↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Bankz' 2004 Defender 110 Double Cab Pick Up XS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Bankz' 2004 Defender 110 Double Cab Pick Up XS
Though I'd share some pics and things of my new 110 DCPU. Owned an 02 TD5 90 for the past 5 years but after getting it almost exactly how I wanted it I found I was lacking in space! So decided to upgrade to a 110. Found a lovely example just north of Newcastle, almost factory bar a couple mods/additions. Even had the original LR headunit and logbook!

I wanted to do a similar thing with the 110 as I did with my 90. A good balance between off road capability and on road comfort and drivability. Heres how it was when I bought it late last year. 2004 Defender 110 DCPU XS, 95k, 2 owners, full service history, spent its whole life in one small town up North.

Overall it is pretty solid. Theres a dent in the door and one in the wing but hey it adds to the character! The throttle pedal has been rewired as it chaffed through the factory loom above the GB, all works as it should though. The chassis was covered in surface rust but no holes or damage.

The interior was very clean as well, no damage to anything and the AC works, its not fantastic but it works!

Click image to enlarge

First thing that had to go where the wheels/tyres they howled like no tomorrow it was unbearable. Opted for Cooper Discoverer STT Pros 285/75/16 on Anthracite Bowler alloys, good on the road, not too loud or rumbley but excellent off road, luckily the speedo is now bang on!

Next thing was the clutch spring mod, makes it so much easier to drive! Also fitted a Slickshift at the same time which also improves gear changes.

Click image to enlarge

Made a cheap cover for the loadspace (£50 all in Very Happy) as when funds allow I want to fit the NJ Ali locking top cover

Still had my 90 at this point so I started swapping a few bits over such as the Corbeau bucket seats, steering wheel etc..

LED surround lighting, again swapped off the 90

Click image to enlarge

Interior taking shape

Click image to enlarge

Quickly and almost neatly fitted the seat heater wiring into the dash. I'll be using the existing LR heated seat switches/loom to fit heated seats in the rear at some point

TD5inside and Allisport delivery Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Old turbo coming off

Click image to enlarge

This was a nightmare as the turbo/downpipe bolts where seized solid which ended with me doing this Shocked

Click image to enlarge

TD5inside/CRTurbos Hybrid Turbo fitted, makes a lovely noise! For £875, you get a hybrid turbo, boost box and a bespoke map (should be done it the next two weeks! Very Happy)

Currently running about 18psi with the Allisport full size LIFT intercooler and Allisport blue hoses with a Pipercross air filter. Once the boost box/map is done that will be increased to about 24psi.

Provent 200 Catch Can fitted -

Also decided on the Allisport stainless 'Bullet' mid section instead of a total straight through. While the complete straight through is the best, it can be a bit loud on the motorway! This is much quieter but still has some bark when you put your foot down, coupled with a Bosal mild steel de-cat pipe and a complete EGR and EGR Cooler delete.

Click image to enlarge

Since the tyres are so big and the rear dampers where leaking it was time for a suspension upgrade. In the form of Terrafirma medium load springs and big bore dampers. Had excellent results with the standard Medium Load set up on my 90 and for the price you can't complain!

Click image to enlarge

Remember with TF shocks you MUST remove these spring cups or the shocks will fail

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Sits much better but only raised up about 1"

Click image to enlarge

I found my fuel filter head was heavily corroded so replaced with a billet ali GORE unit, lovely bit of kit

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Alpine sub and Infinity speaker/tweeter combo. Factory LR speakers are just horrific

TF RTC Damper & Paddocks 8mm steel steering guard going on

The RTC damper is meant for 35"+ tyres but it does benefit smaller tyres as well as some of the stress is taken off the PAS pump + makes for more stable steering at higher speeds.

Stripped out the rear to start the soundproofing and found this mess Big Cry Big Cry

Pretty bad galvanic corrosion between the seat box and the rear seat mounting points. Luckily the actual steel mounts where in good condition. So had to repair the holes.

Cut the dead ali away and made up some repair panels to go in place,

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Came out quite well in the end. Lots of hammerite and lots of Sikaflex to seal everything up and stop the corrosion getting worse.

Finally got on with the soundproofing. First layer of Fatmat Megamat, its cheaper and imo better than Dynamat.

Then a full layer of 3mm closed cell foam as this will not soak up water but does add a lot of insulation and soundproofing. Then a layer of 6mm foam over the top in some areas

Click image to enlarge

As it stands now after a P&P day!

