United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Arles Blue
The AC dash is so nice Whistle

That Gore fuel filter bracket too Cool

And the Bowler wheels Thud

Consider donating to my landy fund too? Big Cry
Post #608046 9th Mar 2017 12:59am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
haha everyone seems to be loving the AC Dash! Havnt even used it yet! I am loving your build as well, inspiring really getting so much power from such an old engine!

The Gore bracket was a no brainer, genuine kit £109 Gore kit £100 will probably outlast the rest of the car Laughing

Few more updates!

Raptor Round Two!

NAS Step painted with the HVLP gun with Raptor

Click image to enlarge

Texture is quite nice, equally easy to apply just more time consuming

Click image to enlarge

And Fitted!

Wing top chequer plate, has to be fitted I use the wings so often for tools, standing, etc...
Shutz gun x2 coats then a final coat with black silica sand added for extra grip!

Test fit -

Steering guard fitted, x3 coats of Raptor in the shutz gun, should stand up to some abuse!

Dixon Fabrications Rock Sliders, excellent quality and cheap for what they are. Very well made indeed.

Click image to enlarge

Final coat with sand added for extra grip when muddy!

Sills looked a bit poorly when I went to fit the sliders so they got a touch up

Click image to enlarge

Buzzweld CIO gives a very nice finish -

Click image to enlarge

New TF 1" bumper stop spacers -

Britpart Embarassed swing away carrier, can't argue for £125 Whistle

NJI Ali top cover, not cheap but no one else makes anything similar. At least I can keep stuff in the boot when its fitted!

Will also be getting the Raptor treatment, plain chequer plate looks a bit agri to me

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #608125 9th Mar 2017 1:31pm
Falcon

New Zealand 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Indus Silver
Nice post, really informative.
How do you find the coopers in the mud though? Mine are terrible! I think the traction control on the pumas can really hinder the self clean of the tires sometimes.
Post #609278 14th Mar 2017 6:20am
bankz5152

Brilliant. Considerably better than the old STT Pros, I've got TC in my TD5 and use more of a driving aid than anything else, I still drive it as though it isnt fitted.

Big update, including an incident Whistle

Started work on the Ali top cover, took a fair while to properly key up, the grinder was red hot by the time I finished!

Took a whole can plus a bit extra to get full coverage with the Acid Etch, Grip coating was also used around the edges, hinge and lock.

Masking up neatly took just as long, got it 99% perfect, few little bits need touching up around the edges and the lock handle

Click image to enlarge

Two coats of Raptor, one bottle per coat! Shocked 55psi with the Shutz, gave the texture I wanted

Click image to enlarge

Swing away carrier is on plus a brand new 285/75 Cooper Pro tyre on a 16x8 Anthracite Steel Wheel, wasnt buying another Bowler just in case it got nicked

With the tyre on the departure angle is ruined, so much so the carrier swung open, snapped the securing cable and put a small dent above the fuel filler! So next time I go off road the spare will come off and sit in/on the back.

Good thing is though the NAS rear step isnt half bad, it does dig in a little but not like a plough, a small slider for it would help though.

Few more pics and videos from the day at Elham -

Not sure its meant to be this way up, but certainly looks at home! Very Happy

Secured it to my mates landy stop it rolling down when we flipped it, was in gear handbrake on but cant be too careful!

Damage was less than expected, no dents just scratches and the window popped out but undamaged

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Looks better already after a quick clean up!

Click image to enlarge

Going to try some polish on it for now, then get those bits sprayed up at some point. Also probably going to push up the roll cage :pVery Happy

I did notice a small chip in the Bowlers though SadSadSad it's small but there

Heres where the swing away swung open trying to climb, would have made it if I kept the momentum up!

You can see where I screwed up, wheels where facing far more left than I actually thought... Whistle

Video of the recovery. Luckily we had a Mud Monsters marshal and two guys who run winch challenges often so was in good hands! 4 winches strapped on later and im right way up! Lucky I fit the sliders and the NAS Step!!

Overall I think i've built a very capable landy! Did very well at the site bar the obvious roll over Whistle Still getting used to it off road seeing what it can and can't do in comparison to my 90. Departure angle and break over angle are certainly worse but not much I can do there without some pretty extreme modifications I'd rather avoid.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #609403 14th Mar 2017 3:09pm
L110CDL

England 
Glad you and your landy are ok Thumbs Up always good to have less damage than you first think and a bonus that the window didn't break Very Happy A big learning session and makes you better for the next outing Whistle Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #609940 16th Mar 2017 10:07pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
The roll over looked so innocent on the video, just goes to show how careful you have to be! Glad not to much damage Thumbs Up And really good recovery setting it down so gently.

And there was you just the other day asking how to protect again scratches! Well and truly showing battle scars now! Thumbs Up Bow down James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #610000 17th Mar 2017 9:41am
Falcon

New Zealand 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Indus Silver
That really was a fantastic recovery, it didn't look like much that got you rolled over though. It makes me want to be more careful maybe Shocked
Post #612471 27th Mar 2017 10:10am
bankz5152

Yup! Time to be more careful Whistle lol

Got a quote of £300 to repair all the scratches and respray the damaged areas on the whole landy, not just the roll over damage so thats good news!

Did get a few more bits to tidy it up and improve its usability,

DGS Wind Deflectors, half the price of Climair and identical as far as I can tell

Click image to enlarge

NJI Ali locking top cover, Raptor'd black, means I can actually keep stuff in the boot and not worry about it being nicked! Going to add some internal LED lighting and link it into the 10AS alarm.

Click image to enlarge

Loadspace Raptor'd, sound insulation, waterproof and durable can't complain! Took two bottles for two coats.

