hi, yes Lloyd’s sent me an email yesterday, I’d bought it new from them.
Post #686707 15th Feb 2018 9:39am
Siwynne

England 
My 2013 xs usw had two years extended when I bought it two years ago. So far It’s had clutch input shaft. Three call outs for intercooler hoses a New cylinders Head, fuel pump and timing chain oiler and loads of bits and about 100 days hire car (dealership issue). In total about £20000
I will be extending it again in April this can be done for up to ten years.
I am however going to look at other warranty companies as landrover “buy” theirs. There may be cheaper with similar cover.
Post #686716 15th Feb 2018 9:57am
RichLech

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
I have taken out a couple of extended warranties in the past (Disco 3 & RRS) , but only for the first year of my ownership of a 3 or 4 year old vehicle. Once I am happy that the vehicle is basically reliable I drop the expensive warranty. This has worked for me. I never claimed on either extended warranty and have had no serious issues with the vehicles since.

If you read the various forum posts it is easy to terrify yourself into buying an expensive warranty. However, the many tens of thousands of people that never have a major expense do not tend to tell the forum about it. The forum is a sounding board for the small proportion of people who do have issues.

A personal view but it has worked for me. I could have spent several thousand on warranties. The way I look at it I now have those thousands "in the bank" should a major issue arise.
Post #686717 15th Feb 2018 9:57am
Mdm

United Kingdom 
after trying to use the warranty for a gearbox via lr its a waste of money. to many limits and get out clauses.

they tried to delay and gave excuse after excuse. not worth the money.

its not managed by lr but a separate firm so you can guess how good it is.
Post #686727 15th Feb 2018 11:05am
PK1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
It's really down to personal choice - i have kept the extended warranty going on my Puma and so far had the following
work done under warranty.

Brand New Gearbox
Brand New Engine
New gear lever
Turbo hose (replaced twice)
EGR (replaced twice)

all done on separate occasions with no issues at all........

Thumbs Up Defender 110 TDCi XS SW
Range Rover Sport HSE
Post #686751 15th Feb 2018 1:59pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
You need to read the terms carefully to see what it actually covers, the the Jaguar one I had, there were two levels of cover, a cheaper one and a more expensive one. The cheaper one didn't really cover very much. Even then it's still better than most of the aftermarket ones I've looked at, which generally have tiny claim limits on most things.

One big advantage is it's Europe wide, so if you travel to the continent a lot, it's quite cheap when you consider what separate European breakdown cover costs.

It's not managed by Land Rover, although it is underwritten by Land Rover, so the final decision rests with Land Rover.
Post #686759 15th Feb 2018 2:33pm
PumaPhil

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
I am in the same position, 3 years old in March, but with nearly 60'000 miles. It has been very reliable, serviced every 6'000, and undersealed since new. I am debating the extended warranty at about £700, plus the 60'000 mile service at about £450. Or ignore the warranty, service myself, and have the £1000 change left over ready for any breakdowns....
Post #686771 15th Feb 2018 3:00pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
My 130 was a used purchase just out of its 3 year warranty. The two years extended cover came as it was approved used from LR. Inside that time it wanted for nothing apart from some paint correction but that was on the usual paint warranty.

Lloyds sent me loads of info and pressure to buy a years extra cover and I declined. 1 week outside warranty and it sheared through the intercooler hose! This gave me the opportunity to buy and fit BAS hoses and updated intercooler, all for less than the price of the years cover. She has not given me any more trouble.

I would put the cash away in an account each year as a slush fund for issues. Wouldn't buy the warranty. Drive it regularly, service it regularly and rust proof it regularly. They like to be used. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #686778 15th Feb 2018 3:43pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
PumaPhil wrote:
plus the 60'000 mile service at about £450.

You don't have to have it serviced at an LR dealer to maintain the warranty. It just needs to be a reputable garage.
Post #686783 15th Feb 2018 4:08pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I think the smart thing to do is find a good independent to service it, put the saving over dealership pricing in a pot and add half the cost of a warranty. For the majority of people that should work ok. There will always be the few vehicles that need a new gearbox / engine / roof etc. but for me that is a risk worth taking. Now, a D3, D4 or RR is a different matter and I'd definitely buy some sort of warranty for one of them.
Post #686788 15th Feb 2018 4:38pm
AKL

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Firenze Red
I got a 2 year extended warranty as well as bought from Land Rover Used - got it back from service yesterday and they wouldn't cover the rust on side steps or mud flap bracket. Some have had work authorised and some not so relationship with dealer would also matter I guess. Whilst at dealer the person looking at corrosion had the words Hilton Group on their jacket. My advise would be to read the warranty paperwork thoroughly.
Post #686944 16th Feb 2018 1:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>