Click image to enlarge

The Bowlers do like to get full of clay Laughing Laughing

Once all the power upgrades are done it should be running around 180 - 200bhp and 380nm of torque. While yes in the long run that will probably kill the gearbox, when it does die I will be going to Syncro for a Duraspec R380 and possibly TX box aswell, should be able to happly run 450nm+ at the point.

Still got a lot to do but thats it for now, i'm sure i've forgotten a few things as i've paraphrased it from my LZ build thread. Any questions let me know!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #599547 6th Feb 2017 1:33pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Welcome to Def2, some lovely work and great wheels! Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #599567 6th Feb 2017 2:27pm
bankz5152

Cheers bud! A lot of useful info here! Smile Smile

Lil update. Bought some Upol Raptor, air compressor, shutz gun and the various primers/etchers to spray a few bits.

I want to paint the steering guard, NAS rear step (just been delivered Very Happy) the silver chequer plate, light guards and the headlight surrounds/front grill. The idea behind this is to keep some of the parts looking smart while adding a layer of protection.

Much more to come such as a full external cage, rock sliders, AFN Full Winch bumper + Winchmax, ali tank guard, wrap around diff guards, high back rear seats (how the hell do you even fit these? I can't work it out), custom cut Raptor dash, twin Southdown snorkels (its got to BREATH with all that boost! Laughing Razz ) further ICE upgrades and a rear Ashcroft LSD.
Post #599590 6th Feb 2017 3:53pm
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
Brilliant thread, keep the pictures coming! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #599601 6th Feb 2017 4:54pm
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Great progress there, I like the new turbo Cool

Do those Corbeau seats have removable bases?
Post #599808 7th Feb 2017 1:23pm
bankz5152

Cheers bud! They do not, which is a little annoying sometimes, I had the same set up on my 90 that was no issue.

Just got to fit a new bigger battery, an Anderson connector (for jumping and the like) and an Aux fuse box then its highly unlikely ill ever have to remove the seats anyway. I mean how often do you need to look at the ECU& battery anyway? lol

Anyone got any suggestions on how to protect the paint?
Post #599810 7th Feb 2017 1:26pm
L110CDL

England 
Sorry cant help you out on that one Crying or Very sad

Welcome Bankz Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #600213 8th Feb 2017 10:20pm
JOW240725

Protect the paint... From corrosion or scratches? James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Post #600232 8th Feb 2017 11:07pm
bankz5152

L110CDL wrote:
Sorry cant help you out on that one Crying or Very sad

Welcome Bankz Thumbs Up

Cheers! Very Happy

Yeah scratches and the like. The paint on this one is rather nice, well it was until I met a low hanging tree branch...

Few bits arrived in the post!

Naturally got cracking preping the bits I want to paint first, steering guard and some chequer plate. Started with the wire wheel on the grinder, then moved onto the 160grit paper on the belt sander

Click image to enlarge

All shiny and keyed Smile

Click image to enlarge

Anyone know if the Upol degrease has to be diluted first?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #600316 9th Feb 2017 11:30am
Gutch1985

England 
Looking good mate love the seats
Post #601165 12th Feb 2017 1:15pm
JOW240725

I can't find it now but I read somewhere about getting vehicles wrapped in clear anti scratch, also a hard wax polish may help. Might need to do a separate thread to get the right people's attention for more expertise Thumbs Up James
Post #601189 12th Feb 2017 4:05pm
bankz5152

So after a weekend of sanding, cleaning, preping and spraying my first Raptor coated bits are done! Came out rather well I think Smile

Snow Cowl -

Headlight Surround & Grill -

Click image to enlarge

Rear Quarter Plate -

Rear Corner Plate -

Front -

Havnt refitted the steering guard yet, as I think I'll give that a third coat considering it will spend most in harms way.

Overall I think Raptor is a very good product, it's very easy to apply and very easy to get your desired texture.

I used two bottles for the following -

x1 Coat back of steering guard
x2 Front steering guard
x2 On each headlight surround
x2 Front grill
x2 On all chequer plate
x2 Con snow cowl
x1 Normal coat on NAS step plate
x1 'Grip' coat on NAS step plate - Black dry silica sand added, VERY grippy!
x2 On NAS step chassis support brackets - Mainly done for future proofing/corrosion resistance
Plus various test panels

Still got 2/3 of a can of #4Grip coating left and about 1/4 can of #8Acid Etch left, so pretty decent value imo. Only thing that is a bit of a pain is the flashing off/recoat time is 1 hour, also after an hour once mixed the Raptor starts to harden in the bottle. So what ever you plan on spraying you ideally need one bottle per coat to minimise waste.

