↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 300tdi oil pressure switch replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
donmacn

300tdi oil pressure switch replacement
hi guys,

blah blah blah, long story short, my oil pressure switch is broken - nay, disintegrated! I was going to see if the wiring needed changed, but the top of the switch was hanging off, and then fell apart in my hand.

Using my advanced diagnostic skills, I can tell that a new switch is needed. Haven't done this one before. Apart from it being a slightly awkward location, is there anything I need to know before tackling this? Pattern or Genuine part? Hints and tips?

I guess I'm particularly wondering if it's going to be a Censored to remove the broken switch? It might not have been out of there in 'quite a long time'.

Many thanks

Donald Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #671830 18th Dec 2017 8:52pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
I did this on mine a little while ago. I seem to remember it was easiest laying under the car and reaching up around the filter with a ring spanner.

Obviously be prepared for dribbles of oil so don't put your head directly under it.

Given genuine replacement is about 7 quid I would recommend going genuine.

Good luck! Thumbs Up Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #671847 18th Dec 2017 9:44pm
DieselBeast

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Java Black
You can get it from above if the ground is a little chilly. I forget the size but i'd advise a spanner as the spade connection can get squashed with a socket (Unless you have a deep socket)

It's a 5 min job, as soon as you've cracked it off it should be finger tight and same to put the new one on.

Side note: I've listed a box of bits for sale on here and it just so happens I have a brand new oil pressure switch made by intermotor up for grabs.
Post #671888 18th Dec 2017 10:25pm
donmacn

Thanks guys - maybe not so bad then.

DieselBeast - I'd probably have taken you up on that switch if we weren't heading for the Christmas weekend and the postage/holiday delays that will inevitably mean. I'm up in the Highlands, so all the couriers will take fright. I'll see if I can get one in town tomorrow. We have a main dealer - and I'm quite looking forward to asking if they've a 300tdi part in stock! Donald

(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #671899 18th Dec 2017 10:43pm
DieselBeast

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Java Black
Yes I didn't think of the wait. Hopefully they have one or can get one soon.
It is a nice feeling to fit a LR part too. Feels like you're giving the old girl a treat.
Post #671909 18th Dec 2017 10:52pm
donmacn

Well..... that was fun:

Went into the main dealer in town. I had to ask: "Do you still have a parts department?" There was no sign of it - to be fair they are extending the showroom and they are temporarily buried away in a building site.

Anyway, out comes the guy, I told him what I was after, he went away to check and came back: "We don't have it in stock, but we can get it from Land Rover for tomorrow. £30.70." .. or £37.10, I can't really remember, I was so gobsmacked. At this point I said I'd go and try my usual independent. £6.00, and in stock.

Off topic rant now: While in the shiny dealership, standing next to a £70k Discovery, I counted about 20 staff, most of them sitting behind desks tapping away on computers. I guess the £70k Discovery, and all its expensive neighbours, is to pay those salaries.

On one hand, I can see that LR have achieved a lot - really moving the brand up-market where they can charge premium prices and maximise the return on all of their assets. Reasonable jobs boosting a local economy. On the other hand it surely leaves a huge gap in the market for a 'no nonsense' off-road capable truck. I know that's what Ineos and Projekt Grenadier is all about, but if they can hope to turn a profit doing that I don't understand why LR couldn't - given they wouldn't be coming from a standing start.

Rant over! Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #671973 19th Dec 2017 12:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1