↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Looking at new engine options for Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Miggit

United Kingdom 
Whistle I suggest that you look at the MOT /DOT or what ever they call themselves this week, regarding engine swaps / emissions... I know that if your have a 1998 car then you need to meet a certain standard inc cats, etc. However if you fit a pre 1975 engine to your 1998 car the at the time of testing it has to meet the standards set for a 1975 engine...which is a visual check only... no meters, no rev the nuts off it... no cats required, legally. So fitting an older engine has a lot of advantages.. All you need is to get the engine verified for it date of manufacture, of which there are companies that will provide a certificate to those ends for MOT testing purposes....

Not having to meet current emission regulations is definitely a bonus and opens up a lot of possibilities for the induction side of things.. That doesn't mean that you have to use a carb set up, you could have a full ecu injection system, but if at the centre is a pre 1993 block then you wont need cats for starters and if it's a pre 1975 block then it wont even need to go on a meter... If you're going to shell out squillions on engine swaps, wouldn't it be better to divorce your car from as many regulations as possible??

And regarding prices, I did a little digging and an LS3 in the UK is around £6500, but you have to add flywheel, ECU (at £1000) and a few other bits to boot, rough estimate is nearer to £8500 Shocked

Bearing in mind that the Chevy 350 has been made for 50 odd years, I'd get an old block and then if required fit all the latest induction parts, ie. injection etc. if that's they way you want to go... but you can get up to 600 BHP with carbs... and no temperamental computers to throw hissy fits and stop your gallop... RRC 2.4 TD... it's either a stretched 90 or shrunken 110!!
ML 270CDI
Post #621287 3rd May 2017 12:48pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
bankz5152 wrote:
What about the Ford Coyote 5L V8? Cheaper engine, plenty of power for a Defender (I think they may even be more economical than the LS) plus apparently you can use the transmission/clutch from the 2007+ Mustangs auto or manual.

Or the Defender Puma transmission, as it's basically the same box used in the Mustang.
Post #621290 3rd May 2017 12:54pm
Miggit

United Kingdom 
Ford Ecoboost 3.5lt V6.... 365 bhp and 420 lbs.ft and a lot shorter than a V8.. more space less head scratching Wink RRC 2.4 TD... it's either a stretched 90 or shrunken 110!!
ML 270CDI
Post #621294 3rd May 2017 12:59pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
What have you got Mighit?
Post #621295 3rd May 2017 1:01pm
Miggit

United Kingdom 
^ if that's aimed at me.. I'd have thought that my avitar and signature would have given it away Wink

But I'm looking to drop an OM605 in to the old bus at some point... although I'm waiting to see what happens with the latest Diesel Witch hunt throws up... All I want is bags of torque and below 2000 rpm... that's rather Diesel territory not Petrol... But who knows... I could go big V8... just not bloody ECU's.... Whistle I've just got rid of the L322 and I'm rather enjoying ignorant bliss Laughing RRC 2.4 TD... it's either a stretched 90 or shrunken 110!!
ML 270CDI
Post #621298 3rd May 2017 1:10pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I once had an Overfinch RRC with the 5.7 in it, it went rather well.

Why not go for the 606? There's a member on here who has put one in his 110 Cool

It's the one in this video.

Post #621319 3rd May 2017 2:18pm
Miggit

United Kingdom 
Simple.. if you actually go on the diesel pump uk site and look at the converted pumps for the OM606 and OM605 they have the same output levels... I do realise that there will be a slight loss in power due to 1 cylinder less, but it's a small price for a lump that's way shorter and easier to squeeze in... After all, I believe that the OM606 conversion is suffering from a few clearance clarence problems cos the transmission is a wee bit too long, and I believe that the Defender has a flat bulkhead, which is more than can be said for the RRC, which has some of the engine tucked under the back of the engine bay..

Or put it another way, my car has a 2" body lift and it's tight to get the rear rocker cover off, I wouldn't want to try it on a standard car Rolling Eyes

And the RRC conversion is rumored to have problems with the oil filter, which then needs to be remote mounted with a lot of head scratching, if I can get almost the same power, with a few less torques but an easier install..... RRC 2.4 TD... it's either a stretched 90 or shrunken 110!!
ML 270CDI
Post #621337 3rd May 2017 3:07pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
zsd-puma wrote:
bankz5152 wrote:
What about the Ford Coyote 5L V8? Cheaper engine, plenty of power for a Defender (I think they may even be more economical than the LS) plus apparently you can use the transmission/clutch from the 2007+ Mustangs auto or manual.

Or the Defender Puma transmission, as it's basically the same box used in the Mustang.

Really? Surprising! I wouldnt have thought the Puma tranny could take the power. Good to know though, maybe a few uprated bits would be needed and saves having to get an adaptor for the tx box
Post #621341 3rd May 2017 3:40pm
L110CDL

England 
This is a cracking thread and i'm having an awesome time reading it Whistle 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #621492 3rd May 2017 10:52pm
psimpson7

Australia 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Loire Blue
Sensible advice from me below!

I believe you have a Puma? If so just remap it and if that's still not enough fit a larger intercooler and bigger turbo.

It will save you probably somewhere between 15 and 50k depending on which ever engine you decide to fit.

Fitting an old 350 chev or any similar era engine is going to be a nightmare. You will have canbus to the instrument pack you will have to deal with. That is involved enough where you can link the engine canbus to the dash canbus which you can do with the LS engines. It will be far harder with an older engine. You cant swap out instruments easily in a Puma dash either. 2001 90 HT 6.0LS/6spdAuto.
2003 90 td5 soft top.
2014 90 XS SW 2.2.
Post #621507 3rd May 2017 11:29pm
pannawonica

Australia 
BAS used to do a puma 3.2 conversion, potentially more or less big block torque and it looked like a factory installation. Not cheap, however when was anything very good and cheap! Thumbs Up
Post #621525 4th May 2017 2:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12