↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 50 of 84 <123 ... 495051 ... 828384>
Print this entire topic · 
nitram17

bilt
Thanks Zag..I am getting my xs sidesteps replaced under warranty and i thought this product may be of use initially to kill any rust on the inside of the steps..as we all know LR store their accessories in a special salt bath before fitting to shorten their lifespan and keep you in a job Laughing

I wonder if Atoms makeup is akin to fertan with which likes moisture to work?
How do you treat your tubular sidesteps?do you just fill the void with dino from the drain holes?I was thinking of drilling out the rivets fixing the endcaps so you can see the state of the inside then covering the inside in wax
I do think if the atom works like an rust atomizer it will be ideal for the bulkhead /door posts and the chassis voids anyway thanks for chasing up this product with bilts boffins Martin
Post #669294 6th Dec 2017 12:30pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Atom Mac query now addressed... Sort of, it is Interesting however if you can wash your car/bike and even brake discs with it as they say to hinder flash corrosion. Bilt Hamber are not prepared to say what the main ingredient or basis of Atom Mac is!! Unusual as other makes are quite open about the main ingredient e.g. If it is acid based, oil, wax, bitchumen based etc etc. It appears it maybe a VCI product which is a VERY thin "oil" based product and the water content is used to transport the product onto surfaces. Without Bilt Hamber being prepared to confirm this however it is a guess. I have never used it so cannot comment. I always like to know what is in something before I use it on my vehicle, especially brake discs.

Pretty pic time depending on your taste in the foreground Shocked I'm pretty confident you will like the VERY late registered Land Mark in the background though Wink Yes I did one a couple of weeks ago exacktly the same but it was an earlier reg!!

Click image to enlarge
Post #669708 8th Dec 2017 12:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
This one in from Wales today but it didn,t look anything like that a couple of hours ago... It was brown, had been wallowing in Welsh mud Shocked I wouldn,t have slept the night so I have given it a damn good clean, mainly so I can see the body and get at bits!

Now shiny on the top sides any way, I will do the hull some other time when I can face it Laughing

Click image to enlarge
Post #669856 9th Dec 2017 2:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Gave Zagato a bit of a challenge, a 100k+ miles Defender that lives in the Shropshire hills and is used daily on mud ( Censored ) covered roads. Got there at 12.00 ish. and he was shocked at the state of it. He sees too many low mileage investments and concours contenders. Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

By the time I was home he sent me pics of it looking amazingly clean!
I think that he'll rise to the challenge Thumbs Up Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #669930 9th Dec 2017 9:23pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Whilst on the black theme I moved onto another black motor after yours, an early Christmas present, a mint Yamaha FJR Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

0-60 2.7 seconds to challenge the two Supra's below... Maybe with the panniers and top box off. 155 mph max!

Had these two in later today just for contrast. 600BHP in one now rust proofed and 550BHP in the other Shocked also have a Discovery coming in next week and a 1970's SAAB 99 over Christmas to keep me occupied.

Click image to enlarge
Post #669932 9th Dec 2017 9:33pm
dickbowyer

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Epsom Green
Zagato wrote:
This weeks work, both very nice, love an orange Adventure Bow down

Click image to enlarge

Thanks Chris great work and luckily local for me too. Whatever you did to seal upper bodywork, no water coming in to either drivers or front passenger footwells when it rains for first time since I bought her! Still trying to make my mind up whether for or against snorkels!
Post #670811 13th Dec 2017 10:40pm
MJN110

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Montalcino Red
Hi Chris
I meant to ask when i met you what do you use to apply ACF50 with especially the tub cappings and rear cross member?
Thanks
Mike
Post #670998 15th Dec 2017 7:47am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Hi Mike Thumbs Up Just spray the rear crossmember and wipe over with a cloth. Use the yellow extension supplied to spray under the cappings. Any more intricate areas you can spray and wipe off or paint on Very Happy

Thanks Dick, glad the elements are staying out Thumbs Up
Post #671128 15th Dec 2017 9:50pm
MJN110

Sorry I should have been more clear, I thought you would have used a non aerosol applicator as it would be more cost effective for you when applying on a daily basis like you do.
Post #671166 16th Dec 2017 6:07am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Yes it would be a lot cheaper Mike but the pump is useless, you need the aerosol pressure to get up and under the rear cappings. Apologies if you have bought the pump not the aerosol but you can use it other areas. My walk around the vehicle patter comes out automatically I have said it so many times when clients pick up, I usually say can of ACF-50 and the instructions on this thread go back years so not easy to find. I need to write a hand out guide when I get time.
Post #671190 16th Dec 2017 10:53am
MJN110

Hi Chris
I am sure you will have told me.
I just thought you would have an adapted spray gun set up compressor driven.
Post #671294 16th Dec 2017 8:50pm
jfh

South Africa 2007 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Chawton White

Click image to enlarge

Please check this area on bonnet, paint very thin. It was lightly corroded at the rear where you can't really see. I only discovered it when I removed bonnet to apply some stuff.
Luckily I found it early.
Post #672353 20th Dec 2017 9:55pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Before Zagato - had to remove front carpets every winter as they got soaked.

After Zagato - both footwells are dry even after torrential rain.

That is a great bonus to the extensive rust proofing.

A great job from a chap who is a pleasure to deal with Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

The USW in it's natural habitat. Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #673426 26th Dec 2017 1:29pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Very nice to meet you 'Shropshiredefender' Thumbs Up

Defender owners can no longer feel so hard done by when other new vehicles are also not undersealed by manufacturers. Many new cars have no rust prevention from new and the supposed protective covers are just mud traps. Cars are disposeable items but if you want to change suspension items for instance on a 5 year old BMW that has seen salt roads, it,s a hell of a job due to the electrolysis from the ally components. It makes getting your normal car undersealed for £350 money well spent!

Two three year old motors, now protected Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #678327 14th Jan 2018 11:36am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
This is a bit special as it is in such nice condition. A 2006 TD5. Nicest original one I have had in.

Click image to enlarge
Post #682255 28th Jan 2018 11:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 50 of 84 <123 ... 495051 ... 828384>