↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > gearbox chatter..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
hadenough

United Kingdom 
We have had 3 clutches 2 transfer boxes still not wright.
We had the LR enginer down waste of time they will not lesson to you this is are 13th 110 unlucky for us.
When will they addmitt they have got it wrong.
We are thinking of leaving the vehicle outside the dealership and giveing them the keys we are that feed up with it.
Post #5456 13th Dec 2008 7:40am
tedcliff

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Hello
Just a quick one since it sounds like you know your defender, mine is a 2008 defender 90 and had the clutch replaced @ 12k due to bad rattle and upon return the clutch was so stiff (mentioned to the service manager before i left the service deprtment) they recommended me to put 2K to see if it would loosen up but it did not. Returned it back to the dealer and they replaced the clutch release bearing. now i put 1K on it and everytime i press the clutch in and release it clunks any ideas?

Landy nut wrote:
Hi one_iota,

After reading your report there, something is saying there may be a problem with the spigot bush as well to me. Perhaps when they put it in it was not properly greased. They always whine when cold when they are not greased enough and will play havoc on gearchanges (usually first to second) and use of the clutch as they get worse. Funnily enough, the whine always normally sounds worse when it is wet outside or really damp, but should improve in warm and dry conditions. This sounds like it could be a spigot bush/bearing problem and possibly something related to your clutch as well. They should look for this the next time the clutch is out. It requires taking out the clutch and flywheel (which sits behind), then popping the little devil out and putting a well greased new one in.
The rattles could well be the clutch springs or rivets though, but some of the rest points to spigot.

If I was placing money on it, with the symptoms you are describing, that is where my bet would be. Seen it before and fixed it before.

Best of luck.

Landy nut
Post #5465 13th Dec 2008 5:35pm
mrwoo

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
All you guys with problems with clutches, are you having them replaced down to bad sounds or down to actual compromises in clutch operation. I've got a clutch that clunks when released in neutral and a transmission that rattles when idle ling in 1st but as far as I'm concerned it's quite normal for the Defender technology???? Same in the TD5, 300TDi, 200TDi etc etc

My Puma has done 28k and there are certain noises that you are better off getting used to, my previous 300TDi would of cost me a fortune if I replaced things based on rattles rather than part failure.

Rich….

Last edited by mrwoo on 14th Dec 2008 9:56am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #5467 13th Dec 2008 9:00pm
one_iota

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
You have a good point Rich.

Defendernoiseitis could be an easy neurosis to develop.

In my case the noise was symptomatic of a Censored clutch. Mine is noticably quieter now that the clutch has been replaced. Mahn
'08 Defender 110
ex '95 Disco 300 Tdi
www.aulro.com
Post #5472 14th Dec 2008 1:52am
tedcliff

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
your are right but the clutch that was replaced at 12k the springs were busted. after replacement the only problem i had was that the clutch was extremely stiff. after replacing the clutch release bearing, it started the clunking when in neutral releasing the clutch (it changes gear everything is fine) has anybody did a lot of driving defenders in sand and dunes cause i am in the UAE. people do a lot of dune bashing in uae.
Post #5484 14th Dec 2008 5:14pm
Bosun

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I have to agree with you guys about "Defender Noises", but on brand new vehicles and with modern technology, surely that can't be acceptable. Especially when LR appear to be aware of the issues!
Post #5500 15th Dec 2008 9:17am
spudfan

Ireland 
The new Defender is so quiet compared to any other model,so are you sure it is not just the wife and kids you are hearing? Mr. Green 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #5520 15th Dec 2008 5:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12