Click image to enlarge

A nice little place to house the Blue Sea Aux fuse box and my CB radio inside the MUD Cubby Locker

Click image to enlarge

Added a 3.5mm aux jack for the CB to plug into the head unit when in use -

Click image to enlarge

Also going to add a panel mount microphone jack when it arrives from HK.

X-Eng column lock fitted! So easy and quick to fit, hardest part is relocating the immobiliser ring

Also found a nice 6x6 RCC Fire Truck when I was out shooting the other day!

Last edited by bankz5152 on 3rd Apr 2017 2:14pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #612493 27th Mar 2017 12:00pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Classic 90 too Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #612498 27th Mar 2017 12:10pm
bankz5152

It was utterly rotten, bulkhead was barely attached to the windscreen, outriggers where non existent I reckon even starting it and it would fall to bits! Shocked
Post #612509 27th Mar 2017 12:32pm
bankz5152

Boot lid is on!

Post #614219 3rd Apr 2017 2:15pm
bankz5152

Pretty big update today! Been working hard over the weekend and last week getting all the front soundproofing, new wiring, aux fuse box and new carpet in. Not finished yet but getting close!

3mm Closed Cell Foam fitted, closed cell as it does not hold water, perfect for a landy! I chose not to foam the seatbox ends as I did on my 90 and it made the doors a little tough to close properly.

Click image to enlarge

Bought a stepped drill bit set to modify the MUD cubby locker easily for what I want and I bloody love it! Cuts through ali like butter and happily cuts through steel!

Grommets in and a test fit

Battery cable run in, from the battery box, underneath and up through the inspection hatch

Click image to enlarge

Test fit for everything. It houses my CB radio (+mic storage), aux fuse box and subwoofer amp + x2 aux sockets (one will eventually be a switched live)

Slow process of wiring has begun!

Click image to enlarge

Many hours, days even later plus some damaged figure tips and an argument with a man at Maplin and everything is wired in! For now anyway

Cable also runs into the boot where there will be x2 12 fag sockets and LED courtesy lighting

Incase you where wondering "well thats a bit stupid, how do you connect your CB mic? Isnt that going to fly around when off road?" Answer NO! I found a panel mount mic extension from China, fitted using my stepped drill bit again Very Happy Also has a 3.5mm aux connection for plugging the CB into the head unit or an external speaker should I decide to fit one.

Also modified the cubby box and lid to hid the subwoofer wiring, it now runs internally through the cubby and the MUD locker lid

Click image to enlarge

Cable is secured to the lid (now wrapped in nylon braid) to ensure it doesnt snag or catch when I slide the lid back to access

Click image to enlarge

Heres how the MUD locker works!

Current aux loom running from the centre console neatly tucked against the transmission tunnel, the carpet here will be held in place via velcro.

Click image to enlarge

Any wiring thats 'on show' or will be sheathed in nylon braid 'coz its pretty and gives some level of protection

Got some SP LR brushed stainless steel door threshes (cheapest available with the best fitting imo)

Click image to enlarge

x2 coats of acid etch to fend off potential galvanic corrosion, for a time at least

Click image to enlarge

Carpet going back in! Christ this was a nightmare, I decided to go for the LRI Solutions premium carpet set as it has more coverage than the Exmoor Trim variant but instead of being moulded like the ET stuff its just template cut and designed to be secured with spray glue which I didnt want to do as it makes a horrific mess and wouldn't work too well with the current soundproofing/cable so a lot of it had to be trimmed down. Half of it wasnt even used....

So instead I used a combination of regular double sided tape and Gorilla glue heavy duty double sided tape for high wear/pull areas. Worked well so far.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The door threshes have done a perfect job of holding the carpet in place and look bloody good!

Click image to enlarge

Drivers side almost complete! Got that really nice "new car smell" brewing as well!

Click image to enlarge

Did a few other bits as well, cleaned up the seatbelt anchors and recoated with Buzzwelds CIO also enlarged the holes ever so slightly to allow for M8 fixings instead of the old M6s. Seatbelt fasteners where also coated with CIO.

Seeing as the carpet isnt 100% perfectly lined up on the corners I think I'll get some of the LRI Solutions corner protectors and use some of the used carpet to cover them, finish the look.

CB Aerial has been moved to the boot lid as well, means I can keep it attached at all times + it's out the way. Fitted with silicone sealant to stem leaks -

Click image to enlarge

Also borrowed a big ass rivnut tool and bought some new special LR rivnuts to repair my passenger seat as currently I've got no chance of fitting it back in place!

175amp Anderson connector on the passenger footwell has also been fitted in the event I need a jump or someone else does. While everything was in bits I changed the fuel pump relay, nothing wrong with it but for £6 worth doing.

Post #615999 11th Apr 2017 11:36am
L110CDL

England 
You have been busy Very Happy great update and the sliding cubby box, great idea Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #616403 12th Apr 2017 9:18pm
Liam

Netherlands 
Impressive work - makes we want to start some projects!
Post #616414 12th Apr 2017 10:07pm
bankz5152

L110CDL wrote:
You have been busy Very Happy great update and the sliding cubby box, great idea Thumbs Up

Cheers! Only place I could think I putting it without doing an enormous amount of wiring otherwise! Very busy! haha

Its coming along really well! One thing that was bloody annoying though is the LR rivnuts I bought off ebay, the listing stated "x6" only one arrived! I need two, being easter next available delivery date is bloody Tuesday. Guess it will be limo style until then haha

Last edited by bankz5152 on 13th Apr 2017 10:58am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #616490 13th Apr 2017 10:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>