↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Leather trim upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
Leather trim upgrades
I'm on the verge of starting my 110 refurb, which thanks to this forum and lots of reading around subjects, should be a whole lot easier! As I've got so much inspiration from what people have done on here I will be posting my own exploits for others to learn from (and for yet more guidance!)

I'm focusing on the interior mainly with new LR heated full leather seats and a second row TDCI seat conversion using YRM metal components. Leather cubby, reline the headliner, fit a custom console setup and upgrade audio-visual system. I have full leather second row seats to go in. Sound-Proofing and recarpeting also planned. Various electrical upgrades including alarm mod to include central locking function and electric front windows. Full chassis treatment to hopefully give it years more motoring. The list seems endless and can't help feeling that biting off too much!

My main question now concerns leather trim parts for door cards and dash components as would like to finish things off with these. Can anyone recommend good suppliers of these components. I will have to fit them myself to keep costs down. There is a supplier on eBay J F Customs that seems to sell every possible leather trim cover for the defender but not sure how good these will be. Buying the cards from new is too expensive for me with everything else planned.

Any advice/experience gladly received.
Post #611284 21st Mar 2017 11:55pm
jr1104

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Rioja Red
No specific advice from me I'm afraid, but I'm interested in doing this as well and have the j-f-customs items saved in my ebay list!

Will be interesting to see what others think of them.

Good luck with the project!
Post #611308 22nd Mar 2017 7:24am
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I can't recommend exmoor highly enough.

I've recently upgraded my front seats using one of their premium upgrade kits, and having never done anything like that before was slightly worried about how well they would look. I've shown a few people and they can't believe they aren't factory or at least off the shelf.

The leather dash trims we got from eBay. I've seen them fitted badly and it put me off but they offered no quibble return so gave it a go. Again I think it's in the way they are fitted but they came out really nicely.

I would like to get the exmoor leather door card trims next so I can't comment on the quality yet, but I will be expecting them to be fantastic.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #611320 22nd Mar 2017 9:11am
Michaels Defender

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 V8 Petrol XS CSW Auto Orkney Grey
I have used j-f-customs for my window surrounds and 'B' post covers on my 110, it is not easy if you have not done any leather work before, but I am pleased at the results and I would recommend black stitch so that if you don't get it perfect its not just as noticeable Thumbs Up
Post #611323 22nd Mar 2017 9:23am
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I bought all of my leather dash parts, leather Momo, Leather front Recaros, rear leather seats and black Alcantara headlining from LRI Solutions in Rye. I couldn't be happier, the quality of it all is superb and has turned my interior into something quite luxurious. Thumbs Up Those seats are so comfortable, I drove from the UK home to the south of France and could have kept going. Not cheap but you do get what you pay for.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #611332 22nd Mar 2017 10:04am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ What seats are they, are they still heated,

I like both looks going on there, nice work Smile
Post #611339 22nd Mar 2017 10:19am
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Two stage heated full leather Recaro Sport seat pair. £3,474.00. From LRI Solutions. They kindly gave 5% forum discount on all of it and gave a pretty good buy back price on my original interior.

No problems with these seats rubbing on the side pillar like others I've seen on here and after adding the Mud rails, I can recline them much further, enough for a good kip Very Happy although I need to get out to get my hand on the knob as its a bit tight.

I cant get their website to work at the moment.
Post #611340 22nd Mar 2017 10:26am
Oakseywick

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Michaels Defender wrote:
I have used j-f-customs for my window surrounds and 'B' post covers on my 110, it is not easy if you have not done any leather work before, but I am pleased at the results and I would recommend black stitch so that if you don't get it perfect its not just as noticeable Thumbs Up

Any pictures? What glue did you use?
Post #611346 22nd Mar 2017 10:45am
Michaels Defender

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 V8 Petrol XS CSW Auto Orkney Grey
I used a contact adhesive, I think it was evo-stick and I will post some pictures hopefully this evening
Michael
Post #611352 22nd Mar 2017 11:17am
Oakseywick

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Thanks Thumbs Up
Post #611358 22nd Mar 2017 11:38am
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
Michaels Defender wrote:

Thanks for this info. Was considering which stitch to go with and like your idea of using black stitch. Was going white stitch to match everything else however being a bit of a perfectionist know it will bug me if not done right. I think the genuine leather door cards in my friends tdci adventure are black stick anyway. Fraser from Rugged Guide suggests getting the vinyl interior cards from Exmoor trim as leather effect as possibly more hard wearing and cheaper. Not sure as yet what to do. I have got time as all the other work will probably take me ages! Was it very fiddly making the parts fit/glueing them in place?
Post #611531 22nd Mar 2017 11:51pm
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
Riverboy wrote:
I bought all of my leather dash parts, leather Momo, Leather front Recaros, rear leather seats and black Alcantara headlining from LRI Solutions in Rye. I couldn't be happier, the quality of it all is superb and has turned my interior into something quite luxurious. Thumbs Up Those seats are so comfortable, I drove from the UK home to the south of France and could have kept going. Not cheap but you do get what you pay for.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I am getting my seats from LRI as good value full leather LR seats. I find a lot of their stuff quite pricey however and can find things elsewhere for less of the same quality. I have a Td5 so they don't do as much for the cabin. Like your set up however. Very smart. I'm sure I've seen your defender on a youtube video!
Post #611532 22nd Mar 2017 11:54pm
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
meeerrrk wrote:
I can't recommend exmoor highly enough.

I've recently upgraded my front seats using one of their premium upgrade kits, and having never done anything like that before was slightly worried about how well they would look. I've shown a few people and they can't believe they aren't factory or at least off the shelf.

The leather dash trims we got from eBay. I've seen them fitted badly and it put me off but they offered no quibble return so gave it a go. Again I think it's in the way they are fitted but they came out really nicely.

I would like to get the exmoor leather door card trims next so I can't comment on the quality yet, but I will be expecting them to be fantastic.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

looks very nice indeed. Can't wait for mine to look this mint!
Post #611533 22nd Mar 2017 11:55pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
+1 for JF Customs. I'm actually the one that supplied half the parts for them to pattern! No need to thank me Whistle Whistle

I had their leather work in my 90 for the best part of a year, on road, off road, got knocked about and mucky, no damage to the leather at all, just wipes clean. I did however use Autoglym leather balm on it all every 3 months or so.

The only thing they do that isnt great are their sun visor covers, the velcro makes a horrible noise when you move the visors around and doesnt look great when they are down. Up they look fine.

They also do leather headlinings (bit much imo) but if you ask nicely they will do Alcantara ones for a similar price.

I'm contemplating doing my 110 again, but not sure as the interior on it is actually pretty mint...
Post #611598 23rd Mar 2017 1:39pm
JOHNT01670

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zermatt Silver

Click image to enlarge

Happy with mine (seats, cubby door cards)from bespoke at harrogate

Click image to enlarge
 2006 TD5
2002 Honda Transalp 650
1995 Yamaha Vmax 1200
2014 Nissan Juke (wifes)
Post #611627 23rd Mar 2017 3:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top