↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Not my defender but my trailer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Not my defender but my trailer
I have just about finished by summer project of refurbishing my 30 year old trailer. I have owned it 20 years as it came as part of the deal with my first 90. Mechanically it was sound as I overhauled the brakes and bearings about 6 years ago and it has only done a few hundred miles since.

I started in at the end of July and just got it on the road this weekend. Full respect to those that can do a full chassis change and rebuild in less than the time it took me to do this!

It has been out of action for 2 years and probably should really have been a bit longer than that. It needed quite a bit of corrosion cut out and replacement metal welded in. This was the bulk of the delay as I don't weld and had to wait until a mate could do it.

It lives outside so needed a total rub down and repainted. Previously it had just been hammerited which just flaked off. Now it is undercoated with a 2 pack epoxy as used offshore and then two coats of tetrosyl chassis black. Hoping the black won’t flake off!

Click image to enlarge

Tailgate needed a total rebuild and I have replaced all the light fittings with LED. I had in the past fitted landrover lights to keep common with the vehicle but most were pretty corroded so was a lot easier going for cheap ebay LED.

Two jobs left to do – a floor and sort out the snapped/seized jockey wheel bolt. I think this will need drilled and tapped as I have broken two stud extractors trying to move it.

Click image to enlarge

Any recommendations for a floor? It needs to survive being outside though will put a cover over it going forward. I was thinking of Phenolic Coated Plywood but it is very pricey. I need about 9ft by 5ft. Something plastic /composite might be another option.

Click image to enlarge
Post #586364 19th Dec 2016 5:39pm
dorsetsmith

Post #586375 19th Dec 2016 6:25pm
Scotm

Thanks for the suggestion but looks a little pricey for the qty I need. Also would need a lot of fixings.
Post #586530 20th Dec 2016 2:11pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I have done a few for friends and have used either Phenolic Resin Plywood 18 or 22 mm or Stokbord .

What ever the flooring you use I would put the lighting cables under the chassis members to prevent damage. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #586542 20th Dec 2016 3:01pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Phenolic board would be best. Aren't you going to paint the inside of the wood? Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #586560 20th Dec 2016 4:48pm
Scotm

Thanks - I think Phenolic board is my preferred solution at the moment.

It isn't that clear from the photos but the cables are all under the chassis members apart from where they go over the axles. The axles are slightly lower than the floor level and will have a packer piece between them and the floor so the cables won't rub.

The wood sides are all pressure treated timber - The outside paint is purely for cosmetics. I have never painted the inside on the rationale that it will end up filled with rubbish and the paint will easily be damaged!
Post #586561 20th Dec 2016 4:50pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Stokbord/stockboard/... - it's a recycled plastic that's extremely tough and hardwearing. Half our farm is made of it Laughing
It will droop a bit if it's unsupported and it gets warm, but it looks like you've got plenty of support there.

We've used it for walls, roofs, mounting our main electrical DBs, floors (similar applications to what you need), guards for things... loads of stuff. It's easy to work with, doesn't rot, it's great.
Post #586579 20th Dec 2016 6:17pm
Vogler

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
Looks nice and has a classic feel, like the colour too. Ideal excuse to add a Series next to Defender. Very Happy

Regards,

Joris
Post #586619 20th Dec 2016 8:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1