↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > gearbox chatter..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
sib

gearbox chatter..
when driving up steep hills (plenty around Bath) or driving at motorway speeds there sometimes sounds like gearbox / transmission box "chatter" , this doesn`t happen all the time but when it does it`s loud enough for me to think this isn`t right. I don`t remember this noise on any previous Defenders I`ve owned.

I use the word "chatter" because if you say it as fast as you can, that`s the noise it makes !

any clues ??

Sib
Bath
`08 130 DC Sib
Bath UK
1952 80 inch
1973 88 inch
2018 Morgan plus 4 narrow body
Post #2548 24th Jun 2008 7:05pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
My Utility's box Chattered and got replaced.. Guess what the new one has started to chatter now Shocked Big Cry
Post #2565 25th Jun 2008 8:23pm
sib

Andrew
What causes the chatter, any idea ? Is it doing it any harm or can it be left for a while..?

Sib Sib
Bath UK
1952 80 inch
1973 88 inch
Post #2605 29th Jun 2008 8:11pm
sib

Took it to MJ Fews (helpful bunch) who adjusted the handbrake thinking it was sticking slightly, no good so now reckon it is the gearbox. They replaced the box on similar issue and that fixed the problem...
new box then, I`ll let you know if they find out anything else but seems to be an issue on longer wheelbased puma`s.. Sib
Bath UK
1952 80 inch
1973 88 inch
Post #2691 13th Jul 2008 10:52am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
sib wrote:
Andrew
What causes the chatter, any idea ? Is it doing it any harm or can it be left for a while..?

Sib

Don't know Chap. What I do know is that when the car is parked with the engine off. I can get a similar noise to occur when I shake the gear leaver left to right very fast.
Post #2707 14th Jul 2008 4:01pm
Bosun

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Not sure if it's related, but according to LR customer relations, there have been some cases of loose rivets in clutch plate. They didn't say how many (loads probably), but I guess it won't help the gearbox chatter. Mine's being changed today, or at least looked at, as the cause of a relentless "clunk" everytime I let the clutch up. I'm not convinced it will fix the clunk as the clunk sounds very solid and metallic, more like crown wheel and pinion backlash.
Bosun.
Post #3177 12th Aug 2008 7:39am
sib

My 130 went to dealership today for some clutch work / replacement..
will keep you posted.. Sib
Bath UK
1952 80 inch
1973 88 inch
Post #3183 12th Aug 2008 5:52pm
CapeLandy

South Africa 
Clutch
Just had my clutch plate re-furbished due to loose rivets and even the springs were loose. All replaced and new clutch lining and re-secured but now can't gear down and use engine break.
Also noise in gearbox still there - wasn't only the clutch making the noise.
Now I will insist that they change the clutch plate with genuine one and take out the gearbox and renew.
Bloody hell - what next?

Oh yes - the rear diff needs to be changed - making drone sound on deceleration Puma 110 - gone
Series III 1973 - going strong
Post #3184 12th Aug 2008 7:57pm
Bosun

This whole saga doesn't sound promising. I thought the Transit gearbox was suposed to be "white van man" proof! I'm begining to wonder if LR realy know what the problem is. Sounds l ike there's a bit of guesswork going on. While mine's in for the clutch, I've got a Gaylander 2 as a lone car. Not too impressed with the vehicle generally, ergonomics are poor, and it's too big for a small car, but the TD4 engine and auto box are very good. Why on earth couldn't they get the Defender right. Maybe Mr Tata can fix it.
Bosun.
Post #3186 13th Aug 2008 7:05am
Bosun

New clutch seems to have fixed the "clunk" when I let the clutch pedal up, but the 1st to 2nd shift still isn't good. Loose rivets apparently.
Bosun.
Post #3224 18th Aug 2008 9:31am
one_iota

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Mine has gradually developed a similar noise. Now at 7000 kms. Do any of the following symptoms ring a bell with those who have had clutches replaced?

1. In neutral with the engine running when I let the clutch out there is a clunk at the point where the clutch engages. The faster I let the clutch out the louder the clunk.

2. When idling forward in gear with load there is a rattle until I accelerate.

3. When the drive train is cold on hard acceleration in first and second gear there is a loud low pitched whine like something is rubbing. It goes away when the load goes off after 3000 rpm. (At first I thought that it was induction noise heard more now that the snorkel is installed).

4. When changing gears the first noise can be heard. (Sounds like drive train so the drive shaft bolts will be checked)

From what I have gleaned from the above I reckon its a loose rivet and dodgy springs in the clutch plate issue.

So it's "Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to workshop I go". But some feedback would be useful and appreciated so that I can give the poor dears some guidance.Rolling Eyes Mahn
'08 Defender 110
ex '95 Disco 300 Tdi
www.aulro.com
Post #4472 4th Nov 2008 10:31am
Landy nut

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 PU Epsom Green
Hi one_iota,

After reading your report there, something is saying there may be a problem with the spigot bush as well to me. Perhaps when they put it in it was not properly greased. They always whine when cold when they are not greased enough and will play havoc on gearchanges (usually first to second) and use of the clutch as they get worse. Funnily enough, the whine always normally sounds worse when it is wet outside or really damp, but should improve in warm and dry conditions. This sounds like it could be a spigot bush/bearing problem and possibly something related to your clutch as well. They should look for this the next time the clutch is out. It requires taking out the clutch and flywheel (which sits behind), then popping the little devil out and putting a well greased new one in.
The rattles could well be the clutch springs or rivets though, but some of the rest points to spigot.

If I was placing money on it, with the symptoms you are describing, that is where my bet would be. Seen it before and fixed it before.

Best of luck.

Landy nut
Post #4476 4th Nov 2008 1:36pm
one_iota

Thank you Landy nut,

That is very useful information. I just hope my dealer's mechanics have the wit and skill to implement it. Very Happy

As an aside I find that the dealers warranty service process is very much an arms length one. I am used to talking to the person who does the job (With the Disco I talked to me or a Forum). So while I am impressed with the SMS text messages from the service department reminding me that the car is booked in I don't like not being able to chew the fat with the bloke wearing the greasy overalls. Maybe that suits (excuse the pun) the RRS owners but I like to know what makes this thing tick. Mahn
'08 Defender 110
ex '95 Disco 300 Tdi
www.aulro.com
Post #4496 5th Nov 2008 10:28am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I just had the later clutch fitted to mine under warranty as the old one had developed a death rattle in low rev / high load situations. Fortunately the guy who actually does the work at the dealer I use is quite happy to sit and have a natter about what he's done etc.
Post #4498 5th Nov 2008 1:20pm
one_iota

New clutch and spigot bush fitted and two fuel sensors (seperate issue).

Thanks to this forum for the heads up.

Three days in the workshop and a Volvo as a loan car...one of those little 4 door 2.4 litre jobs. The dealer apologised that it wasn't a Freelander and I was underwhelmed by the Volvo experience but not ungrateful.

Nice to have the Defender back. Very Happy Mahn
'08 Defender 110
ex '95 Disco 300 Tdi
www.aulro.com
Post #5444 12th Dec 2008 8:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>