Got a fair bit more to Raptor over the coming months -

Front bumper - As yet undecided but leaning toward the AFN Bullbar winch
Rock Sliders
Wing Chequer Plate
NAS Rear Step
NJI Aluminium pick up boot lid
Snorkel's
Loadspace - Currently all chequer plate and looks a bit tatty, even though once the boot lid is on I wont see it... :rolleyes:
Loadspace pull out drawer system - Less of a drawer, more of a tray on some heavy duty runners for ease of load/access
Contemplating doing the whole rollcage as well
Maybe the light guards just to reinforce them a bit

Should keep all the protective off road bits safe and looking smart!

Now for some fun stuff!

Click image to enlarge

Jose came and mapped the 110! According to him should be sitting on 190bhp & 430nm torque SurprisedVery HappyVery Happy Currently running 22psi. It shifts but I can't help feeling it isnt quite as quick as my 90, or maybe I just can't remember driving the 90 :rolleyes: that said there is NO lag what so ever, foot down and your on full boost in milliseconds

Either way I've got to whittle out the airbox so it can get a more air a bit quicker...

Plus good news is, hes mapped christ knows how many TD5s and only had one reported gearbox/TX break and that was during a race... So should last as long as I treat it right Very Happy

Next time he's in the UK I may have him set up 'Dual Maps' one normal sensible map and one balls out one, or 'sport' map haha :pVery Happy

Also went for the slightly, yet awesome popcorn limiter Very HappyCool though due to the Allisport bullet box it's not as noticable as it could be, soooo I may change for a complete straight thru! Very Happy I'll get some videos up when I can with the new GoPro!

Post #601431 13th Feb 2017 12:06pm
bankz5152

Got a fair bit of work done over the weekend! Been planning to pull the inlet manifold off for a while to give it a good clean now all the other performance upgrades are in place. Surprisingly easy, from what I read most people find it a ballache to remove due to the location of the bolts but I got to all of em pretty easily. Was off in less than 30 mins!

Start to remove -

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Didnt realise the fuel cooler had loctite on the bolts, came off quite easy though

And off!

Time for a bath! Soaked for 30 mins in some Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner, jetwashed, repeat then a rinse of degreaser

Click image to enlarge

Forgot to get a pic of the 97k worth of gunk that had built up in there! The inlet ports where pretty caked in gunk and there was a fair bit in the main area too. Now all clean Smile I did forget to buy a new EGR blank - Inlet gasket... So I had to make one from some boxes I had hanging around, new proper one en route.

New Injector harness going in as I had some fault codes crop up but someone clearly used a sh!te gasket and RTV instead of a quality gasket Mad Mad

Click image to enlarge

30 mins of cleaning and its off and new harness in

Click image to enlarge

EGR Blank on the exhaust manifold was leaking Sad somehow the bolt had worked its way loose, no amount of turning would budge it!

Click image to enlarge

Which turned into a dreaded exhaust manifold off job Shocked through some miracle I didnt snap a single stud! All came off with ease, except one which cam out of the head with ease. Replaced with an uprated Wurth stud, all nuts replaced with copper flashed ones, for easy removal next time.

Also managed to just nudge the A/C system forward without having to remove it, left just enough space to pull the manifold off.

Refitted a new/old OEM manifold, dewebbed and machined flat. Should keep the warping at bay at least for a while...

Click image to enlarge

Also fitted a Forge Motorsport actuator, holds boost more stable at max boost/revs also comes on boost slightly quick and much smoother overall. Happily set at 22psi.

Click image to enlarge

Go faster stickers Very Happy

Road test, though I think my Nanocom may be misreading! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Probably down to the boost box, waiting on an uprated MAP sensor from Jose and the appropriate map adjustments.

New Euroflo back box en route as mine is in a poor state as well as a stainless straight through, I miss the noise!!

Post #603558 21st Feb 2017 12:46pm
Boost

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Arles Blue
321 bar, 4,656 psi. Cool. Is that 150mph from re-entry to the Earth's atmosphere? Laughing

How do you rate the U-Pol Raptor stuff mate?

That aircon dash and those Bowler wheels! Thud

Has the new turbo's compressor housing been hydro-dipped too?

Never driven a td5 but I bet yours moves Cool
Post #605364 27th Feb 2017 9:59pm
bankz5152

Yep! Laughing Laughing

Raptor, havnt really had a chance to test it, has stay dry for 36 hours at least, then 7 days to fully cure before you can actually start 'using' it. So far yeah pretty good, easy to apply, the prep work is long but it needs doing and needs doing well.

Havnt used the AC either as its been winter! Its bloody loud though Laughing

Yeah I guess so, comes like that as standard from TD5inside! It's no slow pony for a 3 tonne truck haha
Post #605490 28th Feb 2017 11:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>